Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:22 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
so a pretty substantial devaluation for those in NA in other words
That's far too sweeping. "Probably a fairly substantial devaluation for those in NA who don't want to redeem on BA" is more like it -- and that strikes me, with a home in NA, as fair enough.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
The cynical part of me wonders about the timing of the very recent, generous offer to transfer American Express points to BA...
I have no doubts about the maliciousness of the timing. I also fell for the MR transfer and transferred much too many points. I'd flown the transcon occassionally but not enough to rack up serious points... so beefed with the MR offer. And BA just robbed me outright. And now we have the nice BA customer service rep now on FT explaining the changes. So nice indeed!

But this is my fault. Should have known that 50% transfer bonus was done with negative intentions. I will avoid BA for cash paying tickets in the future. My mini-revenge, which over the years will add up... but not add up to anything they or anyone else will really care about.

As an aside, the europeans are partaking in a little to much schadenfreude on this board for my taste... guess it tastes better with an afternoon tea.

Last edited by shanshan; Sep 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by darren22
Having said that, how much more are the rewards really going to be? They wouldn't make the distance-based reward costs for BA/one partner/BA+partner worse than the two-or-more-partner costs, would they? And since they've said the two-or-more-partner chart won't change, that would mean, for example, that JFK-HKG-JFG will still be 60k/120k/180k for economy/business/first on two or more partners (and so that would have to be the ceiling for what it will cost under the new system, no?)
You're being a bit too optimistic. 60/120/180 only gets you a one way trip JFK-HKG
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Euan
That's based on my assumptions which could be anything from 0-100% correct

So far the changes look more favorable to UK/EU members and why shouldn't they be. It's a British airline and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a sign up bonus of 100,000 miles with a credit card in the UK.
Perhaps because there are plenty of biases against West Coast US passengers already:

1) Award availability from West Coast US to LHR is loaded a month before LHR - Europe/Asia/Africa miles. So I saw J award space in LHR-MLE which I wanted for my 30th anniversary, but they didn't load LAX-LHR until a month later (which by that time it was gone).

2) Because they charge more YQ on the same flight when booked in dollars than in pounds (they implied exchange rate is over 2:1).

3) Because the YQ for 1 person LAX-JNB is $1200 for one F ticket EXCLUDING taxes (i.e., pure YQ) already. The maximum YQ for a flight out of LHR is half that if booked in dollars and less than half that if booked in pounds. I know LAX-JNB is far, but is it double the longest route ex LHR?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:34 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by saacman5033
You're being a bit too optimistic. 60/120/180 only gets you a one way trip JFK-HKG
Yes.. r/t should be 100/200/300 under the multiple partners chart, I believe.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:35 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by beachfan
It's the dishonesty in the announcement that is most disturbing.
Give an example...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Jamjaw
To say this has all been underhand, when we do not know what will happen is just stupid! If it turns out that JFK to hkg will cost the same as jkf-LHR-hkg, then you can say is underhand....
Ditto a domestic redemption on AA - pricing the 182 miles AUS-DFW as AUS-LHR-DFW would render BAEC a laughing stock. What I am expecting to see is more harmonization of earn & burn rates between AA & BA. Does that imply AA will soon introduce different redemption rates from US east & west coast cities to Europe?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by bernardd
Ditto a domestic redemption on AA - pricing the 182 miles AUS-DFW as AUS-LHR-DFW would render BAEC a laughing stock. What I am expecting to see is more harmonization of earn & burn rates between AA & BA. Does that imply AA will soon introduce different redemption rates from US east & west coast cities to Europe?
As DFW and AUS will probably remain within the same band, the redemption amount probably will not change at all, or if it does, then not by much.

JFK and LAX we know will be in two adjacent bands so this redemption will probably cost a little more than a redemption between two NA cities in a common band
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by shanshan
I have no doubts about the maliciousness of the timing. I also fell for the MR transfer and transferred much too many points. I'd flown the transcon occassionally but not enough to rack up serious points... so beefed with the MR offer. And BA just robbed me outright. And now we have the nice BA customer service rep now on FT explaining the changes. So nice indeed!

But this is my fault. Should have known that 50% transfer bonus was done with negative intentions. I will avoid BA for cash paying tickets in the future. My mini-revenge, which over the years will add up... but not add up to anything they or anyone else will really care about.

As an aside, the europeans are partaking in a little to much schadenfreude on this board for my taste... guess it tastes better with an afternoon tea.
Don't understand.
USA-EZE on AA may go up from 40/80 to maybe 50/100 with Avios (given LHR-LAX is still 50k and further). But your 50% bonus translates from 40k to 60k, so you're quids in to the tune of 10k even IF there's a new higher rate.
You need to explain the "negative intention" and "robbery" here? Surely you are better off, all in?
Even if LAX-HKG goes to 75/150/225 its a push, after the 50% bonus.

and, what's cash tickets got to do with it. You'd rather pay $4k for AA F over $3.5k BA F were that choice ever offered (unlikely I'd admit ... but why rule it out?)
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
For clarity, the three award categories will be reduced to two. The BA plus one partner category and one partner other than BA category will be merged into a single category. As there is such little difference between the redemption amounts, the simplification does make sense.
I beg to differ:
  • North America-Far East: 50K vs. 120K
  • NA-SW Pacific: 80K vs. 140K

Any suggestion that there is "little difference" in these amounts aligns rather poorly with the facts.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:57 pm

The two main concerns (from here and various blogs) from North American members are what will the redemption rates be for North America to Asia and North America to South America.

JFK-HKG - 8,000 miles, currently 100,000 miles in J
JFK-EZE - 5,200 miles, currently 80,000 miles in J

If you base on similar distances to what BA announced today ex-UK...

JFK-HKG - 1,000 miles further than LHR-SIN which is 140,000 miles in J - an increase of 40% if you assume the same rate.
JFK-EZE - roughly same distance as LHR-LAX which is 100,000 miles in J - an increase of 25% if you assume the same rate.

Not catastrophic but the potential for a big increases in two popular routes from NA.

Note - I have nothing to back my assumptions... it could range from 0-100% correct
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Prospero
As DFW and AUS will probably remain within the same band, the redemption amount probably will not change at all, or if it does, then not by much.

JFK and LAX we know will be in two adjacent bands so this redemption will probably cost a little more than a redemption between two NA cities in a common band
Alternatively BA could treat JFK-LAX as equivalent to LHR -> (say)DME (I hope that's about the same distance?) and charge a radically different rate for that compared with AUS-DFW or JFK-BOS in place of the current blanket US domestic award.

There's a logic to that approach however it would hardly increase alignment with AAdvantage, which I believed was one ultimate goal of the JBA. Again, are we going to have BA charging different rates LAX-LHR than BOS-LHR while AA has the same redemption rate for both routes?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Give an example...

We’re listening to your feedback and from November we will start a journey that will develop and improve all elements of the Club, particularly the ones you’ve told us are important to you.
I am not aware of anyone here in California asking to increase what appears to be pretty much every single international award, in some cases almost 3x.

Our vision is to make the Executive Club feel more like a Club than just another frequent flyer programme. A Club that’s designed to truly benefit its members.
Geee I can feel the joy already.

I will send a note to Chase to let them know that BA miles they market to me are about to drastically decrease in value making it pointless for me to use chase card and collect them. I am pretty sure most of us here on the west coast face the same issues and BA will lose a lot of members from this region (just in time for SAN-LHR launch)
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by azepine00
I am not aware of anyone here in California asking to increase what appears to be pretty much every single international award, in some cases almost 3x.

Geee I can feel the joy already.

I will send a note to Chase to let them know that BA miles they market to me are about to drastically decrease in value making it pointless for me to use chase card and collect them. I am pretty sure most of us here on the west coast face the same issues and BA will lose a lot of members from this region (just in time for SAN-LHR launch)
And Yanks accuse the British of being cynical...

For the first time in ages BA have made an announcement that, on balance, is pretty good news and I cannot believe the amount of whinging on this thread.

Airmiles collectors I think have a genuine gripe. Everyone else - take the rough with the smooth. I for one think it's a good announcement and deals with an awful lot of the inequalities and oddities in the program as it is now in a fair way. I'll wait and see what the next couple of months bring, but so far I'm fairly pleased with what I see.

BAH
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by bernardd
Alternatively BA could treat JFK-LAX as equivalent to LHR -> (say)DME (I hope that's about the same distance?) and charge a radically different rate for that compared with AUS-DFW or JFK-BOS in place of the current blanket US domestic award
The zonal model will still exist so you will not be penalised for a multi segment reward within a single zone. However jumping between the east and west coasts will be more expensive than it currently is. Without the full matrix it is difficult to quantify the exact differences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.