Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Possible BA strike over Christmas: what action (if any) will you be taking?

Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Moderator note
The discussion here was originally posted in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ere-we-go.html thread but as it relates to our member's personal travel plans we thought it deserved a dedicated thread.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
19:20 GMT 02 November 2009

I suppose it was inevitable. Although I have 3 trips booked with BA between November and January, I'm probably on the crews' side. Seeing some of the CE and Club World, not to mention economy cuts recently, I think Mr Walsh and his team have become greedy. They are imposing a low cost service on board, but still want the same fares.

Please take away that bird seed offering on short flights and bring down the actual fare. If I pay a premium in Club Europe, offer me the FULL service!

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 2, 2009 at 12:23 pm Reason: added mod note to the top of traveller5's post
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Irrespective of the rights and wrongs, the share price which had recently struggling back to some kind of reasonable level has dipped by nearly 4% today. This is against a slight rise in the FTSE 100 index. Can't see how this will benefit anybody in the current climate.

I am also generally very loyal to BA but a few weeks ago took the plunge to move all of my weekly domestic flights away from BA. In my experience so far, the BMI crews have been fewer in number but very positive, pleasant and fun. I see no reason to go back which is a shame..

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Oct 26, 2009 at 7:10 am
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
The trouble is that just the mention of a strike will affect future bookings. I am looking for 2 x J to DOH. Can I book BA safely? The last time that a strike was averted at the last minute it still cost a lot of money.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have stacks of flights booked on BA until January (the only 'clear' period is over Christmas as we have friends coming over to stay with us).

I have back-up options that I can put to use almost immediately if I have to, but I sincerely hope I don't need to, for the sake of BA, those who are considering the strike, and for myself.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Just don't strike on Dec 25th....
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:02 pm
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
Please, let's not go down this road. Not now.
I and my Company fly BA a lot. BA are my preferred carrier. I book my staff on BA. I have a hard enough time justifying my travel to clients at the best of times when I can fly cheaper alternates like LH and AC. I like the product, I like the airline. The crew, in my opinion, are amongst the most professional in the skies. The last thing we need now, especially when looking at travel budget, is another reason for us to travel on alternative carriers. Let's see sense and not make this the straw that breaks the camel's back. Please.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:51 am

This is what I get for booking BA over x-mas. If they go on strike around that time getting another ticket will be an absolute nightmare. Plus I will lose a bunch of other "impossible to refund" hotel bookings and such.

If I was booking my flight right now I certainly wouldn't even consider BA. I hope the union announces the date soon or else risk almost no bookings for the next three months.

If they announce a strike on the day of my trip I'm going to call VISA and see if they can refund the transaction before everyone else pulls out and they go belly up.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by UnoriginalGuy
This is what I get for booking BA over x-mas. If they go on strike around that time getting another ticket will be an absolute nightmare. Plus I will lose a bunch of other "impossible to refund" hotel bookings and such.

If I was booking my flight right now I certainly wouldn't even consider BA. I hope the union announces the date soon or else risk almost no bookings for the next three months.

If they announce a strike on the day of my trip I'm going to call VISA and see if they can refund the transaction before everyone else pulls out and they go belly up.
I had a ticket to HKG on the dates of the last "strike" and BA offered to rebook these at a later date. This was the end of Jan so a couple of weeks delay wouldn't have hurt as it was a leisure trip. Xmas will be another matter entirely. Does anyone know if BA would endorse your ticket over to another airline?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
I had a ticket to HKG on the dates of the last "strike" and BA offered to rebook these at a later date. This was the end of Jan so a couple of weeks delay wouldn't have hurt as it was a leisure trip. Xmas will be another matter entirely. Does anyone know if BA would endorse your ticket over to another airline?
I've never heard of an airline paying for you to fly with another airline (excluding codeshare etc).

If the strike happens over christmas people will be mad. There will be no sympathy for the union at all.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:04 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Does anyone know if BA would endorse your ticket over to another airline?
Will the capacity be there to do so, even if they would? A quick check of TATL loads the week before Xmas already show pretty full planes.

I can't imagine they would strike in the actual run up to Xmas, this would be absolutely horrific PR for the Union, the telly and papers would be covered with images of school kids not being able to get home, families split up forced to stay in hotels etc etc..., it would be a massive backfire that would see people lose any sympathy that they may have for the cabin crew.

Calder's Article in the independent suggests that action in early December is more likely, which will have much less of a negative PR impact and also obviously less of a business impact, whilst still allowing the Union to get their point across.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
The trouble with rebooking at a later date is that you still lose non-refundable hotel rooms (and in my case NYE in Vegas).

The worst I thought could happen when I booked my trip was having to argue with my boss to get time off over Christmas and New Year. I'm going to sit tight and watch the outcome of the ongoing discussions as there's no point getting too worked up over the current speculation.

It's a slightly different proposition if they stranded me in Vegas
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
I'm happy to book BA for Christmas ^

I know that, barring leaves on the runway at LHR, they will get me out and back no problem

I don't think there'll be any strike

(there doesn't appear to be any icon for sticking your neck out)
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Squirrel99uk
I'm happy to book BA for Christmas ^

I know that, barring leaves on the runway at LHR, they will get me out and back no problem

I don't think there'll be any strike

(there doesn't appear to be any icon for sticking your neck out)
You know if there is and you get caught up in it, we'll find this post and quote it at you
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
Originally Posted by Jenbel
You know if there is and you get caught up in it, we'll find this post and quote it at you
Caught up in what ?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Where would I stand if the strike did hit over christmas, and I wasn't able to fly out on my BA Holidays booked trip to Sharm on boxing day? Would I be refunded? Rebooked?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.