Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:09 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
When you cancel a redemption ticket using a 2-4-1 voucher, does anyone know if the voucher returns to your account as immediately as the Avios do? Or does it take longer?
I've had to do this three or four times and have experienced everything from a virtually instant refund of all three components (Avios, money, voucher) to having to wait several weeks and make multiple phone calls to recover one or more. Similar to any other cancellation, in other words.

So you might be able to do what you want online in 15 minutes, but it if were me I'd choose a time when I knew I could follow up on the phone right away if necessary.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IMH
. . . Similar to any other cancellation, in other words. . .
What I feared -- and yet expected.

Thank you for your insight.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:08 pm

After hitting the $30k spend, does the Chase statement indicate you received the voucher? Mine didn't so just made me wonder if I intact hit it.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by terpfan101
After hitting the $30k spend, does the Chase statement indicate you received the voucher? Mine didn't so just made me wonder if I intact hit it.
If and when you hit the $30K, the voucher will automatically show up in your BA.com account when you log in.
Just scroll down the page to My eVouchers.

Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:49 pm

Does anybody know definitively if you can cancel your Chase BA Visa and still retain use of your earned 241 ticket? I have the ticket in my BA account now and don't ever use the card anymore so I'd like to cancel it before the annual fee comes up... but not if it will cost me my 241!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
new award booking

Originally Posted by LakeCentralFlyer
Does anybody know definitively if you can cancel your Chase BA Visa and still retain use of your earned 241 ticket? I have the ticket in my BA account now and don't ever use the card anymore so I'd like to cancel it before the annual fee comes up... but not if it will cost me my 241!
well, if I remember correctly in order to use the 241, one has to put the charges and taxes on the BA CREDIT card, so I think one has to still have the card, but that doesn't mean the 241 immediately expires, but if the above is true it would be valid for use anymore.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by LakeCentralFlyer
This has been asked many times. The answer is that you can cancel the card and still keep the 2-4-1. I also am unaware of any rule that you have to use the Chase card for the taxes - I didn't.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
RE: using the card for taxes - I did and got 2.5 Avios per $ since it was a British Airways 'purchase'!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
This has been asked many times. The answer is that you can cancel the card and still keep the 2-4-1. I also am unaware of any rule that you have to use the Chase card for the taxes - I didn't.
Okay thanks for the info. I've read over the terms a few times and don't really see anything to the contrary either other than the previously mentioned bit about not violating any Chase or BA rules... but I guess that refers more towards the earning of the voucher.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:40 am
IMH

Originally Posted by Skyline
I [...] got 2.5 Avios per $ since it was a British Airways 'purchase'!
BA transactions are the very best way of getting to $30,000 for the 2-4-1, but beyond that (or if you're never going to hit it) it's worth remembering that with an AmEx Gold card airline spend earns 3 MR points per dollar, worth 3 Avios and on occasion more.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
I've search the entire year for F availability LAX-LON and found only a single available date to use the 2-4-1. Is that unusual? No luck with SFO or ORD.

Any tricks to finding a way to make the magic of these things work?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by surfguy7

Any tricks to finding a way to make the magic of these things work?
Availability is poor, especially to/from popular destinations like SFO. Keep looking. Search for one-way availability to establish what is available and search other acceptable airports, like SEA, LAX, LAS, PHX. Remember you can also switch airports if availability pops up closer to your travel dates, and it often does.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
only avios

Originally Posted by IMH
BA transactions are the very best way of getting to $30,000 for the 2-4-1, but beyond that (or if you're never going to hit it) it's worth remembering that with an AmEx Gold card airline spend earns 3 MR points per dollar, worth 3 Avios and on occasion more.
so, the BA transactions should get one more AVIOS, but I don't think there is any multiplier for the 30K$ spend. 1000$ at BA is still just 1000$ towards the 30K, right?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:57 am
IMH

Originally Posted by nmenaker
1000$ at BA is still just 1000$ towards the 30K, right?
Right. There are no multipliers for spend towards the $30,000 threshold.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Availability is poor, especially to/from popular destinations like SFO. Keep looking. Search for one-way availability to establish what is available and search other acceptable airports, like SEA, LAX, LAS, PHX. Remember you can also switch airports if availability pops up closer to your travel dates, and it often does.
I tried those other airports, thanks. Nothing for my dates in April, though I found some out of SEA in December.

Is flying F out of LAX hopeless on the 2-4-1? A whole year and only one date available is discouraging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.