Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Semi-OT: Evil glares from other PAX while sat in CE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Raffles
2-year-olds on the prowl are good fun. You would have be an unbelievably miserable sod (in general, not being specific to you!) not to feel a little warm glow when my 2-year daughter with her big moon face and huge smile comes up to you and say Hello before toddling off.
I guess I fall into the unbelievably miserable sod category then, because I'm very sorry but I wouldn't like this either.

Of course kids can be cute, especially to their parents, but not always to everybody else.

I'd rather have HIDDY as a grumpy old man!

Sorry Raffles
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
carrying my Primark shopping bag.
I really believe that shopping bags are a great way to carry your stuff if you do not have much. It allows you to keep using the bag (good for the environment), it has handy handles and it is just the right size for a couple of t shirts, some headphones, an iPod and amenity kit.

It also leaves off the annoying flappy bits on a back pack.

I like my yellow 'Food Palace' one.

For checked baggage I am sure nothing beats the old tyre stuffed with your stuff and wrapped in hessian. I have not done this yet although I want to one day when flying longhaul F. It is at the same time durable and unlikely to be pilfered by the baggage handlers. Also easy to transport as you just wheel it along. I have seen these being checked in at DOH, although admittedly not in the Premium Terminal.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Dec 22, 2009 at 10:34 am
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:34 am

Seeing as CE doesn't even have priority boarding, I have never noticed any glares. Or maybe that's because by the time I'm seated I've already hepped (sic) meself to the generous drinkies in the lounge.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I guess I fall into the unbelievably miserable sod category then,
Yep.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Takes one to know one
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
That's a grumpy old banker....bet you've checked-in a few of them eh?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:22 am
Suspended

That's a grumpy old banker....bet you've checked-in a few of them eh?
Read that quickly and it sounds quite different!!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Whilst I remember, the easily embarrassed should also avoid picking very lightly loaded flights. You will then avoid - as I experienced once - a pan-Gatwick tannoy announcement asking you to get your arse down to the gate because everyone else on the flight has turned up early and they want to get off. (This was Air Maroc and I was in the Priority Pass lounge.)

Had this for the first time since childhood (my Dad was always a "one last drink" type in airport bars) on my last flight, DUS-LGW with FlyBe 10 days ago or so. Four of us were getting our stuff together in the PP lounge (DUS Term C) and had made it to the foot of the stairs (less than 5 mins from the flight going green). Of course, with this being a lightly loaded Dash-8, there were only around 30-40 pax (not enough to make a single bus seem busy) and they held the bus for us.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In my experience, the best way to avoid embarrassment is to either:

a) convince yourself that you are better than other people and thus deserve to be up front, or
b) actually BE better than other people and thus deserve to be up front

It makes the whole process so much easier. Especially when you have push people out of the way to get to your designated check-in desk, boarding queue, security lane etc. If you treat them as equivalent human beings to yourself the whole process gets embarrassing ....

And if you have an issue with people looking at you, NEVER EVER book a LH First Class redemption. The look on the faces of the fellow passengers when a Porsche pulls up at the steps of the plane and a guy gets out holdings a board with your name on it, ready to whisk you and you alone off to the First Class Lounge whilst your fellow pax have to pile onto a bus, beats anything you will get in the front row of CE ....

Even worse (or better) is when you board a LH long-haul flight in F. They drive you across to the plane, and then ask you if they should stop the entire boarding of the plane so that you can get on, or if you want to wander to the back of the boarding queue. Choose the immediate boarding option and fellow pax will be held back whilst you board, with any hand luggage carried by a LH flunky who follows you up the stairs (assuming its a 747) and stows it away for you. Again, not for the easily embarrassed.
I must fall into one of those two classes. I never get bad looks with the LH F treatment that you describe. And I flew CE today, LHR-LYS and I was first on board (just good timing arriving from the F lounge). Although you aren't really facing people from 1A, I did look over from time to time and did not see a single dirty look. Nor did I hear a remark, in French or English. Maybe the French just aren't ones to criticize someone sitting in CE? Or perhaps, just A or B above apply to me?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I did get an evil glare the last time I was in CE. But then again, I was on my way to a trade show at FRA and it was from my loathed former employer who was shuffling down to the back. Made me all happy inside (or was that the champagne??).
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, ICH Platinum, SPG Gold
I usual content myself with knowing that if those that sneer (TTS) spent about 40 hours a month in a plane, they'd understand that they shouldn't.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 4:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by David-A
One of the many reason to board later if you flying CE.
Quite why there are some people desparate to get on ASAP baffles me.
Never mind the evil glares. I really don't like it if I am sitting in the aisle seat up the front and people with a backpack carelessly stick it in my face. Worse than an evil glare.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Yokel
Hoping we can get a repeat of that this Sunday, when Mme. F & I have our first experience of CE, also LHR-IST.
It is a few years since I have flown CE and have had patchy experiences in the past. After all the negative comments on this board about BA sliding downhill I was expecting the worst, but both flights were very pleasant.

The lounge out of IST is pretty basic.

Hope you have a great time in Istanbul - we totally fell in love with it and the people were really nice too.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Never mind the evil glares. I really don't like it if I am sitting in the aisle seat up the front and people with a backpack carelessly stick it in my face. Worse than an evil glare.
+1 ^
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Pandor
So if you're travelling in LH F, you get chauffeured all the way to the aircraft? If yes, are there any other airlines that offer this and is this service only available at the airline's hub?
AF La Premiere at CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.