Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Chapter 11 is a US bankruptcy system which doesn't, to my knowledge, have an equivalent over here. European workers have much stronger employment rights than US workers.
If you're looking for a UK equivalent - how about the union helps drives BA bankrupt, the govt. refuses to bail BA out, and the gap is filled by Ryanair & it's ilk, and the jobs are all taken by Latvian 21 yr old's who paid for their training? I don't think the public will be too upset by this scenario these days. Far, far less so than the Royal Mail collapsing.

Last edited by tristan727; Nov 2, 2009 at 6:26 am
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:26 am

This just been posted on PPrune, a quote from one of BASSAs senior reps at todays meeting

The best way forward NOT to go on strike is to vote YES on the ballot.
Not much hope with logic like that.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Being announced that the ballot outcome will be reported on 14 December, see http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus..._Strike_Action

That would mean strikes starting between 21 December 2009 and 12 January 2010, i.e. the peak Christmas travel period.

Nice to see the cabin crew intend to cause maximum disruption to Christmas travel

Personally, if the cabin crew vote for a strike like that, I imagine that most of the travelling public will have no sympathy. Surely BASSA is running out of feet that it can shoot itself in?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by tristan727
It's hard to appreciate common sense sometimes, when a gun is being held to your head.
But that's what they're paid the big money for at the end of the day...

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
What's not to stick by - it is a matter of record that I have only posted 4 - now 5 times. Not sure why that is important. But keep on questioning my statements of fact and you just look silly. Question, by all means my opinions, they are after all only opinions.
I stood corrected - hopefully that would be enough for you but apparently not...and I don't 'keep on questioning your statements of fact'. I queried one, from a new poster.

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:36 am

I don't think the public will be too upset by this scenario these days. Far, far less so than the Royal Mail collapsing.
Compare like with like.

The public do have alternative choices to BA at broadly similar (or cheaper) costs.

The public do not have realistic alternatives to the Royal Mail. There are couriers and so on of course but which of them will deliver a letter anywhere within the UK for 32p ?

In my view the root cause of the Royal Mail's problems were the government selling off the profitable parts of the business that, effectively, subsidised the other parts.

Any organisation has profitable departments and departments that are a net cost. It's inevitable. Selling off the departments that make you money and then wondering why the company is going down the tubes is stupid at best...

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by jimcbob
Being announced that the ballot outcome will be reported on 14 December, see http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus..._Strike_Action

That would mean strikes starting between 21 December 2009 and 12 January 2010, i.e. the peak Christmas travel period.

Nice to see the cabin crew intend to cause maximum disruption to Christmas travel

Personally, if the cabin crew vote for a strike like that, I imagine that most of the travelling public will have no sympathy. Surely BASSA is running out of feet that it can shoot itself in?
Early Jan post schools restarting would be the perfect time I think, business is still often slow at the start of the year following breaks and bar Skiing traffic, I suspect post Xmas expense leisure travel is also low
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
But that's what they're paid the big money for at the end of the day...

BAH
They're business managers, not counter-revolutionaries.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Goody - I'm flying out on the 23rd

Surely BASSA is running out of feet that it can shoot itself in?
They can always try the head
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
In my view the root cause of the Royal Mail's problems were the government selling off the profitable parts of the business that, effectively, subsidised the other parts.

Any organisation has profitable departments and departments that are a net cost. It's inevitable. Selling off the departments that make you money and then wondering why the company is going down the tubes is stupid at best...

BAH
I'm not sure exactly why it would be clever to allow parts to remain subsidised without fixing the problem. I doubt very much they are 'wondering why it's going down the tubes' - they know the real reasons but they can't say it - like the fact trucks are allowed to run around empty, most of the sorting staff are allowed to do little work & watch tv half of the time, and hire their own family members rather than through genuine recruitment, etc. etc. You only have to pop down to claim a missed delivery to see the quality of the staff, and lack of mgmt. direction for your own eyes...none of the to attention, fixed smiles & 'how can I help you sir' stuff...they make you feel you're a major imposition (especially on, heaven forbid, a Saturday) on them through their glares & slow walks to the desk, and many have absolutely no sense of work clothing & washing/hygiene etiquette.

Last edited by tristan727; Nov 2, 2009 at 6:58 am
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm not sure exactly why it would be clever to allow parts to remain subsidised without fixing the problem. I doubt very much they are 'wondering why it's going down the tubes' - they know the real reasons but they can't say it - like the fact trucks are allowed to run around empty, most of the sorting staff are allowed to do little work & watch tv half of the time, and hire their own family members rather than through genuine recruitment, etc. etc. You only have to pop down to claim a missed delivery to see the quality of the staff, and lack of mgmt. direction for your own eyes...none of the to attention, fixed smiles & 'how can I help you sir' stuff...they make you feel you're a major imposition on them through their glares & slow walks to the desk, and many have absolutely no sense of work clothing & washing/hygiene etiquette.
Wow. Blatant lies, frankly. Nasty ones at that. What a depressing post.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:01 am

I'm not sure exactly why it would be clever to allow parts to remain subsidised without fixing the problem.
Obviously you need to have this spelled out.

Some parts of any business cannot generate revenue. It's just not possible.

Accounts departments, Human Resources, IT/Telecomms to name but three are all areas of any business which are a net cost. Nor can they generate income - it is not their raison d'être. So let's get rid of them - as per your suggestion. Oh, wait...

Is that clear enough ?

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by stut
Wow. Blatant lies, frankly. Nasty ones at that. What a depressing post.
I quite agree. The lady who delivers my post is lovely and the staff at my local post office perfectly efficient and pleasant.

BAH
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:08 am

They should be left to go bankrupt, but it would be the tax payer again coming to the rescue for another bunch of fat cats and their gold plated final salary pensions.

I know several people who work for BA, all rarely actually seem to work . 2 have other jobs as they get so much time off, one gets over £100k from BA before all the allowances the other works 5 or 6 days every 2 months and gets paid a ridiculous amount for dishing out '' chicken or beef ''

They need to have a complete pay and allowance overhaul from top to bottom and get in touch with the real world.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb

A strike during the Christmas period would be very painful. This is where near 100% of the travel is family related, not business.

I guess Dec 14 will be a key date and I assume there will be a rush to rebook tickets with other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.