Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by BA304
Perhaps the reason the award chart isn't being released is because it offers much better redemption rates and BA doesn't want to discourage people from spending miles in the interim?
Congrats BA304! You just won the FT Joke of the Day Award
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:17 pm
Suspended

From what I understand of the main changes announced it's interesting to note, from a OW perspective, that changes ushered in over a number of years by the QF program may have been a test bed (much as Sky used to use the UK as a testbed for product and pricing changes that other NewsCorp-owned TV platforms were considering introducing in other markets) for what's now being rolled out across BA and IB programs.

I am circumspect about the suggested introduction of a second tier of reward availability, this is exactly what QF did with its program, effectively devaluing any banked miles and making it harder to find any awards at more sensible rates.

I've no axe to grind but am curious about the intentions here.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:20 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by ariyo15
Congrats BA304! You just won the FT Joke of the Day Award
Thanks.

Just trying to point out that we shouldn't jump to conclusions without the full facts.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by BA304
Perhaps the reason the award chart isn't being released is because it offers much better redemption rates and BA doesn't want to discourage people from spending miles in the interim?
Well I for one will be booking some LHR-TLV awards under the current rates!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by clubman
Well I for one will be booking some LHR-TLV awards under the current rates!
With fuel charges etc. even today flying LHR-TLV is not a bargain. What were they thinking over there at BA?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If partner awards are going to the BA award level, then how could it be only 3% of the routes increasing in miles?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Shouldn't this thread now be retitled "Massive Devaluation to Partner Awards Announced"?

Or since that might be impolite to the official rep, maybe it would be appropriate to start another thread to discuss? I mean that is the big news here. People who liked using BA miles to fly AA to South America, etc. are going to be reamed, while a bone is thrown to those that don't mind paying the ridiculous surcharges on BA international flights (which will require fewer miles).

No, actually I am proven right. The big news about the partner devaluation was hidden in the initial announcement, but has since been confirmed, at least on Lucky's blog. The reduction in miles on some BA routes is a small bone and no way offsets the costs to millions of BA's north american members that don't use their miles on the short haul intra-Euro routes. And there is no change to the heinous fuel surcharge or LHR luxury taxes, which are a big disincentive to book BA metal with miles and virtually a deal-killer on cattle car awards.
my heart as sunk if this is true.....
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:57 pm

As a person who converted miles from a CC yesterday to BAEC and who flys on CX with BA miles for rewards, versus keeping them on the CC and converting to AA instead, I am very concerned. Especially having just added 225000 miles to my BA account on the assumption yesterday that was good enough for two J seats to HKG from YYZ on CX....now going to find out it might not be nearly enough...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Euan
Because a lot of them like to redeem from JFK-HKG in CX First class for 150,000 miles. Based on the new 'distance' chart it's likely that route will increase (distance is over 8,000 miles). The other good redemption for US based member is North America to South America which is also likely to increase as it's c. 5,200 miles so will increase.
For many North American BAEC members (myself included), the partner reward flights to Asia and/or South America are the only reason to collect BA miles (whether through travel or credit card rewards). If those rewards become much more expensive, we are taking a pretty major hit. BA is well within their rights to do what they're doing, but that doesn't mean we can't be more than a little disappointed.

Having said that, how much more are the rewards really going to be? They wouldn't make the distance-based reward costs for BA/one partner/BA+partner worse than the two-or-more-partner costs, would they? And since they've said the two-or-more-partner chart won't change, that would mean, for example, that JFK-HKG-JFG will still be 60k/120k/180k for economy/business/first on two or more partners (and so that would have to be the ceiling for what it will cost under the new system, no?)
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
It's the dishonesty in the announcement that is most disturbing.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by dre_techie
I would also be very interested to read the answer to this. What would the avios-age (mileage) requirement be?
As I said when I replied earlier, the mileage for these routes hasn't been published and BAEC have said this will be published at launch (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17035794-post266.html).

Based on the fact it's moving to distance based it would suggest that they will increase in mileage. JFK-HKG is over 8,000 miles and JFK-EZE is over 5,200. LHR-EZE is 6,900 miles and 70,000 miles for Y return redemption.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Euan
As I said when I replied earlier, the mileage for these routes hasn't been published and BAEC have said this will be published at launch (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17035794-post266.html).

Based on the fact it's moving to distance based it would suggest that they will increase in mileage. JFK-HKG is over 8,000 miles and JFK-EZE is over 5,200. LHR-EZE is 6,900 miles and 70,000 miles for Y return redemption.
so a pretty substantial devaluation for those in NA in other words to be announced in due course.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
so a pretty substantial devaluation for those in NA in other words to be announced in due course.
That's based on my assumptions which could be anything from 0-100% correct

A big issue that BA have is flooding the marketing with BA miles via Chase for people who don't pay YQ with any American airline. At the end of the day they don't hide from the fact they charge YQ on awards but you then have a lot of new members only prepared to consider partner awards. It's just unfortunate that those awards look like they could potentially change the most.

So far the changes look more favorable to UK/EU members and why shouldn't they be. It's a British airline and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a sign up bonus of 100,000 miles with a credit card in the UK.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
NO! Calm down NA guys... BA have not said what the mileage requirements will be... It will, I am sure, not be the via LHR amounts, but at the same time, it might well increase slightly to match the number of miles non-us people need for a similar length flight... I think we are talking a max of 50k to 70k rather than 50k to 110k... Wait and see before slating it, and if really worried, PM Nicci and ask.

To say this has all been underhand, when we do not know what will happen is just stupid! If it turns out that JFK to hkg will cost the same as jkf-LHR-hkg, then you can say is underhand....
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Blue, UA Member, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Blue, AVIS Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by darren22
For many North American BAEC members (myself included), the partner reward flights to Asia and/or South America are the only reason to collect BA miles (whether through travel or credit card rewards). If those rewards become much more expensive, we are taking a pretty major hit. BA is well within their rights to do what they're doing, but that doesn't mean we can't be more than a little disappointed.
I live in Buenos Aires and the only reason I and all of my family have chosen to earn BA Miles and not earn miles with AA or LAN is because of that, the mileage rate between South America and USA is low compared to other airlines. We have now about 140K so, if they increase the mileage needed to travel between those destinations will make me fly no more with BA and change to another airline or alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.