Clinic Thread - Lounge access rules

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Clinic Thread - Lounge access rules

Details of the lounge access rules can be found here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...uidelines.html

The purpose of this thread is capture questions and answers around the fineprint of the access policy - how do I get access on a Domestic flight after arriving in J, and to which lounge. You get the picture.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 5, 2013 at 4:47 am Reason: update link to lounge access guidelines
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Arrivals Lounge

I am happy to kick this off with my understanding of the current access requirements relating to the arrivals lounges at LHR T3 and T5. Hopefully, those with expert knowledge can validate or indeed correct this.

London Heathrow Terminal 3
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge

Eligible for complimentary access:
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on a CX/QF operated service or BA operated long haul service
  • A oneworld Emerald who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service, irrespective of class of service
  • A BAEC Gold or QFFF Platinum card holder who has arrived into T3 on a BA/QF operated Kangaroo service, irrespective of class of service

Not eligible for complimentary access:
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T5 on a BA operated/AA codeshare service
  • An AAdvantage Executive Platinum or BAEC Gold card holder who has arrived into T5 on a BA operated/AA codeshare flight
  • A category of passenger not otherwise described in the list of eligible passengers above
  • Guests

Fee based entry is an option (currently US$ 90 plus VAT)

London Heathrow Terminal 5
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

• A First or Club World passenger arriving into T5
  • A BAEC Gold who has arrived into T5 on a BA operated long haul service, irrespective of class of service
  • An AAdvantage Executive Platinum who has arrived into T5 on a BA operated BA/AA Joint Business transatlantic service, irrespective of class of service

Not eligible for complimentary access:
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3
  • An AAdvantage Executive Platinum or BAEC Gold card holder who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated flight
  • A BAEC Gold or QFFF Platinum card holder who has arrived into T3 on a BA/QF operated Kangaroo service
  • A category of passenger not otherwise described in the list of eligible passengers above
  • Guests

There is no mechanism in place to pay for access into the Galleries Arrivals lounge

What is the current situation for passengers arriving into T5 on BA's DME service? Are CE and/or GCHs able to use the Galleries Arrivals lounge?

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm Reason: Incorporate info kindly provided by Moomba in post 3
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero

• A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on a BA/QF operated Kangaroo service
  • A oneworld Emerald who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service, irrespective of class of service
  • A BAEC Gold or QFFF Platinum card holder who has arrived into T3 on a BA/QF operated Kangaroo service, irrespective of class of service
Add CX J & F to the list eligible based on class of service.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum

What is the current situation for passengers arriving into T5 on BA's DME service? Are CE and/or GCHs able to use the Galleries Arrivals lounge?
I remember that on ba.com was saying that the CE passengers from the first DME-LHR flight of the day, (maybe Golds also) they had access to the arrivals lounge.

I checked right now but couldn't find it, did they change the rules?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by potakas
I remember that on ba.com was saying that the CE passengers from the first DME-LHR flight of the day, (maybe Golds also) they had access to the arrivals lounge.
I believe it is just CE pax on the first DME-LHR flight of the day.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

• A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on a BA/CX/QF operated service
Don't they have to be coming off a long-haul service (if it's BA)? And if you read http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ungeAccess.jsp it says only AA F/J customers and OWEs travelling in on AA can use it.
Fee based entry is an option (currently US$ 90 plus VAT)
That's harsh!

Last edited by stifle; Jul 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by stifle
Don't they have to be coming off a long-haul service (if it's BA)? And if you read http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ungeAccess.jsp it says only AA F/J customers and OWEs travelling in on AA can use it.
Yes, longhaul services only. AA contract the lounge out to BA, QF and CX customers.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Flying WTP & Lounge Access

Im almost sure this has been posted before but couldn't find an answer.

Flying WTP MAN-LHR-SFO-LHR-MAN

Now as far as i know we will get lounge access at MAN as WTP books into Business UK on the MAN-LHR flight but no lounge at LHR.

Question is does it work the other way round, i know we get no lounge access at SFO on the return but im sure it also books you into Business UK on the LHR-MAN flight when conneting from a WTP flight on the same PNR, Galleries access upon arriving into LHR ?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:51 am

Yes, you get lounge access on the MAN-LHR and LHR-MAN sectors as you are booked into the J fare bucket.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:52 am

You can always put your PNR reference into "www.checkmytrip.com" if you're not sure. That should tell you if it's "Business UK" or not.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your domestic sectors are booking into Business UK, then you will have lounge access at MAN (to the Terraces lounge) and LHR both outbound and inbound (to the Galleries Club lounges), but not at SFO or to Galleries Arrivals at LHR.

Remember to keep a hold of your Business UK boarding passes to gain access.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Genius1
If your domestic sectors are booking into Business UK, then you will have lounge access at MAN (to the Terraces lounge) and LHR both outbound and inbound (to the Galleries Club lounges), but not at SFO or to Galleries Arrivals at LHR.

Remember to keep a hold of your Business UK boarding passes to gain access.
Has already said i knew we would get lounge access at MAN outbound but if true, Galleries Club access while waiting for our SFO flight from LHR would be a bonus.

Guessing we are granted access at LHR on our outbound as technically our flight down from MAN makes us inbound J passengers.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedbird279
Guessing we are granted access at LHR on our outbound as technically our flight down from MAN makes us inbound J passengers.
Yep - Business UK is treated as business class, and therefore you're considered as a business class connecting passenger.

You might find that the lounge dragon takes a moment or two to work it out - you should probably helpfully say that you are inbound in Business UK and show both inbound and outbound boarding passes to prompt him/her
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
Yep - Business UK is treated as business class, and therefore you're considered as a business class connecting passenger.

You might find that the lounge dragon takes a moment or two to work it out - you should probably helpfully say that you are inbound in Business UK and show both inbound and outbound boarding passes to prompt him/her
I have tried this a few times, back in the day before my shiny card arrived, and was unsuccessful. Therefore, I would not get your hopes up on lounge access after the MAN-LHR segment.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Yes this seems to be a quirk of the booking system rather than any specific entitlement so it would be hard to argue the 'I arrived on an inbound business class flight' when there is no domestic business travel class. (Your World Traveller Plus class ticket booked you in the J fare class, but your travel class remains WT+)

Fingers crossed though you get lucky though as it would be a great start to the trip and it would be good for you to have somewhere to sit down and write your trip report and various posters have reported success. Have a great trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.