Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Amex
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
My BAPP Avios zeroed on Sunday but haven't appeared in BAEC yet.

Normally they are in by the next day. Anyone else noticed delays this month?

Hopefully nothing to do with the upgrades!
I have a feeling mine took a couple of days this month.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:51 am
JIP

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Skywards, SPG Gold

Mine should have transferred on Saturday, haven't as yet. I was going to call today but might give it longer if others have the same problem.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by westers
Anyone else having problems with new foursquare accounts? I set up 2 new accounts yesterday with new email addresses but when I check in it is saying "sync my card" instead of the usual "load to card", when i click on sync my card it is saying there is a problem connecting to Amex
I had a similar problem - in the end, i unsync'd the cards from the Foursquare accounts (in account settings: https://foursquare.com/settings/connections) and then went through the whole sync/load process again.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:03 am
Original Member

I've been using foursquare for a short while, and I'm taking advantage of the various Amex offers, such as Harvey Nicks spend £25 get £25 back.

However, I just can't understand why these offers exist, and who is making money (apart from me) or taking the hit. It appears to me to be completely daft as a business model. Can anyone enlighten me as to the benefit?

Off course, long may it continue
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Amex
Originally Posted by Tim_T
However, I just can't understand why these offers exist, and who is making money (apart from me) or taking the hit. It appears to me to be completely daft as a business model. Can anyone enlighten me as to the benefit?

Off course, long may it continue
It's a good question.

My assumption is that it is a simple "get people into the shop" offer. In most cases where they just give a proportion of the spend back then it is no more than a discount.

The ones like Harvey Nichols are slightly different, but remember that many people aren't doing what we do, and will spend rather more than £25 anyway, especially in shops like that.

In addition, with ones like Harvey Nichols, they know that for many people just giving a discount is not going to entice people in. For me, if the offer had been spend £50 and get £25 back I wouldn't have been interested, but at least the offer got me in the door and I saw what Harvey Nichols sell, and got a free bottle of very drinkable wine for my trouble. In my case it just confirmed that I wouldn't want to go back, but then I am probably not typical.

The one that does puzzle me a bit more is the mix of demographic. I can imagine Amex users who would shop in Harvey Nichols, but I don't imagine them using rather niche social media sites. I'm probably wrong though.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:32 am
Original Member

Amex & BA Master Thread

I now have a bottle of free ( hopefully) drinkable wine from Harvey nicks as well! Unlikely to go back as im rarely near one. Also visited gap, Starbucks and Argos this week for a complete cross section of shops, and now have various free or cheap items.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Tim_T
I now have a bottle of free ( hopefully) drinkable wine from Harvey nicks as well! Unlikely to go back as im rarely near one. Also visited gap, Starbucks and Argos this week for a complete cross section of shops, and now have various free or cheap items.
We're going to hit Harvey Nicks next monday with no less than 11 Amex cards for £275. It's also Mrs P's birthday co-incidentally so she has been looking at dresses on there, however the ones she likes all seem to be £500 upwards (This is how they will make their money )

2/2 of the Tescos we have done have credited already ^

7/10 of the Gap transactions have also credited, just waiting for 1 BMI card and 2 x Lloyds to credit still

List of all known offers (Blatently poached from paidtoshop.co.uk )

Argos spend £20, get £5 until 31st December 2012
Bentalls/Fenwick spend £50, get £10 until 24th December 2012
Harvey Nichols spend £25, get £25 until 31st December 2012
HMV spend £20, get £5 until 31st December 2012
House of Fraser spend £50, get £10 until 31st December 2012
GAP spend £10, get £10 until 31st December 2012
Liberty London spend £50 get £25 until 31st December 2012
Nike spend £50, get £25 until 31st December 2012
Pizza Hut, Spend £30 get £15 until 6th March 2013
Starbucks spend £10, get £5 until 13th February 2013
Tesco spend £50, get £10 until 31st December 2012
Urban Outfitters spend £50 get £25 until 31st December 2012
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Harvey Nicks think like this.

Our average spend is, say, £150 per transaction
Our gross margin is 50 per cent
Excluding VAT, we make £60 per transaction
Giving away £25 to make £60 makes sense if it is incremental business we wouldn't get otherwise

The model falls apart, though, when you start selling hundreds of £25 gift vouchers or £27 wines, and then the vouchers get used in the sale when you are selling stuff at cost price to get rid of it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Pizza Hut, Spend £30 get £15 until 6th March 2013
Hadn't seen the Pizza Hut one before so cheers for that, but how does one spend £30 at Pizza Hut without going as a family of 4???
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
Harvey Nicks think like this.

Our average spend is, say, £150 per transaction
Our gross margin is 50 per cent
Excluding VAT, we make £60 per transaction
Giving away £25 to make £60 makes sense if it is incremental business we wouldn't get otherwise

The model falls apart, though, when you start selling hundreds of £25 gift vouchers or £27 wines, and then the vouchers get used in the sale when you are selling stuff at cost price to get rid of it.
Yes, I think I need to return the £25 of overpriced socks I bought and just get a gift voucher to use in the sales...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Hadn't seen the Pizza Hut one before so cheers for that, but how does one spend £30 at Pizza Hut without going as a family of 4???
Do you have to go to Pizza Hut to eat?

Bottles of Stella are £3.25, so you could get 9.2 bottles

Alternatively their bottles of wine are around £10 each

Not a bad way to start an evening out for £15
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
£30 Giftcard for £15^
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors

Originally Posted by JIP
Mine should have transferred on Saturday, haven't as yet. I was going to call today but might give it longer if others have the same problem.
Any joy? Mine also zeroed last weekend and still not showing.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:21 am
JIP

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Skywards, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JIP

Originally Posted by mc1973
Any joy? Mine also zeroed last weekend and still not showing.
Just called Amex, they agree that there must be a problem and are sending an enquiry to the rewards team. Bet it'll take forever.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by JIP
Just called Amex, they agree that there must be a problem and are sending an enquiry to the rewards team. Bet it'll take forever.
No doubt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.