Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
They also do gift cards (valid at Currys/PC World as well as Dixons Travel ) if you happen to have more than one Amex card or can't decide what to buy!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Yep done it for a few cards and it's working fine - remember to also load the £10 for £10 Cineworld offer and £25 for £50 at Dixons Travel
Bah! I was so busy focussing on the 3000 bonus Worldpoints and triggering the minimum spend on one of my Amex cards, I forgot I could have synced it up and got another £25 back. Oh well.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
They also do gift cards (valid at Currys/PC World as well as Dixons Travel ) if you happen to have more than one Amex card or can't decide what to buy!
So you can buy a £50 gift card at airport Dixons Travel for £25 and use on the high street? Thanks, I never knew that.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
So you can buy a £50 gift card at airport Dixons Travel for £25 and use on the high street? Thanks, I never knew that.
Yep
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:55 am

OK success with Amex-Xbox Carphone Warehouse offer - they can do 'gift vouchers', they just don't look particularly gift-like! They instead print out a till receipt with the credit (not all sales staff seem to know how to process them as it's not a particularly common request!). They also sell £25 iTunes cards, but sadly Google Play Store cards aren't yet available in the UK. The voucher is showing valid until 2021!! ^
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
What's the current BA Premium offer like? I need to spend £5k at the end of the month (might this be too much to expect as a limit) so thinking of a way to get something for it. Likely to balance transfer to an MBNA anyway so interest rate is irrelevant.

Also thinking of dropping AMEX Plat in May, so this would replace it. Thoughts ? Will they give an idea of credit without actually processing the application?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:01 pm
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
Originally Posted by ups
I am going to pre-order some currency from Amex using the Amex gold charge card this evening. Any other experiences from anyone, especially with gold card? I'd like to know before I try it and get hit with the fees...
So i used ba.com to book some currency from Amex at LHR T5 using my Amex PRG. The transaction went through fine. It has now appeared in the statement and I received 1x points. Should this have been 2x points being travel spend?

At the ACE desk I asked for my BA number to be added, and initially the guy tried to tell me that I can't get BA number added as I have received a good rate and to get avios I should've gone through ba.com or avios.com which would give me avios albeit with a poorer rate. I told him that I did go through ba.com and then he went into the back to get the BAEC number added. However after 2 minutes he came back saying it can't be added at that time because it takes several days for their system to be updated in order to get my details in their system. He has assured me that it will get added soon as he has taken a note of it. I'm not sure if this will work, anyone else experienced it?

On the positive side my Worldpoints number was added successfully and the points have already hit my account.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:13 pm

Checked into our local Tesco, loaded the offer to my synced card, spent £50 on a gift card. No £10 credit showing on my statement. Looked on my phone again and the offer had been unloaded, I had to do it again!! I emailed Amex explaining what happened and am awaiting a reply
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sprodo
What's the current BA Premium offer like? I need to spend £5k at the end of the month (might this be too much to expect as a limit) so thinking of a way to get something for it. Likely to balance transfer to an MBNA anyway so interest rate is irrelevant.

Also thinking of dropping AMEX Plat in May, so this would replace it. Thoughts ? Will they give an idea of credit without actually processing the application?
If referred for a BAPP card, you get 26k Avios after £3k spend in 3 months. Or use a cashback site and get 25k avios and £10 cashback.

In case you don't get a large credit limit, if the spend can be split you can put half on your BAPP card, then pay it off with a debit card and your available balance is updated immediately, allowing you to charge the rest.

Oh, and if you need a referral, let me know!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by stoneman
Checked into our local Tesco, loaded the offer to my synced card, spent £50 on a gift card. No £10 credit showing on my statement. Looked on my phone again and the offer had been unloaded, I had to do it again!! I emailed Amex explaining what happened and am awaiting a reply
When you reloaded it did it say 'already loaded'? If not it sounds like it didn't go on properly the first time. It does take 2-3 days after the charge for the credit to post.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Amex
When you reloaded it did it say 'already loaded'? If not it sounds like it didn't go on properly the first time. It does take 2-3 days after the charge for the credit to post.
I had one recently which didn't show up on Foursquare as already loaded a few days after my transaction, but it certainly was at the time (I was being very careful to make sure that it had done so). It does seem that there are occasional ones which this happens to.

Hopefully the email will result in a credit, but I have to say that even if this one is missed it has still been well worth it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:07 pm

No, that how I knew it had unloaded itself. I had been quite obsessive about making sure all of my offers were loaded, to the point of trying to load them several times and making sure I got the "already loaded". The Tesco one I had actually done probably for the umpteenth time the day I went in to buy the gift card.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by stoneman
No, that how I knew it had unloaded itself. I had been quite obsessive about making sure all of my offers were loaded, to the point of trying to load them several times and making sure I got the "already loaded". The Tesco one I had actually done probably for the umpteenth time the day I went in to buy the gift card.
Interesting - it should really still credit then. I must admit I've taken to screenshotting it after loading it now, although fingers crossed all have posted OK so far. Today's Gap one posted as "Gap/Kids" (although it was a normal Gap store), but I got a 4sq notification OK so am pretty happy it'll still credit.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
I'm having mixed results with this so far, based on using 10 different cards at GAP and the 4sq notifications 4/10 :

My Bapp - yes
My supp BAPP - yes
My BMI - fail
My Gold - yes
My Lloyds - fail
Mrs P BAPP - yes
Mrs P Plat - fail
Mrs P supp BAPP - fail
Mrs P BMI - fail
Mrs P Lloyds - fail
Based on using 2 cards at Tesco so far 1/2:

My Supp BAPP - yes
Mrs P BAPP - fail
I'm really not surprised the Lloyds ones failed honestly, the Amexnetwork offers never seem to work on them (Anyone ever got Amextoptreats points from Lloyds?)

No credits posted yet, although it's only been since Friday.

On another note, regarding check in to one store, purchase from another, I think it's OK because if you try to check in to the store and load the offer again it says "Already loaded" so it looks like it should work. The GAP purchases I made on my own cards were from Brent Cross whereas I checked in to Westfield. Mrs P checked in to Westfield and went to Westfield.

Last edited by PanGalactic; Dec 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Are there any pre-paid cards that can be used at the moment like the old paypal one? Got a large tax bill to pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.