Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:34 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I'd like to ... my plea to everybody to think twice before posting, as it so easy to upset others when it comes to issues like these.

It is a worthy thread, but it will only remain so, if we try to stick to facts and try to be nice to oneanother.

There are a lot of posts wondering which dates are safe or unsafe, as to flying with BA.

The answer is, that nobody knows, as there is only a strike ballot called and no dates will be announced until this ballot has been held.

The earliest we can expect a result of a ballot, is within the next few weeks and if the ballot is in favour of a strike, then they have to give atleast a weeks notice.

There is always a possibility of an agreement beeing reached, or discussions gaining momentum, or a legal challange, which could further put off a possible strike.

With other words, it is much to soon to start speculating about possible strike dates.

bjorns
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by UnoriginalGuy
£100,000 is ... £65,310.40

But the cost of living is a fair bit higher since you have to pick up the entire cost of every bill yourself.
Unfortunately, BA do not pay my rent of council tax on top of my salary...
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
My advice would be to book the flights you want.

At this moment the strike action is not certain.

If you have travel insurance in place then I would think it extremely unlikely you wouldn't be home in time for Christmas. Even assuming you got another carrier home to LHR there would be numerous options to get you up to Manchester in good time.

BAH
I'm not sure that is the best advice. IF (and I know it's an if) there is a strike starting 21st, there will only be a week's notice = and re-booking could be next to impossible on certain routes pre-xmas.

I wouldn't take the risk, especially if I hadn't booked yet - and if I was on a ticket without a severe penalty - I'd be looking at re-booking elsewhere.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case - the union should be ashamed for playing poker with people's christmas holidays. They should announce now that any action will be after xmas.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by irmster
and re-booking could be next to impossible on certain routes pre-xmas.
It's New York...

If it were me I wouldn't change my ticket - I think people get ridiculously namby-pamby about this sort of thing. I also concur with Jenbel's sensible post subsequent to yours.

I give it less than a week before we get people asking what compensation they can expect in the event of being rebooked in case there is a strike that might affect their route.

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by ag51
Isn't that exactly what the current VS television advert is trying to do?
And it turned me off or I turned it off depending on how you want to look at it.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Previous discussion on existing travel bookings/re-booking/re-routing options and how you think you might be affected in the event any strike goes ahead has been moved into it's own dedicated thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ou-taking.html as the news of strike action pans out.

General discussion of industrial action, news updates and the general state of the nation may continue here.

Thanks for your patience.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 2, 2009 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Surely a £100k after tax is in or around the £60k mark? That is not enough???
No. Until you get to really serious money, it's never enough.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:29 pm

What the Times said in June about pay, for those of you that shot me down saying they can't be earning that much!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6466748.ece
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by dmahon
No. Until you get to really serious money, it's never enough.
And therein lies the problem.

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tilly123
What the Times said in June about pay, for those of you that shot me down saying they can't be earning that much!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6466748.ece
Yes, and it explains that Pilots earn in excess of £100k... we were, and still are, discussing Cabin Crew, to whom the article credits an average of £29,000. Of which around half the crew employed by BA, on new, post 1997 contracts do NOT earn.

If I were more brazen, I would post my take home salary for the last few months, and you could see a real salary for a full time short haul crew member.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
This is the problem though BingBongBoy, isn't it? That there are a small minority of crew who are raking it in for sitting in an office putting video cassettes into players, refusing to help out with the service, treating the passengers with contempt and spending their entire time shuttling to NRT thanks to 'a friend in scheduling.'

Meanwhile hard-working SH crew on recent contracts, and your colleagues at LGW, are expendable in order to keep this community feather-bedded.

Is it true that the head of BASSA is a part time CSD who commutes from LAX? Figures.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
we were, and still are, discussing Cabin Crew, to whom the article credits an average of £29,000. Of which around half the crew employed by BA, on new, post 1997 contracts do NOT earn.
And presumably the other half earn more than £29,000. And, it seems to me, the main thrust of BA's cuts is to reduce the better paid half back, rather than affect those on lower pay?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
This is the problem though BingBongBoy, isn't it? That there are a small minority of crew who are raking it in for sitting in an office putting video cassettes into players, refusing to help out with the service, treating the passengers with contempt and spending their entire time shuttling to NRT thanks to 'a friend in scheduling.'

Meanwhile hard-working SH crew on recent contracts, and your colleagues at LGW, are expendable in order to keep this community feather-bedded.

Is it true that the head of BASSA is a part time CSD who commutes from LAX? Figures.
Indeed... you have some very valid points... and I applaud you for saying so...

However people on here seem to just be lumping everyone together, putting us all in the same boat as the "raking it in and doing no work" party... when we are not. Yet they wonder why we get defensive or annoyed at the implication of earning a fortune for 5 o 6 days work every 2 months or such rubbish...

Many of us do grasp the financial situation of the company, and I am happy to have a pay freeze. I do not want a pay rise, and can cope with that for a few years.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
... Cabin Crew, to whom the article credits an average of £29,000.
The article quotes CAA figures. The problem with averages is just that, they are averages. If you and others are earning significantly less, then others are potentially earning considerably more.
... my take home salary ...
No, please don't. And 'take home' is irrelevant assuming everybody pays tax. Of course, if you have your very own Lord Ashcroft on cabin duty, that would steer things another way.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimcbob
And presumably the other half earn more than £29,000. And, it seems to me, the main thrust of BA's cuts is to reduce the better paid half back, rather than affect those on lower pay?
No. The changes will be applied to all current crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.