Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

What do you need to know?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tangey
No one knows for sure. All those who took it out early on during its soft introduction last july/aug/sept got it renewed. But whether that was an indication that it'll renew again, or rather just rolling those early adoptors inline with the full program, who knows.
I applied in October 2011 and received the CX Gold Card in November 2011 with an expiry date of 30 November 2012. My account didn't automatically renew so about 10 days or so ago I reapplied via the AMEX Plat site quoting my existing CX number. My status was renewed on CX's website within a couple of days and the new card arrived yesterday! Incidentally I was able to reserve seats and got access to the Lounge at LGW before the new card arrived.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
I was looking to apply the AmEx before I book my WTP ticket to HKG in July which will cost about £1600... anyway, I am about to read this thread, but being over 200 pages long, which page should I start reading since this thread is 2 years old, I guess that half the stuff would be irrelevant anyway ?
The first post is still up to date.

What are you specifically interested in / concerned about? The Cathay card is a Plat benefit still, which will get you free seat selection on your WTP flight.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club
Can anyone tell me if what I have been told by Amex is correct?

I applied for a Platinum card and received it in late October. By the 7th November I'd spent the £2k which needed to be spent within three months in order to get the 50,000 sign-up bonus. My statement date is 18th of the month so I expected the bonus to appear in my account in month one (i.e November) or in month 2, December. Nothing appeared in the December statement and there wasn't anything appearing in my on-line account. So I rang them a week or so ago and at that time they confirmed the expenditure date and said they'd chase the bonus.

Nothing had appeared by this morning so I sent them an email and they replied:

....However, system will automatically credit these rewards points to your account after by your 5th statement. Your 5th statement is scheduled to generate on 19th March. .... (cut and pasted from their response)

This is new to me and certainly seems to be at odds with the T&C's shown in their current promotion.

Anyone else had issues such as these? I have written to them again asking for an explanation and am awaiting a response.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Englishlee0710
Can anyone tell me if what I have been told by Amex is correct?

I applied for a Platinum card and received it in late October. By the 7th November I'd spent the £2k which needed to be spent within three months in order to get the 50,000 sign-up bonus. My statement date is 18th of the month so I expected the bonus to appear in my account in month one (i.e November) or in month 2, December. Nothing appeared in the December statement and there wasn't anything appearing in my on-line account. So I rang them a week or so ago and at that time they confirmed the expenditure date and said they'd chase the bonus.

Nothing had appeared by this morning so I sent them an email and they replied:

....However, system will automatically credit these rewards points to your account after by your 5th statement. Your 5th statement is scheduled to generate on 19th March. .... (cut and pasted from their response)

This is new to me and certainly seems to be at odds with the T&C's shown in their current promotion.

Anyone else had issues such as these? I have written to them again asking for an explanation and am awaiting a response.
I had similar experiences. Some people at FT have written that their bonuses have been immediate, but not in my case usually.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I wonder if they hold back the bonus when you meet the spend requirement as soon as you did. Otherwise you could just cancel the card and get the full fee back I presume. My bonus posted alongside the spend that took me over the minimum spend to qualify.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:47 am

Thank you both, I'll come back and give their (Amex's) answer in case anyone else has similar issues in the future.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:45 am

Mine posted as soon as I hit minimum spend, as did my parents on there's, and my wife's on her gold card - yet have read about your experience on here a lot. All very inconsistent from Amex
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Try and resolve it via the contact area online. Ask amex to send you the relevant extract from their terms and conditions which states this.

Then if they can't ask them to credit the points immediately.

If they refuse, send another email and make an official complaint.

I had to do this for both my wife and my BAPP bonuses and on both occasions we got the points eventually and some extra for our inconvenience.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Geoggy
Try and resolve it via the contact area online. Ask amex to send you the relevant extract from their terms and conditions which states this.

Then if they can't ask them to credit the points immediately.

If they refuse, send another email and make an official complaint.

I had to do this for both my wife and my BAPP bonuses and on both occasions we got the points eventually and some extra for our inconvenience.
It ought to be straightforward as " the very important information" states:
The 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points will be awarded onto your account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged £2,000 within the first three months of Cardmembership. All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available to existing American Express customers. Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus points to be awarded to your account.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whiskerxx
The 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points will be awarded onto your account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged £2,000 within the first three months of Cardmembership. All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available to existing American Express customers. Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus points to be awarded to your account.
But unfortunately that text is nonsense, since the Plat deal is NOT restricted to existing Amex customers, only existing charge card customers. And I have done 2 referrals to prove it!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
But unfortunately that text is nonsense, since the Plat deal is NOT restricted to existing Amex customers, only existing charge card customers. And I have done 2 referrals to prove it!
I have no doubt its nonsense!
But it ought to be straightforward!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by whiskerxx
That's exactly what I quoted them (well the first part anyway) in my note to them. Just had a reply back that they'll 'try to expedite' the credit and would get back to me within 10 days. Not totally satisfactory as it seems open and closed to me, but I'm about to head off to Iceland for the weekend so will worry about it on my return. Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Englishlee0710
That's exactly what I quoted them (well the first part anyway) in my note to them. Just had a reply back that they'll 'try to expedite' the credit and would get back to me within 10 days. Not totally satisfactory as it seems open and closed to me, but I'm about to head off to Iceland for the weekend so will worry about it on my return. Thanks everyone.
If you're lucky, you will get the expedited credit and then a second one in a few weeks
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
Can someone clarify this for me, hoping I've got it right, its been six months since i settled my platinum card. So its OK for me to now apply for the Gold card?
My hubby settled his Gold card 4 months ago so in two months i can refer him to the platinum and we will be eligible for the reward points again?

Last edited by vanilla8; Dec 31, 2012 at 2:00 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.