Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
On using 2 Travel Together "companion" passes on BA. Does that mean the Member can use BA Avios Miles and 1 companion free AND the member can also use his Avios Miles for a third person and then a 2nd Travel Together pass for the 4th person. In short, use miles for 2 and companion pass for 2 others --- and pay basically 4 times the cost of fuel surcharges and taxes?

Or does the second pair of people need to have one Paid for ticket to use the 2nd Companion pass.?
Yes (Q1) and No (Q2). I have done this even using a family account (where miles across family members can be combined). I don't recall if both companion certificates came out of one account or out of two separate accounts in the family, but the net of this is that four passengers can travel round trip for 2x miles and 4x taxes and fees. The taxes and fees are of course outrageous to the extent that you don't want to use the miles or certificates for anything other than business or first class. And yes, you can mix biz/first... e.g. outbound in biz class, return in first.

DAK
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Changes would appear to be allowed after first leg

Originally Posted by KurtBJC
I tried this once, but was told by BA that none of the segments could be changed once any of them had been flown. This seems to be confirmed by T&C 14.1:

"All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and may not be made after the time 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary."
Could you clarify this, please. In the current T & C for the newly named Travel Together ticket there is no 14.1, and no mention of the permitted changes you quote.

Was this taken from some out of date rules? Please, can someone confirm that you are able to make date changes after the first leg has been flown?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Full Score
Could you clarify this, please. In the current T & C for the newly named Travel Together ticket there is no 14.1, and no mention of the permitted changes you quote.

Was this taken from some out of date rules? Please, can someone confirm that you are able to make date changes after the first leg has been flown?
Read Post #533 above in this thread.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Post #533 is really just hearsay. Looking at the rules, section 14.1 still says that any changes must be made at least 24 hours before the first segment.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Post #533 is really just hearsay. Looking at the rules, section 14.1 still says that any changes must be made at least 24 hours before the first segment.
As noted there is no sec. 14.1 of the chase companion voucher ticket terms and conditions. Section 14.1 is part of the general baec terms and conditions. It is has been confirmed by multiple BA employees including Nicci (BA Executive Club) that changes to the inbound portion of an award ticket may be made up to 24 hours before that flight. I and many others have done it and as I said there are multiple threads on this. There are several portions of the general baec terms and conditions that are not up to date including provisions relating to open-jaw awards.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
There are several portions of the general baec terms and conditions that are not up to date including provisions relating to open-jaw awards.
Yes, I have yet to understand the open jaw rules when using the Chase Companion Voucher. I tried to book a SFO-LHR-PRG/open-jaw/LHR-SFO and the agent said I couldn't do that because PRG and LHR are in separate "bands". What are the rules? The agent seemed to know them (I guess) but I can't find them in print.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Yes, I have yet to understand the open jaw rules when using the Chase Companion Voucher. I tried to book a SFO-LHR-PRG/open-jaw/LHR-SFO and the agent said I couldn't do that because PRG and LHR are in separate "bands". What are the rules? The agent seemed to know them (I guess) but I can't find them in print.
The bands used to apply before the changeover to Avios. Nicci stated when avios was created that open-jaws with the vouchers are permitted and normal rules apply. Basically, the open-jaw cannot be bigger than the two flight legs.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18954746-post6.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nion-pass.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ent-zones.html
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The bands used to apply before the changeover to Avios. Nicci stated when avios was created that open-jaws with the vouchers are permitted and normal rules apply. Basically, the open-jaw cannot be bigger than the two flight legs.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18954746-post6.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nion-pass.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ent-zones.html
Thanks very much for the links. As far as I can see the BA agent was wrong in saying that I can't use the 2-4-1 voucher for SFO-LHR-PRG/LHR-SFO. But I started off with her wanting to do SFO-LHR-PRG/open-jaw/TLS-LHR(stopover)-SFO. She said that wasn't permissible either. I guess I don't understand what counts as a "sector". Is SFO-LHR-PRG one long sector or are SFO-LHR and LHR-PRG separate sectors? When traveling TLS-SFO with a stopover in LHR, is TLS-LHR a separate sector and thus shorter than the open-jaw between PRG-TLS? Thanks for any help you can give me. Obviously even the BA agents are confused by the rules.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Thanks very much for the links. As far as I can see the BA agent was wrong in saying that I can't use the 2-4-1 voucher for SFO-LHR-PRG/LHR-SFO. But I started off with her wanting to do SFO-LHR-PRG/open-jaw/TLS-LHR(stopover)-SFO. She said that wasn't permissible either. I guess I don't understand what counts as a "sector". Is SFO-LHR-PRG one long sector or are SFO-LHR and LHR-PRG separate sectors? When traveling TLS-SFO with a stopover in LHR, is TLS-LHR a separate sector and thus shorter than the open-jaw between PRG-TLS? Thanks for any help you can give me. Obviously even the BA agents are confused by the rules.
As with Avios you now pay per sector, SFO-LHR is one, LHR-PRG is one, TLS-LHR is one, LHR-SFO is one.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:19 am

OK. So I don't get into an argument when I call back, an allowable routing would be SFO-LHR-PRG/open-jaw/LHR-SFO since the open jaw is exactly the same number of miles as LHR-PRG - correct? And the open-jaw PRG-TLS is not allowed because the mileage PRG-TLS is greater than that of TLS-LHR? The agent used the term "bands" but I do see there are "zones" based on mileage. Is it conceivable she was trying to tell me that I can't have an open-jaw that involved two different zones (e.g. SFO-LHR-PRG is 84,000 Avios whereas LHR-SFO is 75,000 Avios)? That really wouldn't make any sense as Avios points required are based on point to point miles.

I already booked the SFO-LHR-SFO in F using 150,000 points as I didn't want to lose that space. Am I going to have difficulty when I call back to add the LHR-PRG segment since that's going to be using more points and has to be part of the original booking in order to use the Chase Companion Voucher. I hope they aren't going to require me to redeposit the 150,000 points and start all over again as I stand a chance of losing my F space SFO-LHR-SFO if they do that.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by majortom421
I noticed recently, however, that ba.com no longer allows me to select the one-way option when using Chase 241. You might still be able to do it by calling though - I am not sure.
The website changed to disable one-way on the front page, but it's still possible to get one-way to work online through a workaround -- I've made such a booking online since the website change.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:11 pm

What is this workaround? I couldn't get 3 people at the BA call center to book a one way companion ticket.

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: Southwest A+ & CP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Choice Gold, UA, US Air, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Basically, if you want to delay issuance of your certificate to the latest possible date, you will want to hit your $30k spend in late December. If you hit your $30k spend on Dec. 7, it is entirely possible that your certificate could be issued a few days later, without regard to your statement closing date.
This implies that the cut off for eligible spend is Dec 31. I would therefore assume that eligible spend really is calculated Jan 1-Dec 31, is that correct? ie My statement closed on Jan 5 2013, so any Dec 6-Dec 31 2012 spend will not count towards my 2013 companion ticket eligible spend.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by pavemental
This implies that the cut off for eligible spend is Dec 31. I would therefore assume that eligible spend really is calculated Jan 1-Dec 31, is that correct? ie My statement closed on Jan 5 2013, so any Dec 6-Dec 31 2012 spend will not count towards my 2013 companion ticket eligible spend.
Correct.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
How fast does the 2-4-1 voucher get returned to your account?

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The voucher, fees, and avios all get refunded (minus the change fee) if the cancellation is more than 24 hours prior to departure.
When you cancel a redemption ticket using a 2-4-1 voucher, does anyone know if the voucher returns to your account as immediately as the Avios do? Or does it take longer?

I'm holding a reservation, but am wondering if something I'm watching for, involving a different routing, comes available and I cancel my current ticket if I'd be able to immediately grab the new one. Or if it might take a few days for the voucher to reappear, which would obviously put me a risk of someone else grabbing the newly available seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.