Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:59 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Raffles
Our soon-to-be 2 year old likes being up-front because she can play at sticking her head through the curtain, and when the trolleys aren't there she happily runs up and down the plane saying Hello to everyone.
I'm fine with this, as long as she doesn't put her sticky fingers on everything and everyone as she passes...
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by OPebble
Because we like to be able to get our wheelie and PC bag in an overhead locker before a) some erk in ET dumps their bag in or b) some jerk, with two bags the size of a pantechnicon, who should have had them taken off and checked in at the gate takes all the space!
Precisely! I'm sure this is getting worse lately, is this something that crew would/should/could enforce? I'd be interested to hear if it's something that is discussed or not. It's a real pain on domestic as well as I'm almost always in row 1 or 2 and almost always with a trolley.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by cme17
If anyone travelled the old GB Airways routes from LGW then you would have encountered this at check in on the return leg. As there was a lot of 'charter' traffic, the people could not understand that the CE desk was for CE passengers. It really upset people that there were only three or four people waiting at that CE check in desk when the ET desks had about 100!

I encountered a lady who was moved from the CE queue and two hours later she was still moanong about it on the bus to get the aircraft!
Have encountered similar behaviour at LHR, albeit at the fast track lane just before boarding. Full flight and long queue in the WT/WT+ line with quite a few passengers moaning about why the ground agents were not allowing them to use that other "empty" line as well. Credit to the ground agents who tried to maintain some sense of order in the midst of it all.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
On my LHR-FCO flight yesterday all the CE overhead bins were shut as boarding began. The purser said that all the bins in CE were empty and we wouldn't have trouble finding room for our luggage. They had left them closed on purpose so that ET passengers wouldn't dump their stuff in CE storage on the way to the their seats in the back of the plane. She added she was sick and tired of seeing that happen all the time. ^

Now if this were new BA policy, it would definitely be a real enhancement for a change! ^

Last edited by London Dude; Dec 21, 2009 at 2:47 pm
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by wiluk
I've experienced the evil glares while sitting in a CW seat waiting for the masses in Y to board around me in the past on more than once occasion but never before on shorthaul (maybe just luck!).

Probably my first time in CE for a year or so (usually domestic or CW), I was amazed at the amount of evil glares I and my seat-mates were getting. One woman, who had clearly never seen a bottle of shampoo, even pointed at the cabin to her companion while queuing and ranted about why anyone would bother paying extra AND called the lady to my left a "smug b***h", which I thankfully don't think she heard.

Similar evil glares on the way back - has it always been like this and I've just been blind to it?
I thought the looks of envy (evil glares?) were one of the perks of sitting in CE ? And why would anyone want to sit in ET for chrissakes ?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
I am looking forward to the evil glares I will get from other CE passengers when I get onboard for a four hour flight in CE, armed with an eight-week old

Having been on the other side of the fence for so long, I will be able to understand their fears
Well at least the glares won't be a surprise to you.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by London Dude
On my LHR-FCO flight yesterday all the CE overhead bins were shut as boarding began. The purser said that all the bins in CE were empty and we wouldn't have trouble finding room for our luggage. They had left them closed on purpose so that ET passengers wouldn't dump their stuff in CE storage on the way to the their seats in the back of the plane. She added she was sick and tired of seeing that happen all the time. ^

Now if this were new BA policy, it would definitely be a real enhancement for a change! ^
It is actually quite common... well, if you are on one of my flights it is...
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: Falconflyer Gold
I have to confess that I have walked past those sat in exit rows enviously and wondered how they beat me to that seat? Not sure what happens now (with the new seat booking scheme) but in the past I've logged in seconds after these seats came available and found some bugger had beaten to them.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodison
Precisely! I'm sure this is getting worse lately, is this something that crew would/should/could enforce? I'd be interested to hear if it's something that is discussed or not. It's a real pain on domestic as well as I'm almost always in row 1 or 2 and almost always with a trolley.
I have tried... and tried... and tried...

And I have to admit, and sorry, but ladies are the worst. A handbag DOES count as a piece of hand luggage... and the size of some of these handbags that are floating around, they should be sold as suit cases...
I am not negating the fact that my colleagues on the ground should be stopping this baggage even making it to the aircraft, but once onboard, it is just becoming unmanageable.

I have been accused of being racist, sexist and ageist for asking people to stow their second (and sometimes third or fourth) items of hand luggage under the seat in front.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Several years ago flying back with LH into MAN from FRA I was in J and the better half in Y (well I had got her upgraded on the Frankfurt-Seoul route compliments of *A free upgrade vouchers I'd been sent as a silver member).

Anyway, I was waiting for her at the of the jetway and a guy who'd been staring at me when he was boarding the plane walked passed and made some sarchastic comment about people using J. It took me quite by surprise!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
and the size of some of these handbags that are floating around, they should be sold as suit cases...
Funny! And the number and variety of items they carry round in them
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crystal_cad
Funny! And the number and variety of items they carry round in them
Ha ha ha... I was standing at the front of Club a while back, just before the start of the safety demo, and this lady in 1C was looking in her oversized handbag before I put it in the locker for take off. I asked what she was looking for, and she told me that she could not find her phone to switch it off...

So, I told her, I think you will find it on the coffee table, which is beside the standard lamp and the potted plant, left after passing the kitchen sink...

Well, her seat mate and herself were in hysterics... One of the best flights I have ever done... they got off a little more tipsy than I am sure they had intended...
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:52 pm

I've not had any evils in CE but then I've only flown it twice and don't look like a banker! Just little 22 year old me sat there listening to an iPod

I did get evils from a woman in MIA when using the priority boarding lane (was flying Virgin PE which is v nice) - I caused a minor hold up while I asked about my duty-free then carried on walking, in the mean time an economy passenger tried to cross in front of me to get to the desk but was held back by the security guard

I thought it was quite unnecessary (plenty of room for both of us to walk) but equally nice to see them enforcing the premium pax boarding first (there were more behind me). I also had a lot of bags and wanted to get to my seat!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
IMHO, anything that requires wheels to manoeuver it should be beneath you in the hold, not over your head. I get fed up of seeing people trying to stuff trolley bags in overhead bins whilst at the same time crushing whatever was in there first. On more than one occasion I've had jackets come out of the overhead looking like they have ben rolled into a ball, rather than neatly folded as they went in.

Or, they have got there first and inserted their oversized luggage sideways, taking up the whole bin.

The other one is student types with rucksacks.

<sits back and awaits flames>
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by FenLandK
IMHO, anything that requires wheels to manoeuver it should be beneath you in the hold, not over your head. I get fed up of seeing people trying to stuff trolley bags in overhead bins whilst at the same time crushing whatever was in there first. On more than one occasion I've had jackets come out of the overhead looking like they have ben rolled into a ball, rather than neatly folded as they went in.

Or, they have got there first and inserted their oversized luggage sideways, taking up the whole bin.

The other one is student types with rucksacks.

<sits back and awaits flames>
There's nothing wrong with rollerboards or rucksacks (or backpacks for others); so as long as they remain regulation size then why should you care.

Your bone of contention is that they are often not of regulation size. I usually carry a backpack with me, and I like to fill it up too. But in many cases it ends up being the same size if not still smaller than a regulation size rollerboard anyway.

Jackets in overheads? Sorry, unless it's a light load today they will never come out unscathed, no matter how well you put it in there.

Still - getting a good overhead bin space is better than a bad one which is better than none at all! Which is why when I flew LHR-FRA CE in early November, even though I get priority boarding through both CE and oneworld Emerald, I didn't take any chances. I left the lounge a little earlier and camped near the priority line. Just as well - the plane was full and the game of overhead bin jigsaw ensued.

I clearly stuck out as a tourist and probably not looking the affluent type either (not sure how much race and social class are related in the UK), but I didn't get any particular stares as everyone boarded the aircraft. I even had a nice conversation with my seat mate in 1C. Most of the plane was suits - including 1C - so I guess they're less concerned about "how did this guy possibly afford CE" and more about their next meeting, business deal or the like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.