Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:53 am

So if you're travelling in LH F, you get chauffeured all the way to the aircraft? If yes, are there any other airlines that offer this and is this service only available at the airline's hub?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by flying mermaid
By the way we had 2 fabulous legs with BA, with very friendly and professional service - going over was a super efficient lady called Wendy with a very pretty side kick, who encouraged me to partake of the champagne for breakfast.

Although the seats might be the same there is a huge difference in the elbow room and personal space, so I think CE is worth every cent (although I did hunt out discounted CE tickets).
Hoping we can get a repeat of that this Sunday, when Mme. F & I have our first experience of CE, also LHR-IST.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pandor
So if you're travelling in LH F, you get chauffeured all the way to the aircraft? If yes, are there any other airlines that offer this and is this service only available at the airline's hub?
LX F (or connecting from it) at ZRH. Very nice it was too last time - waiting in the back of a comfy warm Merc as a bus unloaded everyone into the cold to board our A320 ZRH-LHR...with everyone trying to squint into the Merc to see what VIP or superstar was inside it. Little did they know it was plebby old me, ha! When the bus had emptied and driven off, I was then boarded comfortably before the second bus arrived.

NB: LX (much as I think their weight limits if enforced are ridiculous) also have the rather nice touch of 'Business Class Baggage Only' signs on the first rows of shorthaul, thus making the 'board early to nab space' argument less important ^
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
LX F (or connecting from it) at ZRH. Very nice it was too last time - waiting in the back of a comfy warm Merc as a bus unloaded everyone into the cold to board our A320 ZRH-LHR...with everyone trying to squint into the Merc to see what VIP or superstar was inside it. Little did they know it was plebby old me, ha! When the bus had emptied and driven off, I was then boarded comfortably before the second bus arrived.

NB: LX (much as I think their weight limits if enforced are ridiculous) also have the rather nice touch of 'Business Class Baggage Only' signs on the first rows of shorthaul, thus making the 'board early to nab space' argument less important ^
Amazing, I never knew such service could occur because of security reasons. Well it certainly assists someone who wants to be treated like a true VIP when travelling First Class.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:25 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
And if you have an issue with people looking at you, NEVER EVER book a LH First Class redemption. The look on the faces of the fellow passengers when a Porsche pulls up at the steps of the plane and a guy gets out holdings a board with your name on it, ready to whisk you and you alone off to the First Class Lounge whilst your fellow pax have to pile onto a bus, beats anything you will get in the front row of CE ....
^

What must come quite close to this is the JetQuay service at SIN. In this situation, if you take the JetQuay service, a buggy waits for you at the door with a lady with a board with your name. She then takes your baggage receipt and radios those ahead to a colleague who collects your luggage whilst you're taken to the private terminal to get your limmo into town which will have your luggage in the boot. Whilst she is radioing from the buggy, all your fellow F pax ( ...... and others) start to pile on to your buggy as though they should .... and they do not like ejection.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even worse (or better) is when you board a LH long-haul flight in F. They drive you across to the plane, and then ask you if they should stop the entire boarding of the plane so that you can get on, or if you want to wander to the back of the boarding queue. Choose the immediate boarding option and fellow pax will be held back whilst you board, with any hand luggage carried by a LH flunky who follows you up the stairs (assuming its a 747) and stows it away for you. Again, not for the easily embarrassed.
I must try that piece of egotistical pleasure sometime..........carrying my Primark shopping bag.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Our soon-to-be 2 year old likes being up-front because she can play at sticking her head through the curtain, and when the trolleys aren't there she happily runs up and down the plane saying Hello to everyone.

When did aircraft cabins become childrens' playgrounds?

I would hope that cabin staff would immediately put a halt to a child running up and down a cabin.

There are people who want to sleep, work, or relax in peace, after all.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I must try that piece of egotistical pleasure sometime..........carrying my Primark shopping bag.
Haha, that would be really funny, makes me laugh visualising it!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Classic...the Primark bag would be like the cherry on a sundae...^
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

I would hope that cabin staff would immediately put a halt to a child running up and down a cabin.

Must say I take pleasure in seeing a happy child full of the joys of early life. Grumpy old men are a bit of a pain though.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
I've got no issue with being turned back, but in this instance it was the particular manner in which it was done that irked (bit of a stroppy cow unfortunately - unlike the vast majority of LGW/BA staff).

They actually put it in writing (by e-mail) and copied in about 10 people on the BA management team at LGW. Confirmed that priority boarding for Gold and Silver should be offered without exception, and that the member of staff concerned had been talked to about both the priority boarding policy, and the manner in which she addressed premium passengers.

I agree that LGW are generally very good at pre-boarding (unlike LHR until recently...).
Aha, a stroppy cow - thankfully there are few of those at LGW. Though I do know of one, but she only gets like that when off duty and posting on FT

Shuttle-Bored I hope you understand I wasn't having a go at you at all.

Interesting to hear how this was addressed by management. I hope they also raised it with the TRM involved.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

2-year-olds on the prowl are good fun. You would have be an unbelievably miserable sod (in general, not being specific to you!) not to feel a little warm glow when my 2-year daughter with her big moon face and huge smile comes up to you and say Hello before toddling off.

2-year-olds who are being held down by their parents because someone doesn't want them to wander around are emphatically not good fun for anyone within 20 metres of said child.

In general, Y on a 90 minute flight is not a place to sleep, work or relax in peace.

Nuff said.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 22, 2009 at 9:55 am
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pandor
Amazing, I never knew such service could occur because of security reasons. Well it certainly assists someone who wants to be treated like a true VIP when travelling First Class.
Pandor, it is easier than you think. Get yourself the BMI Amex card. This comes with 24,000 BMI Diamond Club miles. This is almost enough miles for a one-way First Class Swiss ticket to the Middle East (eg LHR-ZRH-DXB) which only requires 25,000 miles + £225 cash + tax.

Spend a few quid more on the card (2 miles per £1) and Swiss F to the US is only 31,250 miles + £212 + tax one-way.

Use some BA miles to come back or buy a cheap one-way in Y.

(Lufthansa F is more expensive, unfortunately, because they don't let you do 'cash and miles' and impose a 10k each-way 'surcharge' for the 'privilege' of flying LH.)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whilst I remember, the easily embarrassed should also avoid picking very lightly loaded flights. You will then avoid - as I experienced once - a pan-Gatwick tannoy announcement asking you to get your arse down to the gate because everyone else on the flight has turned up early and they want to get off. (This was Air Maroc and I was in the Priority Pass lounge.)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:09 am

Pandor, it is easier than you think. Get yourself the BMI Amex card. This comes with 24,000 BMI Diamond Club miles. This is almost enough miles for a one-way First Class Swiss ticket to the Middle East (eg LHR-ZRH-DXB) which only requires 25,000 miles + £225 cash + tax.

Spend a few quid more on the card (2 miles per £1) and Swiss F to the US is only 31,250 miles + £212 + tax one-way.

Use some BA miles to come back or buy a cheap one-way in Y.

(Lufthansa F is more expensive, unfortunately, because they don't let you do 'cash and miles' and impose a 10k each-way 'surcharge' for the 'privilege' of flying LH.)
I was amazed at the fact that being chauffeured all the way to the aircraft is even allowed after 9/11! I can never imagine such service to be allowed at Heathrow. Thanks for the tips though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.