Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
I got the plat card last week and I'm about £1600 into my £2k spend, but I've just noticed a 42,000 MR bonus has been applied to my account. I'll raise a query if when I hit £2k I'm not given the full 52,000 MR, but is it possible I'm going to get both...?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Percy Pig
I got the plat card last week and I'm about £1600 into my £2k spend, but I've just noticed a 42,000 MR bonus has been applied to my account. I'll raise a query if when I hit £2k I'm not given the full 52,000 MR, but is it possible I'm going to get both...?
Keep quiet if you do!!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
With amex, anything is possible!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
My wife got both a 42,000 bonus and a 40,000 bonus MR at the same time. Can't remember exactly what the bonus was meant to be at the time but it was certainly not 82,000!

We opted to transfer them out to Avios even at 1:1 quietly...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
With amex, anything is possible!
Indeed, I got a extra "bonus" when I took out an SPG Amex a while ago.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:24 am

Same thing here. Signed up via referral. Got the first 42k around the £1600 mark in the first month. Have called three times to find out about the difference. Got told three different stories

a) yes the 52k is correct. We will post it shortly and have another 5k for having to call up. It just requires management approval. Their systems were down and couldn't give a reference number
b) a few days later, some snarky woman told me off for calling so soon. It apparently takes 5 working days for management approval. She didn't bother looking at my account.
c) called today and got told it could take up to 3 months for the last 10k to post.

As long as I get the remaining points I am happy Anything else is a bonus

Originally Posted by magyaar
My wife got both a 42,000 bonus and a 40,000 bonus MR at the same time. Can't remember exactly what the bonus was meant to be at the time but it was certainly not 82,000!

We opted to transfer them out to Avios even at 1:1 quietly...
That is funny.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:45 am

Hmmm, interesting Willie - my plan was to cancel the card as soon as I got the bonus to save on the fees, but if they are making you keep it open for another 3 months just to get a further 10,000 points that's over £100 and probably not worth it...

Sneaky...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:49 am

I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle but that is just a guess. I had another look at the referral email. It said it could take up to a month for the points to post.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:55 am

Hmmm, interesting Willie - my plan was to cancel the card as soon as I got the bonus to save on the fees, but if they are making you keep it open for another 3 months just to get a further 10,000 points that's over £100 and probably not worth it...

Sneaky...
I would wait and see what happens when you hit the required £2000 spend. No point in calling until you meet the requirements, when you hit £2000 the 10'000 (or bigger bonus!) should post, if not call then.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by oxfordjames
I would wait and see what happens when you hit the required £2000 spend. No point in calling until you meet the requirements, when you hit £2000 the 10'000 (or bigger bonus!) should post, if not call then.
Fair play. I have spent over £4k on the card in under two months hence the calls I am sure it will get posted eventually
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by oxfordjames
Good advice

*goes out and spends £400 on stuff I don't need at lunchtime*
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:09 pm

Ba Cards

Does anyone have any factual stories in regards to getting the Amex Plat after having a BA card and receiving/not receiving the points?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by shayele
Does anyone have any factual stories in regards to getting the Amex Plat after having a BA card and receiving/not receiving the points?
I referred someone for Plat who (unknown to me at the time) had a BA Amex and they got their bonus, as did I. This is technically against the T&C's as they are currently written.

For safety, I would apply direct and take a screenshot of the Amex home page which simply says 'any Amex charge cards' is the only block.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:14 am

Just an FYI.

i've had the Amex nectar card for several years now.

i've applied and got the platinum card, and have it in writing from Amex that i'm entitled to the 50k points.

so i was intending on making the £2k spend quickly then cancelling the card to avoid the additional monthly fee. Amex told me that the points will be awarded in the 4th month, regardless of when/how quickly the £2k is spent. So i can't cancel before that.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Originally Posted by rtidrtid
Just an FYI.

i've had the Amex nectar card for several years now.

i've applied and got the platinum card, and have it in writing from Amex that i'm entitled to the 50k points.

so i was intending on making the £2k spend quickly then cancelling the card to avoid the additional monthly fee. Amex told me that the points will be awarded in the 4th month, regardless of when/how quickly the £2k is spent. So i can't cancel before that.
I don't want to contradict what Amex have said, but my points automatically awarded when I hit the trigger payment. I did do it almost exactly on the statement date which may have helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.