Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Silver;
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
At the gate the TRM is in charge of when and how he/she wants the aircraft boarded. Very occasionally they will tell the gate agents it must be STRICTLY by row number and they will always have a good reason for this, ie. time critical to meet the slot. This is the only time the gate team will turn a gold or silver back, as when this is the case it applies to every passenger on the flight, including golds and silvers.

I don't know whether or not this was the case on the flight you mention, but I find it very disappointing that a member of management, who was not at the gate to know exactly what was going on, would say this to you.

LGW are (mainly) very good at offering pre-boarding to silvers and golds.
If you want to see a great boarding scrum to rival the low cost airlines - see any of the BA evening flights back from Geneva each day.
Despite even having a little barrier for CE, Golds/Silver, I have yet to see it actually put somewhere useful, as opposed to propping up the desck or any semblance of boarding control occuring (on any of the 30odd sectors I've taken this year GVA-LHR with BA).
To be honest it probably isn't helped by either:
- the need for the additional passport check which is always right in front of the desk meaning everyone mills around by the gate after getting their boarding pass stamped
- nor the high number of CE pax on this route where you often see CE down to rows 12-15.
But I have to say it really is a chaotic process, unlike anylike anything you normally see at other BA outstations.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
At the gate the TRM is ultimately in charge of when and how he/she wants the aircraft boarded. Very occasionally they will tell the gate agents it must be VERY STRICTLY by row number and they will always have a good reason for this, ie. time critical to meet the slot. This is the only time the gate team will turn a gold or silver back, as in this case it applies to every passenger on the flight, including golds and silvers.

I don't know whether or not this was the case on the flight you mention, but I find it very disappointing that a member of management, who was not at the gate to know exactly what was going on, would say this to you.

LGW are (mainly) very good at offering pre-boarding to silvers and golds.
I've got no issue with being turned back, but in this instance it was the particular manner in which it was done that irked (bit of a stroppy cow unfortunately - unlike the vast majority of LGW/BA staff).

They actually put it in writing (by e-mail) and copied in about 10 people on the BA management team at LGW. Confirmed that priority boarding for Gold and Silver should be offered without exception, and that the member of staff concerned had been talked to about both the priority boarding policy, and the manner in which she addressed premium passengers.

I agree that LGW are generally very good at pre-boarding (unlike LHR until recently...).
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
On spying that we were in row 2, she turned to her daughter and said something along the lines of "huh, they're boarding early, who do they think they are?". Bit my lip and resisted the temptation to say anything - but what a nosy moo!
You should have got your gold card out and wiped her face in it.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
You should have got your gold card out and wiped her face in it.
Or my lowly Silver (cursed recession ). The Other Half did quip once on board that we should have replied "a little bit commercially more important to BA than you love"...
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:24 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
We have had stares and even rude comments sometimes when checking in. Despite the fact that the monitors clearly state that the desk is for Club/First etc people still queue up there and get very upset when they are moved out and we are put at the front of the queue. Send them back to the LCCs.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You all must be vastly more perceptive than I am. Or maybe more imaginative? Or is it because I mind my own business and don't stare at the people boarding behind me?

I've taken literally hundreds of CE flights and never noticed any nasty looks or comments. I'm about to take another one now.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:41 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
You all must be vastly more perceptive than I am. Or maybe more imaginative? Or is it because I mind my own business and don't stare at the people boarding behind me?
Perhaps because when you sit down you are normally facing towards people that board after you.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've only ever noticed a handful of people gazing wistfully in my direction with a wry "lucky you" smile as they queue up in the aisles on their way to WT. Otherwise everyone Y bound usually seems preoccupied with boarding, controlling their kids etc.

Though I now travel in CW, I spent several years simmering with jealousy when I could only afford to fly long haul in Y, so I'm sure I'll be impervious to any dirty looks or comments, if they ever happen!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by uk1
Perhaps because when you sit down you are normally facing towards people that board after you.
Not in 1A you aren't! Especially if you are reading the FT or playing with your iPhone, etc.

But still I glance up from time to time and have never noticed hostility. Maybe some people get excited, mistaking me for Brad Pitt. But never any negative comments.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:50 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Not in 1A you aren't! Especially if you are reading the FT or playing with your iPhone, etc.

But still I glance up from time to time and have never noticed hostility. Maybe some people get excited, mistaking me for Brad Pitt. But never any negative comments.
Ahhhh .... so you do see them then Brad .......

I think what you are saying is not that there aren't any negative comments ... but if they were you wouldn't be aware of them . Quite different from what you said about other people's over heightened perceptions ......

Some of us only have the queus to keep us amused.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:26 am

We fly to LHR longhaul in J and continue in EC (NCE). We wait to board until the announcements are made for our cabin, and usually stand to the side, so to not be in the way of preboarders (familes with kiddies, wheel chairs etc.) AND in case they do board pax by seat numbers. It's never been a problem.

That is until once I was literally abused and totally embarrased when, on a blazing hot day in NCE, rather than joining the long queu lined up before the gate, we as per usual with a few others, stood to the side and waited for announcements. The pax in the long queu assumed we were expecting preferential treatment and hissed and hurled verbal profanities at us.

At small airports like NCE, flying much smaller aircrafts, I would not presume to be boarded before other pax ~ to me it just seems illogical, to not fill up the back first. Times is usually of essence; it would make much more sense and be far less disruptive, if the other pax get on first and so-called premium pax board last.

With larger aircraft and you just turn left once onboard, it is convenient, but it isn't a major perk for me at all. Check-in though is a different story
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold
The stares are not just from people in ET. Today I had an older chap and his wife behind me, and I received the most evil "You can't be travelling Club! You don't look like a Club passenger wearing those jeans!" stare from a daily mail-reading gent in the seat behind. A side of our culture that is quite annoying - you'd never get that in America!

I also received some evil stares the other day for having seat 4A (the CE style one in economy) back from SKG. And whispers of "why has he got a bigger seat" etc. Surprisingly no one had booked into 4B, yet the flight was pretty full, so clearly no flyertalkers onboard.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
In my experience, the best way to avoid embarrassment is to either:

a) convince yourself that you are better than other people and thus deserve to be up front, or
b) actually BE better than other people and thus deserve to be up front

It makes the whole process so much easier. Especially when you have push people out of the way to get to your designated check-in desk, boarding queue, security lane etc. If you treat them as equivalent human beings to yourself the whole process gets embarrassing ....

And if you have an issue with people looking at you, NEVER EVER book a LH First Class redemption. The look on the faces of the fellow passengers when a Porsche pulls up at the steps of the plane and a guy gets out holdings a board with your name on it, ready to whisk you and you alone off to the First Class Lounge whilst your fellow pax have to pile onto a bus, beats anything you will get in the front row of CE ....

Even worse (or better) is when you board a LH long-haul flight in F. They drive you across to the plane, and then ask you if they should stop the entire boarding of the plane so that you can get on, or if you want to wander to the back of the boarding queue. Choose the immediate boarding option and fellow pax will be held back whilst you board, with any hand luggage carried by a LH flunky who follows you up the stairs (assuming its a 747) and stows it away for you. Again, not for the easily embarrassed.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 22, 2009 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by cabinfever
Surprisingly no one had booked into 4B, yet the flight was pretty full, so clearly no flyertalkers onboard.
Clearly the plane was packed with FTers who'd know 4B would be a bit of a squeeze in that config

I've had comments in the past (I also like to board early to secure overhead space) including on my most recent flight (directed at the cabin in general, not at me personally) but let them just roll off me. What do I care if people about to have a less comfortable time than me are jealous or bitter - they're worse off than me in multiple ways in that case! I'm normally either reading a paper or on my phone doing e-mail or something anyway so otherwise occupied and not paying attention. Oh, and I don't begrudge others in CE when I'm in ET either, of course.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
And if you have an issue with people looking at you, NEVER EVER book a LH First Class redemption. The look on the faces of the fellow passengers when a Porsche pulls up at the steps of the plane and a guy gets out holdings a board with your name on it, ready to whisk you and you alone off to the First Class Lounge whilst your fellow pax have to pile onto a bus, beats anything you will get in the front row of CE ....
Or in one instance, have the car arrive at the same time as a bus. Watch and cringe/giggle as the driver prevents the anyone from getting on the plane before you.

Other than that, I've only really noticed people making 'wow, look at these seats' on longhauls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.