Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by magyaar
My wife got both a 42,000 bonus and a 40,000 bonus MR at the same time. Can't remember exactly what the bonus was meant to be at the time but it was certainly not 82,000!

We opted to transfer them out to Avios even at 1:1 quietly...
done and done!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Whilst checking to see if the 52000 signup bonus had been posted to mrs xcalx's account, this is what shows.

CM will receive additional 2k MR after £2k spend in First 3m.. and 2000 points are showing

She did receive 42000 a few weeks ago .Friend recommendation.

Amex Here we go yet again
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:25 am

quidco

Does anyone have any experience with quidco? How long is takes? If I cancel before I get the quidco will I still get the dosh?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by shayele
Does anyone have any experience with quidco? How long is takes? If I cancel before I get the quidco will I still get the dosh?
Topcashback shows useful stats for cashback. Amex shows:

Which goes along with their 30-60 days timeline, but that's over all their cards, not specific to the Platinum one.

However, there's a high amount of manual claims, and if the account was cancelled, I'd imagine Amex might refuse to pay out. If it's tracked, you should get it, but hard to complain about it if you close the account and you need to raise a claim and it gets refused.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:36 am

quidco

Mine has tracked. Iv had it almost two months now and still no sign of the actual money.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Took 5 months, I think, to get my SPG Amex cash. i'd cancelled the card before I got paid!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:43 pm

Does anyone know if the offer for a 100k points is only for US Platinum card customers?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
It sounds like the sort of ludicrously massive card sign-up bonus that would only be offered in the USA, yes! (I'm not jealous, honest!)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by buran99
Does anyone know if the offer for a 100k points is only for US Platinum card customers?
Yes. However, if your wife gets the free Amex Gold and then refers you for Amex Plat, you would receive 77,000 Avios between you.

(25k to her for referring you, and 52k for you for being referred.)

Which isn't bad.

Especially as, if you're really quick, you can spend the £2k within a month, cash out your bonus, cancel Plat and get your entire £450 back (as a reader of the blog just did.)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
Especially as, if you're really quick, you can spend the £2k within a month, cash out your bonus, cancel Plat and get your entire £450 back (as a reader of the blog just did.)
*waves*

Love the blog Raffles
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Reading the latest additions to this thread has just reminded me that I've been meaning to post here/email Raffles re an Amex flyer that came in the post and had been sitting on my doormat.
When I opened it up, it was an offer for 3000 MR points and £100 off if I booked a Trailfinders holiday for 2 for at least 7 nights using an Amex card and quoting Amex. It appears to be open to anyone.

I haven't had a chance to scan the leaflet in, but the T's & C's - although it doesn't mention the points bonus - are here http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/save...h-amex-1341781

Offer ends 3rd November, so probably not much use to most, but if you were considering something could be good given you can now upgrade TA bookings.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:13 am

It seems topcashback.co.uk is now offering £121.20 (I don't know how they come up with these numbers) cashback on the platinum card. I'd be taking them up on it if it wasn't for my BAPP. Must cancel it and remember to keep an eye on deals in 6 months. It says the offer ends in 4 days.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:48 am

Hi All

Just thought i'd share my experience with Amex Platinum.

I got my plat card around 2nd October through £100 cashback with Quidco.

I hit my 2K within my frst month, so my first statement i got my 50k points. I transferred them out, couple of days later called Amex and cancelled my Amex Plat.

I got the full £450 refund of the card fee, and today i got my £100 Quidco cashback.

happy days.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin
wow! A template for us all....
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:13 am
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Originally Posted by williemaykit
Same thing here. Signed up via referral. Got the first 42k around the £1600 mark in the first month. Have called three times to find out about the difference. Got told three different stories

a) yes the 52k is correct. We will post it shortly and have another 5k for having to call up. It just requires management approval. Their systems were down and couldn't give a reference number
b) a few days later, some snarky woman told me off for calling so soon. It apparently takes 5 working days for management approval. She didn't bother looking at my account.
c) called today and got told it could take up to 3 months for the last 10k to post.

As long as I get the remaining points I am happy Anything else is a bonus
I've just had the same thing - about £1,350 spend to date, 42k "friend referral bonus" (or something like). Does anyone have any updated experience of this, e.g. having to then argue for the 52k, or getting the balance of 10k when spend hits £2k... or something else (better)?

A separate piece-of-string question of the type much loved on FT - is there any pattern to when Amex offers bonus rates for transferring MR to Avios?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.