Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by beachfan
And the rumour is that they are eliminating the free stopovers, so they are exploiting some ambiguity there.
BA eliminating free stopovers like AA did when introducing "flex awards" wouldn't surprise me. [AA allows free stopovers at the North American gateway on long-haul international trips at least but eliminated most of the stopover choices that it previously used to allow.] So that would leave something like "free" stopovers at LHR and/or MAD/BCN.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Free stopovers will remain
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Prospero
Free stopovers will remain
In exactly all the ways they are currently allowed? I'll be positively shocked if some of the stuff BA has been allowing for free stopovers will be allowed to remain for a long, long time without a price hike in one form or another.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Prospero
The zonal model will still exist so you will not be penalised for a multi segment reward within a single zone. However jumping between the east and west coasts will be more expensive than it currently is. Without the full matrix it is difficult to quantify the exact differences.
Unless you've seen something I haven't I think you're assuming the "distance based zone model" or whatever the heck it was called is ex-London not ex-origin. If it's the latter and applied to US domestic flights it will create more partner award zones in the US than currently exist in Europe. As you say, without a matrix or fuller explanation it's hard to tell.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Any academics looking at the general differences in British and American mindsets ought to study this thread in quite some detail.

Makes me shudder at the thought of being a regular on the AA boards, if this lot are a representative sample. How quick to assume the worst and make negative judgements on things they know nothing about!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Teefaf
Any academics looking at the general differences in British and American mindsets ought to study this thread in quite some detail.

Makes me shudder at the thought of being a regular on the AA boards, if this lot are a representative sample. How quick to assume the worst and make negative judgements on things they know nothing about!
If you want to make generalizations, then I think time will show we know when we are being misled and are not gullible. There is enough said by Nicci to know the PR isn't true.

3% of the routes going up does not jive with partner awards being changed to distance based awards. While there have been a few who don't recognize that the distance probably won't be calculated via LHR, it still doesn't mean 3% is true.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I beg to differ:
  • North America-Far East: 50K vs. 120K
  • NA-SW Pacific: 80K vs. 140K

Any suggestion that there is "little difference" in these amounts aligns rather poorly with the facts.
Economy to North America to Far eat will be 120K miles now instead of 50K?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
And Yanks accuse the British of being cynical...

For the first time in ages BA have made an announcement that, on balance, is pretty good news and I cannot believe the amount of whinging on this thread.

Airmiles collectors I think have a genuine gripe. Everyone else - take the rough with the smooth. I for one think it's a good announcement and deals with an awful lot of the inequalities and oddities in the program as it is now in a fair way. I'll wait and see what the next couple of months bring, but so far I'm fairly pleased with what I see.

BAH
what part of a route costing 3x as much is good news ? Are yous stupid?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by cazic99
Economy to North America to Far eat will be 120K miles now instead of 50K?
Nothing official has been said to suggest this.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I do believe Prospero is correct, that although the intent is to make partner awards "the same" as BA awards, that means similar miles for similar routings.

BA awards NA-Asia assume transiting through LHR. So while I'm pretty sure it will go up, not as much as the current BA chart implies.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:08 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
what part of a route costing 3x as much is good news ?
We do not have any confirmation (unless I've missed it, in which case I'd be grateful if you could point to it) or reason to believe that any redemption rates will be increasing by anything resembling 200%.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Euan
That's based on my assumptions which could be anything from 0-100% correct

A big issue that BA have is flooding the marketing with BA miles via Chase for people who don't pay YQ with any American airline. At the end of the day they don't hide from the fact they charge YQ on awards but you then have a lot of new members only prepared to consider partner awards. It's just unfortunate that those awards look like they could potentially change the most.

So far the changes look more favorable to UK/EU members and why shouldn't they be. It's a British airline and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a sign up bonus of 100,000 miles with a credit card in the UK.
British Airline that has been lying and cheating American Customers using a American Credit Card. If they devalue this to the point of the miles being worthless. I think a Class Action is in order.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
British Airline that has been lying and cheating American Customers using a American Credit Card. If they devalue this to the point of the miles being worthless. I think a Class Action is in order.
Bingo!

Surprised this one didn't come along earlier.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by azepine00
and BA will lose a lot of members from this region (just in time for SAN-LHR launch)

This really made me chuckle!
clearly a BA member who uses BA loads and has failed to realise that this route was restarted back in June 2011 !

cs
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
So I'm correct in reading that BA will not post the new reward chart until the effective date in November, giving no one any ability to plan or change plans until it's too late (aside from the sample of certain new routes in the announcement)? I think that's very poor on BA's part. Usually airlines provide the pending new chart at least a few months out, and that's with only minor tweaks (as UA did this year).
The Devil has the initials B.A.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.