Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by IMH
If there has been a reduction in redemption availability then of course you're right and that's nothing to do with Chase. I was referring to the vast additional demand created by those zillions of Chase Avios increasing the competition to grab whatever inventory is made available for awards.

By BA? By Chase? Or by bloggers pushing the card?
The wording on ba.com for the first Chase 100K offer stated something like enough miles for two free flights.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:17 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HilFly
The wording on ba.com for the first Chase 100K offer stated something like enough miles for two free flights.
My recollection is that both BA and Chase messed up (and unsurprisingly upset a lot of people in the US) by not stressing that redemptions are subject to taxes and fees. Many people in the US wouldn't have expected those fees to be as high as they are and accordingly didn't study the T&C before they applied. But I've never seen the "free flights" wording on a BA or Chase website or flyer. I am of course open to correction.

The more responsible bloggers quickly addressed taxes and fees, as did posters in the FT thread from the very first page on. So no one on FT should really to be claiming unfair surprise.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Buster
I'm also considering stopping with the Chase BA card. I've not been able to find 2 award tickets for any time between November 2014 and May 2015, so there's really no point in having a 2-4-1 cert.
The value of the Chase BA card is really the 10% off BA fares (including taxes!). Basically, using the card on any but the very cheapest TATL fares will make it pay for itself. That's what keeps the card worth it (plus the convenience of chip + sig card, if you don't have another one with that capability, which many US residents still don't).
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I have an existing award reservation for two I paid the full award amount for that I would like to modify to make a 2-4-1 instead. Basically the goal is to keep the existing TATL award legs and adding another destination but also changing the whole thing to a 2-4-1 to get a rebate on the points; possible?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by picards007
I have an existing award reservation for two I paid the full award amount for that I would like to modify to make a 2-4-1 instead. Basically the goal is to keep the existing TATL award legs and adding another destination but also changing the whole thing to a 2-4-1 to get a rebate on the points; possible?
Cancel the whole thing and rebook... which will only work if there is availability on the flights you want before you cancel... Don't assume that canceling will put the award seats back into award inventory, they are likely to go back into general inventory for sale, not into inventory for awards. I very much doubt that you can change an existing reservation to use a 2-4-1, there is probably some fine print somewhere stating that the certificate can be used only for new reservations, not existing ones.

DAK
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by picards007
Call BAEC and ask if it is possible.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Couldnt find the answer from search. Sorry, if i missed it. thnx in advance.

am fast approaching the 30k spend. planning to use it sometime next year for us-india on F. is there a way to redeem it online for me, my wife and our infant daughter?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by harishv79

am fast approaching the 30k spend. planning to use it sometime next year for us-india on F. is there a way to redeem it online for me, my wife and our infant daughter?
You can redeem online for simple round trip. Once the 2-for-1 is in your account you can select if you want to use it when booking an award.

For your infant, which I assume you are going to take as a lap child, then you will need to purchase a separate ticket at 10% of going rates.... that is 10% of the adult F fare. For the infant you will need to telephone BA and have them ticket that separately for the same flights you are on. Look for flights with A class availability so your infant ticket can be priced in A not F fare class which will save a little.

DAK
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by harishv79

Originally Posted by dkerr
You can redeem online for simple round trip. Once the 2-for-1 is in your account you can select if you want to use it when booking an award.

For your infant, which I assume you are going to take as a lap child, then you will need to purchase a separate ticket at 10% of going rates.... that is 10% of the adult F fare. For the infant you will need to telephone BA and have them ticket that separately for the same flights you are on. Look for flights with A class availability so your infant ticket can be priced in A not F fare class which will save a little.

DAK
dkerr's advice is relevant for an AA infant fare but with BA the lap infant fare cost is in avios when avios are being redeemed for the parent (plus 10% of the taxes).
From the BAEC terms and conditions:
15.3. Infants (less than 2 years of age) travelling with a Member on a flight Reward will travel for ten percent of the Avios Points required for the Member's flight Reward if they do not have their own seat. Children (2 years of age or older) and infants who require their own seat will be "charged" the full Avios Points for the relevant destination
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...&link=main_nav
Here are some threads where people booked the Chase 241 with lap infants:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rtificate.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t=infant+chase
They are a quite a bit more threads about infants and the UK Amex voucher.

If you have a household account you can add the infant to the household account and book that way. If you do not have a household account then you have to call to add the infant.

Also see this thread (and the links within):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-booking.html
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
dkerr's advice is relevant for an AA infant fare but with BA the lap infant fare cost is in avios when avios are being redeemed for the parent (plus 10% of the taxes).
From the BAEC terms and conditions:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...&link=main_nav
Here are some threads where people booked the Chase 241 with lap infants:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rtificate.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t=infant+chase
They are a quite a bit more threads about infants and the UK Amex voucher.

If you have a household account you can add the infant to the household account and book that way. If you do not have a household account then you have to call to add the infant.

Also see this thread (and the links within):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-booking.html
That's good to know. In this respect BA is "doing the right thing". Pity about the fuel surcharges applying to award tickets though.

DAK
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:04 am

Is there anyway to track spending towards this beside tallying up the monthly cc spend?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by olouie
Is there anyway to track spending towards this beside tallying up the monthly cc spend?
Easiest is to call them and they will tell you where you stand.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
I use Quicken to track my bank accounts and credit cards. It is very simple to run a year-to-date spend report for the Chase card.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by majortom421
I use Quicken to track my bank accounts and credit cards. It is very simple to run a year-to-date spend report for the Chase card.
I do the same. Plus it reconciles my checking account instantly. No more paper statements.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nologic
What is the quickest time people have seen the voucher post on ba.com?
My wife's statement closed on Aug 4, and i see the voucher showing up today (Aug 6) ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.