Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Inline with recent posts. Mrs xcalx hit £1700~ and 42000 " friend recommendation bonus points" have posted
I so hope Amex have c"$£ed up ...again

Last edited by xcalx; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:50 am
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Quick strategy check.

I have some Amex cards but none earning MR, namely BAPP and about to cancel Lloyds Avios Duo (happy days!). I had a Gold Charge Card over 1 year ago. I plan to burn spend on another card as I am about to get a 241.

- I intend to get Amex Plat thru Quidco (or Gold) and cancel after 3-4 months, which means roughly paying 450-80 cashback-300ish pro rata=£70 for 50k Avios?

- In the meantime I am going to refer family to Amex Plat (for those who don't have BAPP) and let those that have BAPP apply themselves. Some had Amex Gold over a year ago too.

- At same time we will all apply for BMI free card for 20k bonus (but no quidco).

Am I missing anything key to Avios bonuses?!

Also regarding the Amex Plat perks (travel insurance, Cathay gold, hotel elite status), do these benefits immediately expire once you close your account early to get a pro-rata refund? It sounds like a silly question, but can imagine its easy for Amex to arrange for 1year membership easily, but harder to revoke something like Cathay gold mid-year!

Thanks all.

Last edited by kingtut; Oct 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: BA, Virgin Atlantic
Hi. First time poster and I am new to all this. Did have BA executive club Silver which has recently lapsed. If I get someone to refer me to Amex platinum, how long will it be before the 52k Avios hit my account and what logistical steps do I need to make so I can get myself back up to Silver?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed
Hi. First time poster and I am new to all this. Did have BA executive club Silver which has recently lapsed. If I get someone to refer me to Amex platinum, how long will it be before the 52k Avios hit my account and what logistical steps do I need to make so I can get myself back up to Silver?
The avios will not help you get back to silver.

It will take however long it takes you to spend £3k and then transfer. Sometimes Amex are not posting to 3 months, but that is rather rare.

Also, with Amex plat you get Cathay Gold. This is equivalent to BA silver so you then a year to get back up to BA silver. Cathay gold gives lounge access and seat selection which is one of the top benefits....

Happy to refer
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: Some, not all.
1000 Avios for £8 spend with MR PORTER.COM

Email promo received yesterday, £8 pair of socks seems to be the cheapest item

Whether you're on the hunt for the perfect jacket or looking for a slim-line card holder smart enough to hold your
American Express® Card, you may find what you’re looking for and more at
MR PORTER.COM, the online retail destination for men’s style.

And here's one more reason to shop: as an American Express Platinum Cardmember you can earn 1,000 Membership Rewards® points* at MR PORTER.COM on your first purchase between 15 October and 20 November 2012 while also enjoying complementary shipping. Simply enter the promotional code AMEXMRPUK at checkout to redeem.
Terms and Conditions
* When a Membership Rewards enrolled American Express Cardmember, who receives an invite for this offer directly from American Express, spends online with MRPORTER.COM between 15 October and 20 November 2012 using their American Express Platinum Card, they will earn 1,000 Membership Rewards points on the first transaction when charged to their account. Enter the promotional code AMEXMRPUK at checkout to redeem your complimentary shipping order. This promotion is open to residents of the United Kingdom who are existing American Express Cardmembers and whose Card is issued in the United Kingdom. This promotion is not open to American Express Corporate Cards. Cardmembers must be enrolled in the relevant Membership Rewards points programme associated with their Card in the United Kingdom to qualify. Membership Rewards points are not earned on Cash Withdrawals, American Express Travellers Cheques, Foreign Exchange and other Account Charges including associated Rewards programme fees and annual Card fee. Membership Rewards points will be credited to eligible Cardmember accounts within eight weeks from when the transaction is charged to the Card. For specific enquiries regarding this promotion please contact your Card issuer on the contact number provided on your Card.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Don't forget BA estore as well for Mr Porter! I ordered my socks last night and they are on the way.

Note - even though it is 1 pair of socks, they ship DHL and will need a signature.

Note that this promo seems targetted - Gold's get 750 points, and there is a double points version as well.

Those £8 invisible socks are really good, by the way, if you wear Tod's / Gucci etc loafers. You can't see them when worn and they soak up your sweat, rather than the shoe!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
The avios will not help you get back to silver.

It will take however long it takes you to spend £3k and then transfer. Sometimes Amex are not posting to 3 months, but that is rather rare.

Also, with Amex plat you get Cathay Gold. This is equivalent to BA silver so you then a year to get back up to BA silver. Cathay gold gives lounge access and seat selection which is one of the top benefits....

Happy to refer
Spend is £2k, not £3k, at the moment.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Email promo received yesterday, £8 pair of socks seems to be the cheapest item
Annoyingly, my email only offers me double miles on any purchases.

Think I'll probably pass on the socks........
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
And my offer was different still

Dear Mr darthlemsip

As the Christmas shopping season swings into top gear, you'll be glad to know that Platinum Card from American Express® is here to make giving even more rewarding.

This November, we're offering you the chance to earn bonus Membership Rewards® points.

Spend £500 on your Platinum Card between 1 November and 30 November 2012, and we'll reward you 1,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points¹.

Enrol now
Christmas gifts or a little self-indulgence. Enrol before
midnight 24 October 2012 using your unique code below and watch your points soar every time you reach for your Platinum Card.

When a Membership Rewards enrolled Platinum American Express Cardmember who receives this offer directly from American Express and enrols in the offer before midnight 24 October 2012, and spends and charges £500 in qualifying purchases between 1 November and 30 November 2012, they will earn 1,000 Membership Rewards bonus points. These points will be awarded within 4 weeks of Cardmember reaching the threshold.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
And my offer was different still
I (Amex Gold) got the 750MR offer for net-a-porter rather than Mrporter, and they sadly don't have £8 socks

However, I also got the Christmas shopping November offer, but was offered 2000 bonus points for a £1000 spend, on top of the Preferred Rewards year one bonuses (this is my second year of them, I seem to be an anomaly in the system )

This November, we're offering you the chance to earn bonus Membership Rewards® points¹ that you can put towards gifts for friends and family or simply reward yourself for braving the Christmas crowds. It's up to you.With double points already available on your seasonal groceries, commuting and petrol costs, your Preferred Rewards Gold Card will help your Christmas go with a bang.
When a Membership Rewards enrolled Gold American Express Cardmember who receives this offer directly from American Express and enrols in the offer before midnight 24 October 2012, and spends and charges £1,000 in qualifying purchases between 1 November and 30 November 2012, they will earn 2,000 Membership Rewards bonus points. These points will be awarded within 4 weeks of Cardmember reaching the threshold.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1. Correct

2. Technically correct, although you might want to take the risk of referring a BAPP holder. As I posted yesterday, I referred someone who had a BAPP and I got the referral points. You would know very quickly if it worked as the referral points hit as soon as the card is approved, no spend required.

3. Yes, agreed, and sooner rather than later

Originally Posted by kingtut
Quick strategy check.

I have some Amex cards but none earning MR, namely BAPP and about to cancel Lloyds Avios Duo (happy days!). I had a Gold Charge Card over 1 year ago. I plan to burn spend on another card as I am about to get a 241.

- I intend to get Amex Plat thru Quidco (or Gold) and cancel after 3-4 months, which means roughly paying 450-80 cashback-300ish pro rata=£70 for 50k Avios?

- In the meantime I am going to refer family to Amex Plat (for those who don't have BAPP) and let those that have BAPP apply themselves. Some had Amex Gold over a year ago too.

- At same time we will all apply for BMI free card for 20k bonus (but no quidco).

Am I missing anything key to Avios bonuses?!

Also regarding the Amex Plat perks (travel insurance, Cathay gold, hotel elite status), do these benefits immediately expire once you close your account early to get a pro-rata refund? It sounds like a silly question, but can imagine its easy for Amex to arrange for 1year membership easily, but harder to revoke something like Cathay gold mid-year!

Thanks all.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
is there a form online i need to fill in somewhere to get all these offers? I have Plat and NEVER get an email other than reminding me to pay the balance!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:36 am

Go to www.americanexpress.co.uk/platinum. Log in and click on Benefits Directory and scoll down to the Partner Programmes in the travel section. You fill in all your details on the one page. If you do not have an existing account with Accor, CX, etc, it will create you one.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
thanks
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I don't get any email special offiers either - and i've set me communication preferences to receive them. I do however get them for my BAPP - I wonder if that takes prescedence as i've had it longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.