Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Tilly123
Actually, they refer to it as 33% and no they don't work as you are telling me they do! maybe your facts are not right and please don't be so nasty.
So they're on a '33% contract' and get over £100K ? That by my reckoning means they would get £300K+ on a full time contract.
Wouldn't they be better off doing more hours for BA than doing this additional job ?
Unless of course the additional job pays better
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:50 am

Hammy its not the £100k pilot that works 33%, its one who is cabin crew.

Both have additional jobs as they get so much time off. Even the full time pilot. He tends to go to work on a Friday night be back home Sunday and have the rest of the week to himself,
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by srbrenna
The Post office has been raped and pillaged in the same way as the buses were 15-odd years ago. Any private firm will cherry pick the profitable parts of the business. Other postal firms are interested in the high value corporate and metropolitan post. They are not interested in delivering letters to Joe in the back of beyond for 32p. Likewise private bus companies are loving the fact that they can operate the high value routes in the cities but are not interested in delivering Mavis to her home in the country. If we as a nation wants to preserve these services then they need subsidy. It all depends on the sort of society we want to live in.
I totally agree with this part of your post.

I for one do NOT want to live in a society where the overall driving factor is always cost and profit. It seems, however, we're being given increasingly little choice.

There are other, far more important things in life.

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:58 am

Hammy its not the £100k pilot that works 33%, its one who is cabin crew.

Both have additional jobs as they get so much time off. Even the full time pilot. He tends to go to work on a Friday night be back home Sunday and have the rest of the week to himself,
The pilot is probably on the "Friday Night to Sunday Afternoon (except Public Holidays) " contract.
These people ,you know, must be fairly vulgar as it's not normal to discuss your salary with all and sundry.

Last edited by hammythehammer; Nov 2, 2009 at 8:07 am
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I totally agree with this part of your post.

I for one do NOT want to live in a society where the overall driving factor is always cost and profit. It seems, however, we're being given increasingly little choice.

There are other, far more important things in life.

BAH
^^^^^^^
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
I'm puzzled why such highly paid people need additional jobs.
Because they want more money (and have some time available), I imagine.

£100k pa, quite a good wage by most standards, still doesn't seem to go very far (especially after the tax man has stolen a huge proportion of it).
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Actually, they refer to it as 33% and no they don't work as you are telling me they do! maybe your facts are not right and please don't be so nasty.
Yes, there are 33% contracts, which are a very small minority of the part time workers. And even with that, it still equates to more than 5 or 6 days every 2 months... basic maths really.

And yes, 50% contract crew can and do work one month on and one month off.

If we want to talk about being nasty, maybe you need to re-read and edit your original quoted post and consider how that sounds before accusing me of it.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by dmahon
£100k pa, quite a good wage by most standards, still doesn't seem to go very far (especially after the tax man has stolen a huge proportion of it).
It would go a whole lot further than a BA employee earning £20K pa .
Maybe that's why we end up with such polarised views on this issue on here.

How many people on here have made wholesale sacrifices to their terms and conditions of employment?
Which companies / organisations can really 'afford' to let their employees travel in anything higher than WT+ on daytime flights and ET at any time ?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
... dishing out '' chicken or beef ''
And therein lies, the problem. They need to open up the options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JMZj0YFmY

(warning, contains adult humour)
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by dmahon
Because they want more money (and have some time available), I imagine.

Surely a £100k after tax is in or around the £60k mark? That is not enough???
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:51 am

£100,000 is ... £65,310.40

But the cost of living is a fair bit higher since you have to pick up the entire cost of every bill yourself.

Last edited by UnoriginalGuy; Nov 2, 2009 at 8:54 am Reason: edit
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by UnoriginalGuy
£100,000 is ... £65,310.40

But the cost of living is a fair bit higher since you have to pick up the entire cost of every bill yourself.

Emm so do I, and I earn considerably less than that!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
And therein lies, the problem. They need to open up the options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JMZj0YFmY

(warning, contains adult humour)

Love it!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Dear Tilly123

Without wishing to be rude, I would love to know who where you get your facts from, as far as I know even the Daily Mail is more accurate than your sources

For information the contract types are 33% 50% and 75%, and the working time is exactly that. If you are 50% you work 50% of the time and get paid 50% of the salary.

Nobody at BA would be earning £100,000 unless they were a senior Manager or Captain. (and I would say that only the most senior Captains would be earning that amount).

Cabin crew in my experience do not just throw out Chicken or Beef. They undergo thorough training in Medical emergencies, and can throw YOU out of a 747 when needed. They are qualified firefighters, and can restrain disruptive customers when needed.

I would suggest you check out some you tube movies, type in Phoenix evacuation, and BA038 as just two examples of where BA crew have performed incredibly well, and where they have saved lives.

I would urge you also to look at the REAL figures.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:20 am

Exclamation

Can we please take a step back from some of the rather emotive posting above? Appreciating this is a very sensitive topic to all concerned, whether BA staff, passengers, shareholders or the man on the Clapham Omnibus, it still doesn't warrant an outbreak of personal attacks etc.

We'd rather not have to lock this, since the topic at hand is particularly relevant, but if the level of discussions doesn't move back towards civility, I'm not sure what choice we have.

Anyone in search of what is/isn't acceptable will fiind Flyertalk's Terms of Service here.

Cheers,

Shuttle-Bored

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.