Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Who represent both BASSA and CC89
Which was what I was wondering - if it was both unions, or only one of them.

I should have made my question more clear by saying I'd already seen it was Unite on the BBC article
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
In other words

"I'm alright Jack" ?

BAH
Pretty much yes.

Whilst I'd love for everyone to be hunky dory and makes lots of money, when it comes down to it, for me this strike is about whether or not my wife will be able to get home at Xmas to see her family she will not have seen for 14 months.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Pretty much yes.

Whilst I'd love for everyone to be hunky dory and makes lots of money, when it comes down to it, for me this strike is about whether or not my wife will be able to get home at Xmas to see her family she will not have seen for 14 months.
You are honest, at least ^

But you and I will have to agree to differ as I do not care for the "I'm alright Jack" philosophy.

BAH
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Pretty much yes.

Unfortunately though, there'd be no date the union could pick that didn't affect someone.
If it affects no one other than the people taking strike action it would be completely pointless.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold

But you and I will have to agree to differ as I do not care for the "I'm alright Jack" philosophy.

BAH
Not sure I get the argument here. If the strike goes ahead its cetainly not for my benefit.

Isn't it the union members trying to ensure "I'm alright Jack" ? I am not arguing either way here, just pointing out that ultimately everyone wants what is best for themselves.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

BAH
I agree with everything you've written regarding strike actions and unions, I was just stating that most folk are going to care more about the implications to them, rather than people they do not know, especially when they have spent hundreds if not thousands of pounds on a product that may not be delivered.

If the CC believe they need to strike, I will not hold it against them personally, I do not pretend to know nearly enough to have an opinion on the justification for such actions, I just hope it wont affect flights on the 22nd of December, many others will be hoping it doesn't affect them, its only natural.

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Oct 26, 2009 at 10:53 am
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by florida2000
...just pointing out that ultimately everyone wants what is best for themselves.
Speak for yourself.

If I can see that something is better for people collectively than myself (and I've done this at work) then I'm usually willing to take the hit (as it were) and do what's best for the majority. Not always as it doesn't do to let people think you're a soft touch !

The point I'm making, to go back on topic, is that berating people for looking out for themselves because it affects you adversely (ie you are looking out for yourself) is both illogical and selfish.

BAH
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
The point I'm making, to go back on topic, is that berating people for looking out for themselves because it affects you adversely (ie you are looking out for yourself) is both illogical and selfish
So what we have is two sides (pax and CC) both looking out for themselves because it affects them adversely. Can we conclude that they are both illogical and selfish?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:50 am

So what we have is two sides (pax and CC) both looking out for themselves because it affects them adversely. Can we conclude that they are both illogical and selfish?
No. Go and read what I wrote.

I said berating someone for doing precisely what YOU are doing is illogical and selfish.

Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Bring back Maggie - she'd sort them out. ^
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Speak for yourself.

If I can see that something is better for people collectively than myself (and I've done this at work) then I'm usually willing to take the hit (as it were) and do what's best for the majority. Not always as it doesn't do to let people think you're a soft touch !

The point I'm making, to go back on topic, is that berating people for looking out for themselves because it affects you adversely (ie you are looking out for yourself) is both illogical and selfish.

BAH
Without wishing to put words into anyone else's mouth, I can't see that the BA staff are being berated anywhere, just the apparent stance of the unions involved.

In either case, customers with a choice will either choose to put future business elsewhere to avoid being hit by a strike on their planned date of travel, or they will be forced to do so by having their flights cancelled due to the strike. This isn't illogical or selfish, purely necessary.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
If the pax would conduct a 3 day strike (e.g. stop buying BA tickets) the consequences would be that the company would suffer so much (financially) that even more cc would probably lose their job. BA might even go belly up if we did that.

So, I propose we all strike if the unions go ahead with theirs. Next the staff can go pick up their unemployment beenefits and BA can restart under a different name. The customers will benefit most from this scenario since this is the absolute best way for BA to bring their cost down.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
No. Go and read what I wrote.

I said berating someone for doing precisely what YOU are doing is illogical and selfish.

Just trying to see both sides of the argument. For example, I have every sympathy with the CC and the position that they are in. We all know on this board that they do a great job but I can also see things from the passenger point of view. You will have to accept that there will be a lot of pax out there for whom this won't be welcome. Both sides will not come out well if there is a strike.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
In either case, customers with a choice will either choose to put future business elsewhere to avoid being hit by a strike on their planned date of travel, or they will be forced to do so by having their flights cancelled due to the strike. This isn't illogical or selfish, purely necessary.
Agreed. And I said as much in a previous post.

BAH
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:00 am

Just trying to see both sides of the argument. For example, I have every sympathy with the CC and the position that they are in. We all know on this board that they do a great job but I can also see things from the passenger point of view. You will have to accept that there will be a lot of pax out there for whom this won't be welcome. Both sides will not come out well if there is a strike.
Aha - we have a winner ! @:-) @:-)

I totally agree with this. Strikes always have all sorts of fall-out - let's face it, that's why Unions use them as a bargaining tool.

BAH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.