Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
My main motivation for boarding early is access to the overhead locker like others. However I am completely oblivious to comments and looks from others, I just get a book out and start reading and let it all wash over me; though would agree with the sentiment that to be perfectly honest there is not much to be envious of.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
I thought the point of getting on early, other than the overhead bin issue, was so you can smugly stare at the ET passengers as they board, and have them see how important you are because you are sat in CE.

Now that there are so few benefits of CE over ET, the opportunity to look smug and important is now one of the key reasons to fly CE.

Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Have never experienced this (however, I've only had 11 flight in CE in total).

Once, however, on LX, i was seated in biz (as the only passenger on that flight), and heard some passengers comment during boarding: "Nice seat.. These are business, though.." Except for the free middle seat, they were getting a quite similar seat further back
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Evil-glares....I think it's just your imagination especially in CE.

Me and the wife boarded early for our TAM flight to LHR and were the only ones sitting in J whilst the Y passengers walked past us through to the back.
I never once looked at their faces to see if I was getting evil stares or not. I just carried on reading my paper.

Last edited by HIDDY; Dec 21, 2009 at 12:47 pm
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NuncEstBibendum
Just smile smugly back at them and say "Get a move on then, you're holding up my champagne."
Touché!!!

I've always interpreted those stares as envy and sometimes jealousy.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Urgh,

Reminds me of a flight to ORD a few years back. I thought it was a 747 so boarded at the start for my F seat. I like to board early, get settled, have some bubbly and change in to my PJs. Turns out it was a 777 and everyone boarded through 1L. I sat there trying to blend in to the furniture while 100+ people boarded and oohed and aahed at the F cabin as they shuffled past while having a good nosey at all the F pax and the cabin. Really did feel quite uncomfortable. How dare they make us mix with the unwashed masses, Lol
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:47 pm

Programs: Shiny ones
Makes me wish for the 757 with door 2 boarding... Left turn on boarding in CE was always a nice treat...

Techno
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
I've never noticed it (I fly CE quite often from LHR) but if some people were to give me evils and swear at me because I'm sitting in a glorified Y seat with marginally less-bad food, the only emotion they would get from me would be pity for being criminally thick.

Seriously, if someone says "smug b***h" for no other reason than that the woman is sat in CE, they have some major emotional problems.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: FT
your first mistake was to make eye contact....read a paper but do not look at the cattle being loaded....
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:19 pm

Truth be told.....the chavs are likely to be up front nowadays and the bankers down the back.

No social class distinction nowadays in air travel. Ten minutes spent on the internet with a beggar and I can have him flying across the Atlantic in a premium cabin for the cost of a economy ticket.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I find when boarding first, sitting down with a smug look and drinking a toast to every Y pax that walks by, that some of the ingrates take exception.

Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Precisely.

A couple of months ago I was in 2A when a girl in ET put her bag up there and carried on walking. I asked her if she was going to leave it there to which her response was "yeah, there's no-one sitting there". I said that she didn't know whether that person was yet to board. She then said "there won't be any space down the back". I very politely responded "well in that case I know the crew will be happy to help you find somewhere for it, but the overheads here are for those who've paid for this seating". I heard her mutter "b!tch" under her breath but she moved the bag.

And yes, I've had the evil eye a few times. Sad isn't it.
Well done! :-::-::-:

Wish I'd been there to compliment you.

I actually started a thread in the AA forum about pax doing this, was surprised over how many in premium cabin who never saw anything like this ever happen.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...own-cabin.html

Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mkjr
your first mistake was to make eye contact....read a paper but do not look at the cattle being loaded....
Quite true - I think I was probably doing my usual deleting unwanted emails from my blackberry when this awful woman caught my eye mouthing off and I started paying attention.

As has been said there's very little difference from Y class especially for me as I don't eat the meals, so I've no idea what's going on. Like I said in the original post I've never seen it before - only in CW which is much more understandable (another benefit of the upper deck I suppose!).
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by wiluk
One woman, who had clearly never seen a bottle of shampoo, even pointed at the cabin to her companion while queuing and ranted about why anyone would bother paying extra AND called the lady to my left a "smug b***h", which I thankfully don't think she heard..
Just noticed it was a LIS flight.

A woman - worse the wear for drink - shouting abuse
.........PUCCI GALORE goes to Lisbon on holiday regularly.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
If anyone travelled the old GB Airways routes from LGW then you would have encountered this at check in on the return leg. As there was a lot of 'charter' traffic, the people could not understand that the CE desk was for CE passengers. It really upset people that there were only three or four people waiting at that CE check in desk when the ET desks had about 100!

I encountered a lady who was moved from the CE queue and two hours later she was still moanong about it on the bus to get the aircraft!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.