Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
So I have a question, that is not mentioned on the BA website: if I redeem Avois for a RT F ticket from the US, can I use the certificate to bring a companion in First with me?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
So I have a question, that is not mentioned on the BA website: if I redeem Avois for a RT F ticket from the US, can I use the certificate to bring a companion in First with me?
Yes subject to the usual terms that there has to be availability and you pay the taxes/fees for both. It can be used for any cabin on the flight.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yes, we have done it and IMO it is one of the best uses of the 241 cert. It just requires a lot more miles for TATL...

Also keep in mind that the LHR/UK garbage fees for F seats are much higher for F flights that originate in UK. So if you want to fly F westbound TATL to USA then you may wish to start your return journey outside UK with a <24hr. stopover at LHR. That way you avoid the higher fees. It is not an issue inbound to the UK
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Thanks a bunch, yes you need 200,000 miles, but with the 100,000 BA Card, Amex Card transfers, IB/EL 100,000 bonus each etc., this seems very doable.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:05 pm

Thanks a bunch, yes you need 200,000 miles, but with the 100,000 BA Card, Amex Card transfers, IB/EL 100,000 bonus each etc., this seems very doable.
I make a booking yesterday DFW-LHR-ABZ-LHR-IAH in F for two using a GUF2, a space release (joker) and Chase Travel Together ticket. Came to a total of 125,000 Avios plus a little over $2,600 in taxes/fees. Shame about the last part.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
What is a "spacd release" (joker)

Had not heard this term. When making 2 for 1 Avois voucher.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Had not heard this term. When making 2 for 1 Avois voucher.
The 'space release' is the name often used by BA customer service agents for the Gold Guest List redemption. The friendly name here for the Gold Guest List redemption is the 'joker'. You will find more information in the first post in this thread:

Gold Guest List beginner's guide
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
I make a booking yesterday DFW-LHR-ABZ-LHR-IAH in F for two using a GUF2, a space release (joker) and Chase Travel Together ticket. Came to a total of 125,000 Avios plus a little over $2,600 in taxes/fees. Shame about the last part.

While truly "free" would be better, still $2,600 for two in BA First Class, is a good of a deal as you can get in 2018.
Congrats, enjoy your trip!
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:05 am

Possible to include domestic (US) connection on Chase 241 trips?

My home city (ORD) suffers from really poor F availability to LHR anytime outside of the winter months, while other US cities seem to have plenty. When using the Chase 241, is it possible to include domestic US legs on AA, paid for either with Avios or USD? I didn't see a way to do this on the website.

Something along the lines of:
ORD - JFK (AA)
JFK - LHR (BA F)
LHR - JFK (BA F)
JFK - ORD (AA)

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by DanEv; Aug 8, 2018 at 11:06 am Reason: fix spelling
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by DanEv
... is it possible to include domestic US legs on AA, paid for either with Avios or USD? I didn't see a way to do this on the website.
It is not possible. The full terms and conditions are listed here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ravel-together

and what you want to do is listed in point 3 under Rules and Restrictions.

I suggest you use either cash or Avios to get yourself to the departure point and back from your arrival point. When positioning to your departure point please remember that if you miss your BA flight you are likely to have your ticket cancelled so make sure you allow plenty of time and contingency in case there are travel problems.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
I've had the Chase BA card a few years, and recently picked up my second Travel Together Ticket. Could never use the first one, so it expired. I was determined to use the second one. Our youngest child heads off to college next Fall, so the wife and I want to go somewhere far away from the East Coast- we picked Singapore, with a week in Bali. Been reading posts on Flyertalk, signed up for BA Redemption Finder (very useful). Booked flights out 355 days in advance in business class, and last night booked the return when the Redemption Finder site notified me of first class availability from SIN to LHR. It was after 8 PM (around 8:45) and I called the general BA number (1-800-AIRWAYS); they forwarded me to the Executive Club right away (even though if I tried to call the Executive Club directly in the US it would have been closed). It took about 30 minutes, but got done properly. Since we are One world Sapphire after the reservation was present on the BA web site could go in and select seats.

Our itinerary:
IAD to LHR in business (off peak)- got two seats on upper deck of 747
LHR to SIN in business (off peak)- picked two seats together in upper deck of A380
SIN to LHR in first (peak)- in A380
LHR to IAD in business (off peak)- again got two seats on upper deck of 747

Now, the damages: total cost is 50k + 87.5k + 140k + 50k= 327,500 avios plus about $4000. I think booking it as two one-ways and combining made the cash price higher. I looked around- round trip business class fares from IAD to SIN are about 4-6k per person, and first class is about 10-15k per person (we're in the middle). If we flew on Singapore Airlines for two would be 368k miles in business round trip or 480k in first, with no significant cash co-pays. We will go (and enjoy) but I think the Travel Together Ticket ain't that great a deal, and will not pursue in the future. The cash co-pays just kill its usefulness.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Is that $4,000. for 2 people? Sounds like a significant savings over $4000 per person if I understand your post correctly. You mentioned that you booked as two one ways. Does that mean you possibly didn't get the full benefit of the 241? At any rate, once you've collected that many avios I'd say the 241 is the most efficient way of using them. The taxes/fees are killer but still cheaper that paying regular fare, I've found.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by JayeJ
Is that $4,000. for 2 people? Sounds like a significant savings over $4000 per person if I understand your post correctly. You mentioned that you booked as two one ways. Does that mean you possibly didn't get the full benefit of the 241? At any rate, once you've collected that many avios I'd say the 241 is the most efficient way of using them. The taxes/fees are killer but still cheaper that paying regular fare, I've found.
Yes, the $4000 is for two people. It was ~$1800 out and ~$2200 on the return. The voucher (Travel Together Ticket) does NOT impact the cash co-pay; all it does is cut the avios required in half.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by pubsmeister

Now, the damages: total cost is 50k + 87.5k + 140k + 50k= 327,500 avios plus about $4000. I think booking it as two one-ways and combining made the cash price higher. I looked around- round trip business class fares from IAD to SIN are about 4-6k per person, and first class is about 10-15k per person (we're in the middle). If we flew on Singapore Airlines for two would be 368k miles in business round trip or 480k in first, with no significant cash co-pays. We will go (and enjoy) but I think the Travel Together Ticket ain't that great a deal, and will not pursue in the future. The cash co-pays just kill its usefulness.
Hmm, didn't know one could use the 2-4-1 certs and book two one ways.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Hmm, didn't know one could use the 2-4-1 certs and book two one ways.
I think I was allowed to do this as the return trip could not be booked at the time I bought the outbound seats, as it was more than 355 days in advance of the trip home. If you are inside the 355 day window one-ways may not be permitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.