Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Also, once you've achieved the required spend you should receive a congratulatory email from the BAEC informing you you've earned a Travel Together Ticket. I just checked back and I can see I typically receive the email about 10 days before the voucher posts to my account. Have you received this email?
Thank you golfmad for the info! I have not received the email yet. I'll give it a few more weeks, since it's only been 4 weeks out since I met the minimum spend.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nmenaker
there are plenty of threads here about how much the TAXES and FUEL surcharges are for a BA AVIOS mileage ticket. For your trip, its a combination of TAXES, FUEL SURCHARGES and the 250$ UK stopover fee.. I really hate that one. It's seems pretty counter intuitive since one would think the UK would WANT people to stop over. Two people traveling together pay 500$ in fees just to stop over and pay MORE money in the UK. . silly.

That said. If one can earn the miles easily through a card spend (like a lot of business or personal spend) or get another card on a household account with a 50k-100k bonus, or do the 1.5 x bonuses for AMEX membership points, getting the miles is nearly cost free (even opportunity cost free).. so one is really just paying say 1000$ a ticket to get a first class ticket that would normally cost about 10,000$-15,000$ each way sometimes.

In the past five years we've done four trips, to India, South Africa, London and we'll do another back to Africa next February. Total fees and taxes (with stopovers) are about 3000$ (two to India), 4200$ (two to africa), 1800$ (two to London) and 4000$ (two to africa) all first class, great service, great experiences and it would have cost at least 2-3 times that to buy Business.

Yes, it's hard to find dates and times that work, but there are ways to work it, track it, book and change it, etc.

But, we'd never have been able to do any of it and have the same experience without this option.
Why do you use the $ after the number?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by IcHot
Why do you use the $ after the number?
cause I is dyslexic.. any other questions ;-)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
I agree with other posters that there needs to a certain amount of flexibility and pre-planning when deciding to use a 2-4-1. I have used 5 so far - the most recent with two 2-4-1 for the Skyline Family to fly J from SEA-LHR-NCE next March 2017. Our first choice was to try for F in July
One area to consider is when the 2-4-1 is triggered. Ours have appeared around June/July which caused some planning issues for the following year due to the usage regs. "Outbound travel has to occur prior to the expiry of the voucher..." This meant that our options were limited for Summer 2017 as one of the 2-4-1s expired on July 14th. Still - great value IMHO - we fly to the UK every 16-18 months or so for family commitments.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Skyline
I agree with other posters that there needs to a certain amount of flexibility and pre-planning when deciding to use a 2-4-1. I have used 5 so far - the most recent with two 2-4-1 for the Skyline Family to fly J from SEA-LHR-NCE next March 2017. Our first choice was to try for F in July
One area to consider is when the 2-4-1 is triggered. Ours have appeared around June/July which caused some planning issues for the following year due to the usage regs. "Outbound travel has to occur prior to the expiry of the voucher..." This meant that our options were limited for Summer 2017 as one of the 2-4-1s expired on July 14th. Still - great value IMHO - we fly to the UK every 16-18 months or so for family commitments.

I used 2 in a poor manner. They were an OK value unless I value my irritation level on a financial basis. You really have to work the system to get the type of value you guys do, and I admire that.

Since I do not care about anything but Y flights, that eliminates a great deal of value. I also do not think the flights are worth $10-15k, so the savings doesn't thrill me or appeal.

Apart from that, the amount of work needed to secure the seats is outrageous considering how locked in one is with Avios and the cert. I'd rather work hard to seek the lowest cash bargain flight to suit myself and use a cash back (or flexible points) credit card.

Used the Arrival card and bought what I wanted from a wider array of airlines. Fair value and less complication.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Skyline
I try and check my balance YTD in June and again in Sept and then plan my last payments to occur towards the end of the year in Dec, so all vouchers run 24 months forward through the year.

Between me and $1 1K GF we have at least one available in any given year period if not 2.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IcHot
Since I do not care about anything but Y flights
Aside from exceptional circumstances (such as one-way fares, last minute bookings or a requirement for flexibility) if you're only interested in economy flights I don't understand why you would even consider this card? Bit of a waste of time really.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Aside from exceptional circumstances (such as one-way fares, last minute bookings or a requirement for flexibility) if you're only interested in economy flights I don't understand why you would even consider this card? Bit of a waste of time really.
More than a bit of a waste, but the bonus at the beginning was enticing. Then you actually see how difficult the miles are to use for the average family.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nmenaker
cause I is dyslexic.. any other questions ;-)
On carry.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:05 pm

It appears that you can no longer book the outbound on a Chase companion separately from the return. Supposedly Chase says that you cannot book outbound and wait for the return availability to book the return. I was told the voucher has to be used to book the return trip at the same time as the outbound. Anyone else run into this?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by halfcape
It appears that you can no longer book the outbound on a Chase companion separately from the return. Supposedly Chase says that you cannot book outbound and wait for the return availability to book the return. I was told the voucher has to be used to book the return trip at the same time as the outbound. Anyone else run into this?
Just a few weeks ago, I had no problem booking the outbound and return flights separately, 10 days apart, using a Chase 2-4-1 voucher.

Why do you say "Supposedly Chase says...."? Why do you say "supposedly"? Are you getting this second-hand? Besides, you shouldn't be talking to Chase, which has nothing to do with the ticket bookings. You need to be talking to BA.

And I just did a test booking a few moments ago, and the website was perfect fine with me checking both the "redeem a voucher" box as well as the "one-way" box. Several flights were offered.

Advice: Hang up and call back. Or do it on-line.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:45 pm

Try it again and be careful to see how many miles you are spending. I was originally booking online and the miles didn't make sense for a companion voucher. This is what made me aware of a problem. And I did call.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:00 pm

I just did a second test booking, this time using my spouse's account, and her 2-4-1 voucher. No problems booking a one-way ticket for two passengers.

The Avios charge was 16,250 Avios for two passengers travelling SEA to LHR, which is the one-way, off-peak rate for one passenger. Again, no problems.

Someone is giving you bad info.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Strictly speaking and according to the terms and conditions travel has to start and end in the USA. By definition therefore it should not be possible to book the outbound with a plan to book the inbound later on. In practice however, it does seem to be possible provided the agent is amenable.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:42 am

Strictly speaking and according to the terms and conditions travel has to start and end in the USA. By definition therefore it should not be possible to book the outbound with a plan to book the inbound later on. In practice however, it does seem to be possible provided the agent is amenable.
As demonstrated in the last few posts, there is no need for an "amenable agent." It can be very easily accomplished on-line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.