Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:37 pm

Agree, "Massive Devaluation to Partner Awards Announced".
I'm surprised that people only find this out after 20 pages. I guess this is BA's no hiding of information.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Shouldn't this thread now be retitled "Massive Devaluation to Partner Awards Announced"?

Or since that might be impolite to the official rep, maybe it would be appropriate to start another thread to discuss? I mean that is the big news here. People who liked using BA miles to fly AA to South America, etc. are going to be reamed, while a bone is thrown to those that don't mind paying the ridiculous surcharges on BA international flights (which will require fewer miles).

No, actually I am proven right. The big news about the partner devaluation was hidden in the initial announcement, but has since been confirmed, at least on Lucky's blog. The reduction in miles on some BA routes is a small bone and no way offsets the costs to millions of BA's north american members that don't use their miles on the short haul intra-Euro routes. And there is no change to the heinous fuel surcharge or LHR luxury taxes, which are a big disincentive to book BA metal with miles and virtually a deal-killer on cattle car awards.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by milaohu
Good job! BA!

US -Asia will rise from 50k/100k/150k to 120k/240k/360k for eco/busi/first class return trip!

That's 240% more. I feel this is one of the major purposes of changing. "new revitalised Executive Club is coming"
How do you know that it will be 120k/240k/360k when they haven't published the new redemption chart?

Partner rewards pricing gets simpler - the new pricing grid which we will publish at launch should be used for BA only flights, BA plus one partner or partner only flights. The current oneworld multicarrier redemption will also continue to be used for bookings containing more than one partner.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
So...right now I have a ORD-HKG First Class Award on Cathay Pacific for 150,000 BA miles.

Under the BA only award chart this same trip would cost 360,000 BA miles.

This is a HUGE devaluation of British Airways miles for US-based members.

I will no longer be flying British Airways, using my Chase BA card or transferring any more Amex membership rewards points to Executive Club if this proves to be even remotely accurate.
Business decision by BA. Selling BA miles to be redeemed against their own empty seats makes money. Selling miles to be redeemed against other airlines' seats does not.

American members please turn out the lights after you leave.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:41 pm

So...right now I have a ORD-HKG First Class Award on Cathay Pacific for 150,000 BA miles.

Under the BA only award chart this same trip would cost 360,000 BA miles.

This is a HUGE devaluation of British Airways miles for US-based members.

I will no longer be flying British Airways, using my Chase BA card or transferring any more Amex membership rewards points to Executive Club if this proves to be even remotely accurate.
It would cost 360,000 miles under the current reward chart but...

Partner rewards pricing gets simpler - the new pricing grid which we will publish at launch should be used for BA only flights, BA plus one partner or partner only flights. The current oneworld multicarrier redemption will also continue to be used for bookings containing more than one partner.
So at the moment no-one knows what redemption rates will be for North America to Asia, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by redshift27
American members please turn out the lights after you leave.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Euan

So at the moment no-one knows what redemption rates will be for North America to Asia, etc.
^ correct. But of course we can still be optimistic that the previous interpretations turn out o be accurate.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:48 pm
Ambassador

Can someone point me in the direction of the information detailing where all this bad news is coming from?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Euan
What's very interesting is that during the day (UK) time the majority of BAEC members have been happy with the changes proposed.
When whatever devaluation there may be hits hardest those who are not redeeming primarily for trips originating and/or ending in the UK, isn't it to be expected that those who get hit hardest by a devaluation would be communicating their disappointment?

Does anyone recall in what year it was that BA started hitting its mileage ticket customers with fuel surcharges?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The predictable responses ...
Holy crap if this is true... and it seems fairly accurate. <snip> So I assume we have until November 1 to book under the current redemption charts... if so, yea, I'm planning to book and burn the 380,000 remaining miles on my BA account pretty fast.
All this based on partial information?

Meanwhile, back on Planet Reality ...
What's very interesting is that during the day (UK) time the majority of BAEC members have been happy with the changes proposed.
And as someone said ...
It is a British airline after all.
Hey, you folks "over there". Have a cool beer and stop being so hyper.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
I am always even more skeptical when 'enhancement's are stated, yet the award chart doesn't come out until the day the 'enhancements' are made? This is truly a major devaluation for partner awards.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boraxo
No, actually I am proven right. The big news about the partner devaluation was hidden in the initial announcement, but has since been confirmed, at least on Lucky's blog.
All he did was quote a post from here. If you're going to give anyone credit for "confirming" the new partner chart data you should place it where it is due: right here.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191

Hey, you folks "over there". Have a cool beer and stop being so hyper.
We'd be a lot less hyper if the changes effective Nov. 1 were announced now so we'd have time to make the best of the current award chart.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We'd be a lot less hyper if the changes effective Nov. 1 were announced now so we'd have time to make the best of the current award chart.
Yes, but they're not. So live with it. Simple as that.

I'm heading your way in 2 weeks, and forward booked until May 2012. Do you hear me whining? You work with "now", and eventually work with "then". It's called reality. I may have burned more Miles on MFU of forward bookings between LHR and IAD than I would under the new system, but that's what sometimes happens when you plan ahead. I certainly wasn't expecting East Coast redemptions to be cheaper [Miles-wise], but I'll enjoy that post-May next year.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:09 pm

The cynical part of me wonders about the timing of the very recent, generous offer to transfer American Express points to BA...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:12 pm
Ambassador

Perhaps the reason the award chart isn't being released is because it offers much better redemption rates and BA doesn't want to discourage people from spending miles in the interim?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.