Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:09 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
It is tough when there are so many great crew, whether posting on this board or serving us in the air and on the ground. But it does amaze me that apparently sane, intelligent individuals are led by the nose to the edge of destruction by trades unions. Just look at the posties; generally liked and held in high regard but acting like turkeys voting for Christmas. Surely the unions have had their day in the modern UK?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I wonder if the OP has just listened to O'Liary giving WW the benefit of his advice on the BBC this morning.

His most constructive suggestion is for BA staff to buy their own food.

The comment about attractive staff is utterly irrelevant.

Many of us have suffered during the recession, i'm lucky that i'm still employed and have had a pay freeze for the last 18 months. Perks have also been reduced or eliminated.

I find it hard to believe that the BA staff wouldnt be preared to accept some pain to keep their job, i guess its all a matter of degree and as usual the union is putting its foot down.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:26 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Bar Operator
Subjective.
I believe it's the opposite - BA crew realise how good their terms are, and therefore will fight tooth and nail to keep them.

It doesn't help that old-contract crew (and a lot of crew that have been working 7+ years) would face a shocking drop in salary and lifestyle/days off/annual leave if they had to leave and find a 'regular' job; many don't have the qualifications or are too old to find anything that could begin to match the generous terms they currently enjoy; mortages and lifestyles have been built around current terms and pay ... so it's not surprising crew who see their job as a career are concerned.

Although the company would argue that no one's pay will be affected, the reality is that any future promotions/fleet transfers will be dependent on signing new contracts; any future workforce will work to market rate pay + 10%, and the fear is that eventually, all work/routes will be transferred to this new operation = current staff will be left with no work/no choice but to move to new fleet.

I can see both sides of the argument; those are the choices BA staff are being asked to make - change or move on.

Of course, this has been the reality at Gatwick for a couple of years now.
It does seem to be an unwinnable war.

I can see that BA will struggle to compete with the current practices in place but at the same time completely understand why the crew do not want to give up what they have become accustomed to.

Hence strike, strife and more strife and a genuine chance of oblivion, that I think crew have to chance to uphold their standard of living.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

We had three threads running concurrently relating to the threat of industrial actions. These have been now been merged together.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by squeeler
Just look at the posties; generally liked and held in high regard but acting like turkeys voting for Christmas. Surely the unions have had their day in the modern UK?
Really? The majority of folk I know think they're thieving, lazy scum bags!

Personally I've never had a bad one, or any problems at all bar the wrong letter getting delivered and a forced trek to the post box to repost it, I really don't think they have a good reputation at all, in general any more.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Really? The majority of folk I know think they're thieving, lazy scum bags!.
Ooh... heck! Don't mince your words there will you!

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
His most constructive suggestion is for BA staff to buy their own food.
On Short Haul, the vast majority of flights, we have to. We do not get crew food on most of our flights.

Originally Posted by 747-444
They all want a pay rise when things are going well and seem to be reluctant to help out/hand back when things are going badly.
No, not all, as you imply. I am happy to have a pay freeze.

They are not as pretty as the Singapore Girls - they are not as compatent and friendly as the middle eastern carriers and yet some how believe they are gods sent gift to flight attendants.
Because of course, you are a super model...
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

Because of course, you are a super model...
My competitors in the line of work I am in do not advertise their product/service as good looking with sexy people.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
My competitors in the line of work I am in do not advertise their product/service as good looking with sexy people.
Well, actually, I don't give a toss what the cabin crew look like as long as they're clean and tidy. I'm just as happy with the 'Mumsy' type cabin crew as anyone else provided they can do the job.

I also note that one of the things BA want to do is cut a member of cabin crew from longhaul flights. In case this need clarification that means a lowering of service levels on the flights for paying customers. It cannot mean anything else.

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:39 am

Are you seriously stating that people book airlines due to the attractiveness of the cabin crew?!?!

I can't remember a singly airline that has built itself around the attractiveness of its crew and its definitely not something that BA do. They may well perhaps use good looking actors in adverts, so do Tesco and I can't say that they have a significantly more attractive staff compliment than Sainsbury's or Asda!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:20 am

I also note that one of the things BA want to do is cut a member of cabin crew from longhaul flights. In case this need clarification that means a lowering of service levels on the flights for paying customers. It cannot mean anything else.
Well maybe not. The CSD at the moment is not part of the service and floats - "managing" the service. The changes mean that one purser will come off the aircraft and the CSD will become part of the service. Now to many this will mean no change at all but to others it will mean the CSD getting out of the cubby hole, and doing something other than watching movies. Ultimately it is quite possible it will lead to a more consistent service.

Either way it is up to BA to determine the crewing levels and service that they wish to be delivered, the customers can then decide to travel with them or to move their business elsewhere. It is not the place of any union to dictate to their employer what service is to be delivered as has been the case in BA - hot towels in WT+ anyone?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Well, fingers crossed. I have decided to gamble on there not being a strike and support BA. Have just booked 2 x J LHR - DOH over Xmas. Hope I will get there!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Well maybe not. The CSD at the moment is not part of the service and floats - "managing" the service. The changes mean that one purser will come off the aircraft and the CSD will become part of the service. Now to many this will mean no change at all but to others it will mean the CSD getting out of the cubby hole, and doing something other than watching movies. Ultimately it is quite possible it will lead to a more consistent service.
Do you really believe that ? If so I have a bridge I can sell you at a very reasonable price...

I'm also curious as to how you know it's a PURSER that is being removed ? Inside information perhaps ? And only 4 posts to your name...

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Either way it is up to BA to determine the crewing levels and service that they wish to be delivered, the customers can then decide to travel with them or to move their business elsewhere. It is not the place of any union to dictate to their employer what service is to be delivered as has been the case in BA - hot towels in WT+ anyone?
It may not be the place of the Union, but given that BA refuse to listen to their staff at all, even when said staff tell them that they're making mistakes, and even when they subsequently reverse silly decisions (Club Europe seating anyone ?) I suppose the staff are feeling totally demoralised and fed up to the back teeth. In all honesty I'm surprised they have many staff left...

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Are you seriously stating that people book airlines due to the attractiveness of the cabin crew?!?!
Probably some do.

I can't remember a singly airline that has built itself around the attractiveness of its crew...
I am sure some airlines do, if in an understated way, and it was certainly more prevalent in days gone by.

One recent example I would think was Hooters Air that oprerated between 2003 and 2006. Its quick demise may lead us to conclude that most people do not book their flights based indeed on the attractiveness of the cabin crew, but I have not really studied what actually caused them to go belly up.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
This infographic gives an interesting perspective on the impact of staff cost saving on airline profitability:

No idea as to the quality of the source, though.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by economyman
One recent example I would think was Hooters Air ... but I have not really studied what actually caused them to go belly up.
T1ts up, surely ?

BAH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.