Clinic Thread - Lounge access rules

Old Jul 2, 11, 8:24 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,199
Clinic Thread - Lounge access rules

Details of the lounge access rules can be found here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...uidelines.html

The purpose of this thread is capture questions and answers around the fineprint of the access policy - how do I get access on a Domestic flight after arriving in J, and to which lounge. You get the picture.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 5, 13 at 5:47 am Reason: update link to lounge access guidelines
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 5:50 am
  #2  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 20,546
Arrivals Lounge

I am happy to kick this off with my understanding of the current access requirements relating to the arrivals lounges at LHR T3 and T5. Hopefully, those with expert knowledge can validate or indeed correct this.



London Heathrow Terminal 3
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge


Eligible for complimentary access:
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on a CX/QF operated service or BA operated long haul service
  • A oneworld Emerald who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service, irrespective of class of service
  • A BAEC Gold or QFFF Platinum card holder who has arrived into T3 on a BA/QF operated Kangaroo service, irrespective of class of service

Not eligible for complimentary access:
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T5 on a BA operated/AA codeshare service
  • An AAdvantage Executive Platinum or BAEC Gold card holder who has arrived into T5 on a BA operated/AA codeshare flight
  • A category of passenger not otherwise described in the list of eligible passengers above
  • Guests

Fee based entry is an option (currently US$ 90 plus VAT)



London Heathrow Terminal 5
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge


Eligible for complimentary access:
  • A First or Club World passenger arriving into T5
  • A BAEC Gold who has arrived into T5 on a BA operated long haul service, irrespective of class of service
  • An AAdvantage Executive Platinum who has arrived into T5 on a BA operated BA/AA Joint Business transatlantic service, irrespective of class of service

Not eligible for complimentary access:
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3
  • An AAdvantage Executive Platinum or BAEC Gold card holder who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated flight
  • A BAEC Gold or QFFF Platinum card holder who has arrived into T3 on a BA/QF operated Kangaroo service
  • A category of passenger not otherwise described in the list of eligible passengers above
  • Guests

There is no mechanism in place to pay for access into the Galleries Arrivals lounge



What is the current situation for passengers arriving into T5 on BA's DME service? Are CE and/or GCHs able to use the Galleries Arrivals lounge?

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 3, 11 at 1:58 pm Reason: Incorporate info kindly provided by Moomba in post 3
Prospero is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 5:55 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London, UK
Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,221
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
London Heathrow Terminal 3
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge


Eligible for complimentary access:
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on a BA/QF operated Kangaroo service
  • A oneworld Emerald who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service, irrespective of class of service
  • A BAEC Gold or QFFF Platinum card holder who has arrived into T3 on a BA/QF operated Kangaroo service, irrespective of class of service
Add CX J & F to the list eligible based on class of service.
Moomba is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 5:58 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Posts: 1,760
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post

What is the current situation for passengers arriving into T5 on BA's DME service? Are CE and/or GCHs able to use the Galleries Arrivals lounge?
I remember that on ba.com was saying that the CE passengers from the first DME-LHR flight of the day, (maybe Golds also) they had access to the arrivals lounge.

I checked right now but couldn't find it, did they change the rules?
potakas is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 9:29 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,677
Originally Posted by potakas View Post
I remember that on ba.com was saying that the CE passengers from the first DME-LHR flight of the day, (maybe Golds also) they had access to the arrivals lounge.
I believe it is just CE pax on the first DME-LHR flight of the day.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 1:54 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Posts: 13,026
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
London Heathrow Terminal 3
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge


Eligible for complimentary access:
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service
  • A first or business class passenger who has arrived into T3 on a BA/CX/QF operated service
  • A oneworld Emerald who has arrived into T3 on an AA operated service, irrespective of class of service
Don't they have to be coming off a long-haul service (if it's BA)? And if you read http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ungeAccess.jsp it says only AA F/J customers and OWEs travelling in on AA can use it.
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Fee based entry is an option (currently US$ 90 plus VAT)
That's harsh!

Last edited by stifle; Jul 3, 11 at 2:00 pm
stifle is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 2:28 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,677
Originally Posted by stifle View Post
Don't they have to be coming off a long-haul service (if it's BA)? And if you read http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ungeAccess.jsp it says only AA F/J customers and OWEs travelling in on AA can use it.
Yes, longhaul services only. AA contract the lounge out to BA, QF and CX customers.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 3:30 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leeds
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 178
Flying WTP & Lounge Access

Im almost sure this has been posted before but couldn't find an answer.

Flying WTP MAN-LHR-SFO-LHR-MAN

Now as far as i know we will get lounge access at MAN as WTP books into Business UK on the MAN-LHR flight but no lounge at LHR.

Question is does it work the other way round, i know we get no lounge access at SFO on the return but im sure it also books you into Business UK on the LHR-MAN flight when conneting from a WTP flight on the same PNR, Galleries access upon arriving into LHR ?
Speedbird279 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 3:51 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,462
Yes, you get lounge access on the MAN-LHR and LHR-MAN sectors as you are booked into the J fare bucket.
rossmacd is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 3:52 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,775
You can always put your PNR reference into "www.checkmytrip.com" if you're not sure. That should tell you if it's "Business UK" or not.
bealine is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 4:48 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,677
If your domestic sectors are booking into Business UK, then you will have lounge access at MAN (to the Terraces lounge) and LHR both outbound and inbound (to the Galleries Club lounges), but not at SFO or to Galleries Arrivals at LHR.

Remember to keep a hold of your Business UK boarding passes to gain access.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 5:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leeds
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 178
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
If your domestic sectors are booking into Business UK, then you will have lounge access at MAN (to the Terraces lounge) and LHR both outbound and inbound (to the Galleries Club lounges), but not at SFO or to Galleries Arrivals at LHR.

Remember to keep a hold of your Business UK boarding passes to gain access.
Has already said i knew we would get lounge access at MAN outbound but if true, Galleries Club access while waiting for our SFO flight from LHR would be a bonus.

Guessing we are granted access at LHR on our outbound as technically our flight down from MAN makes us inbound J passengers.
Speedbird279 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 5:08 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,677
Originally Posted by Speedbird279 View Post
Guessing we are granted access at LHR on our outbound as technically our flight down from MAN makes us inbound J passengers.
Yep - Business UK is treated as business class, and therefore you're considered as a business class connecting passenger.

You might find that the lounge dragon takes a moment or two to work it out - you should probably helpfully say that you are inbound in Business UK and show both inbound and outbound boarding passes to prompt him/her
Genius1 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 6:03 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,462
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
Yep - Business UK is treated as business class, and therefore you're considered as a business class connecting passenger.

You might find that the lounge dragon takes a moment or two to work it out - you should probably helpfully say that you are inbound in Business UK and show both inbound and outbound boarding passes to prompt him/her
I have tried this a few times, back in the day before my shiny card arrived, and was unsuccessful. Therefore, I would not get your hopes up on lounge access after the MAN-LHR segment.
rossmacd is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 7:39 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Posts: 2,204
Yes this seems to be a quirk of the booking system rather than any specific entitlement so it would be hard to argue the 'I arrived on an inbound business class flight' when there is no domestic business travel class. (Your World Traveller Plus class ticket booked you in the J fare class, but your travel class remains WT+)

Fingers crossed though you get lucky though as it would be a great start to the trip and it would be good for you to have somewhere to sit down and write your trip report and various posters have reported success. Have a great trip
A P Yu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: