Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by surfguy7
I tried those other airports, thanks. Nothing for my dates in April, though I found some out of SEA in December.

Is flying F out of LAX hopeless on the 2-4-1? A whole year and only one date available is discouraging.
Looking at 4 or five months out, as you are doing, is usually a problem. If you start looking when availability can first appear (355 days) and continue to watch you can often find something that will work. Availability this year has seemed to come available in large chunks at a time. Late availability can also sometimes open up if you can be flexible and react quickly in the week or so before your planned travel.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
I was looking out even 11 months and seeing no availability from LAX-LON. I think I found one day the entire 355 days.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking out even 11 months and seeing no availability from LAX-LON. I think I found one day the entire 355 days.
Then see this post from earlier today in another thread listing October 2014 availability LAX-LHR:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21965271-post4.html

What were you using to search? If you were using the Avios explorer map on ba.com, it is not reliable.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
I was using the BA booking tool and then looking through the availability calendar.

I see that thread has 4 or 5 dates in October that didn't come up on the BA availability calendar. Is it the calendar doesn't display correctly or perhaps the award thread was just turning up one seat of availability and the 2-4-1 requires two award seats to be open?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've found the AA booking tool to be much easier to use when searching for BA availability.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
I've search the entire year for F availability LAX-LON and found only a single available date to use the 2-4-1. Is that unusual? No luck with SFO or ORD.

Any tricks to finding a way to make the magic of these things work?
Best bet is to book via a less busy origination like SAN, LAS, PHX, SEA, or YVR. Alternatively, I have often found "last minute" availability within 7 days of departure.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
I did my best to search for this answer, but perhaps my search string was wrong because I could not find it.

According to the T&C's, the primary member MUST be one of the travelers on the Chase 2-4-1 voucher. I am attempting to use the voucher for my parents, and the phone rep at BAEC said I did not have to be one of the travelers. In other words, she said I could redeem it for any 2 people I wanted.

Anyone have anecdotal experience on this scenario?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trojanman
I did my best to search for this answer, but perhaps my search string was wrong because I could not find it.

According to the T&C's, the primary member MUST be one of the travelers on the Chase 2-4-1 voucher. I am attempting to use the voucher for my parents, and the phone rep at BAEC said I did not have to be one of the travelers. In other words, she said I could redeem it for any 2 people I wanted.

Anyone have anecdotal experience on this scenario?
A few people have reported that they had been able to do this on occasion.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...xperience.html
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
A few people have reported that they had been able to do this on occasion.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...xperience.html
Excellent, thanks!
Old May 7, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
If and when you hit the $30K, the voucher will automatically show up in your BA.com account when you log in.
Just scroll down the page to My eVouchers.

What is the quickest time people have seen the voucher post on ba.com?
Old May 7, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nologic
What is the quickest time people have seen the voucher post on ba.com?
Usual a week or two past the CC statement I hit $30k on. I had my last statement Apr 21 and it was posted May 7.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Thanks, what do ppl think of the value of using a 241 for the following in F:

BOS-LHR-SYD-BOS
BOS-LHR-NRT (or HKG)-BOS
BOS-CDG-BOS
BOS-LHR-YVR

Hmm, I see BOS-NRT-BOS in F is normally 300,000 round trip on BA for one person, or using a OneWorld partner award would be 210,000 Avios trip each, or 420,000 Avios. So, the companion "costs" 90,000 more Avios than a single pax.

But, BOS-CDG-BOS is basically 2:1 any way you slice it.

BOS-LHR-YVR is a potential good deal, because LHR-YVR is only 75,000 Avios, but then I have to spend 100,000 miles to get home one-way (or 135,000 on CX in F) from YVR, but for that, you get two trips.

Last edited by nologic; May 7, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Old May 28, 2014, 8:26 am

Is this capped at one companion ticket at $30K per calendar year? If so, why? Don't they want to provide incentives for greater spending?
Old May 28, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Is this capped at one companion ticket at $30K per calendar year? If so, why? Don't they want to provide incentives for greater spending?
Yes, one companion voucher a year. It would appear that they don't want to offer incentives for higher spending, other than earning avios.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:11 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
why? Don't they want to provide incentives for greater spending?
Several other cards feature a bonus for hitting specified spend levels (e.g. extra points, hotel status, qualifying miles). In every case I'm aware of they limit that bonus to once a year. This could be the banks limiting their potential costs or it could be based on their experience/assessment of how incentivisation works.

The Chase BA 2-4-1 is worth between 80,000 and 168,000 Avios on a typical US-Europe return in J or F, substantially more if used for a longer trip. A couple with two cards can earn this twice a year. That's already quite a lot of additional pressure on redemption inventory (and one of the reasons a lot of people are upset because they find it difficult to get the flights they want).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.