Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Chase Visa Signature Card (USA) and Travel Together questions [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Chase Visa Signature Card (USA) and Travel Together questions [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
You seem to be overlooking that there are people who actually redeem awards in coach
Guilty. In general the cash price of economy tickets is too low to justify paying a credit card annual fee to earn miles.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
So, after looking this over, am I missing something or isn't this now far-and-away the most rewarding US credit card if you can swing the $30k/year spend, unless you're not interested in free travel with a companion on BA ...
Several years ago I switched most of my spending from the Delta AE card to the BA Visa card because of increasing frustration with Delta's frequent flyer program. I agree with zoosh's comment regarding the onerous taxes and fees on award ticket redemptions, but overall I am quite satisfied with my decision. Given my decision several months ago to cancel the Delta card and to swtich all of my spending to the BA Visa card, these latest enhancements come at a propitious time.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Of course if you go out and buy gift cards from grocery stores for stores, restaurants or gas and use or resell them you are getting 5 miles per dollar in addition to the spend so $30K = 150,000 Miles plus a companion ticket.
JudyJFLA

Originally Posted by mia
The 241 certificate effectively doubles the value of miles earned from any source, including miles you already hold ^. (Capped at the mileage value of the most expensive reward you would redeem.)

Comparisons to other cards are complicated because you cannot earn sufficient miles for a meaningful award merely by spending $30,000. 30,000 x 1.25 = only 37,500; you would need $80,000 general spending to earn 100,000 miles. However, if you also earn miles by flying, shopping, or through other cards the amount you need to spend on this card is reduced.

I would not spend more than $30,000 per year on this card. You could pair it with the Amazon VISA (also issued by Chase) which earns points redeemable 1:1 (in blocks of 5,000) for BA Miles. This card is free and earns 3 per dollar at Amazon.com, and 2 per dollar at dining, drugstores, and gasoline stations. I would not use the BA VISA for those categories, unless the $30,000 annual spend were a problem.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:55 pm

Tesco Crosses the Big Pond!

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Of course if you go out and buy gift cards from grocery stores for stores, restaurants or gas and use or resell them you are getting 5 miles per dollar in addition to the spend so $30K = 150,000 Miles plus a companion ticket.
JudyJFLA
It looks like the TESCO concept has finally crossed the "Big Pond" and made it to the 'New World'! ^^

I actually never thought of buying grocery store/supermarket gift cards, at the promotional 5 miles to 1 dollar ratio...and then turning around to re-sell
the gift card(s) to recoup the dollar outlay.

I wonder if I can audition to be the Yank version of Biscuit Boy!

Will have to give it some thought

"zoosh"
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hilton diamond, Marriott plat for life , BA silver, Hertz prez circle, Etihad Gold
What about mfu....using voucher....

would this voucher allow you to do the following

buy 1 wtp or club ticket , use the voucher and then use miles to upgrade......

maybe a little too greedy, but a clarification would help immensely.

thanks
rjw
Old Oct 23, 2009, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by RAJWADIA
would this voucher allow you to do the following

buy 1 wtp or club ticket , use the voucher and then use miles to upgrade......

maybe a little too greedy, but a clarification would help immensely.

thanks
rjw
I believe that the 2 4 1 Voucher is only applicable to a straight mileage booking; effectively doubling the value of one's Executive Club mileage.
I do not think that you can use the 2 4 1 Voucher for a straight cash revenue booking or a revenue ticket upgraded with a MFU.

I am not the expert....perhaps Dilly will check back in to this thread in a couple of days.

"zoosh"
Old Oct 23, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hilton diamond, Marriott plat for life , BA silver, Hertz prez circle, Etihad Gold
zoosh
i think u are right, upon reading it again, it does say that its for mileage redemptions, which still is very very good.

just called chase, and they have the info online since she told me you have crossed the threshold and will get the voucher after the 1st of the year.

fantastic.....

Originally Posted by zoosh
I believe that the 2 4 1 Voucher is only applicable to a straight mileage booking; effectively doubling the value of one's Executive Club mileage.
I do not think that you can use the 2 4 1 Voucher for a straight cash revenue booking or a revenue ticket upgraded with a MFU.

I am not the expert....perhaps Dilly will check back in to this thread in a couple of days.

"zoosh"

Last edited by RAJWADIA; Oct 23, 2009 at 2:22 pm Reason: spelling.....
Old Oct 23, 2009, 2:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Not a permanent feature of the card

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
....if you go out and buy gift cards from grocery stores for stores, restaurants or gas and use or resell them you are getting 5 miles per dollar ...
Only until the end of December 2009, capped, and perhaps targetted ...

Originally Posted by Vegas
5 x BA miles for all BA purchases, gas, groceries and dining. Offer good from 10/01 through 12/31 with a max of 12,500 bonus miles....
Old Oct 23, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by mia
Only until the end of December 2009, capped, and perhaps targetted ...

So what do I find in my inbox tonight!

PlasticJungle.com is raising the amount for buying gift cards for cash or amazon card exchange. For example if you bought that Target gift card at the grocery you would get 250 miles for the $50 card, then selling it for cash $45 = .02 per mile or exchange for an Amazon card $47.25 = .011 per mile Not super great, but ok if you need to top an award.

Also why is that fuel charge so darn high on the award tix? Geeze, Just when I think I can get that dream trip to Africa the tax and fuel is over $900!! EACH!! The fuel portion is $150 - $200 depending on class.
JudyJFLA
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:03 am

awesome deal ^
i'll be waiting for my voucher in January
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:29 pm

Hi Dilly,

Have sent you a PM with some specifics....

Can you pls advise booking class code for the vouchers....Are they
the same as the class codes and availability for milage awards?

All the best,
JDR
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:47 pm

When does earning start

Forgive me if this has been covered but has it been clarified when they begin counting charges towards the new program?

Some posters seem to be sure there's a look back to Jan 1 but I'm not sure where they are getting that from.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Some posters seem to be sure there's a look back to Jan 1 but I'm not sure where they are getting that from.
Originally Posted by ba.com helper
We are pleased to let you know that BA and Chase will reward loyal card members with a redemption voucher for a companion ticket on 2009 spend even though the new benefits take effect on November 12, 2009.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:31 am

Thanks. I missed that. Must be getting old.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:15 am

Sorry to belabor, but I'm struggling with the timing of a couple charges based on the $30k target for the MOGO ticket.

I read it as a discrete Jan 1 calendar year measurement point. But when I called Chase, the rep insisted that it's a "cardholder year" (when did you get your card?). When I asked him for a paper or printable reference to this, he told me to use the "recorded conversation" function as my guarantee.

I'd rather delay a couple of charges until after the first of the year if it threatens my eligibility, but it will cost more for the charges. Do I trust his guarantee?

Maybe the helpful BA rep can provide further guidance..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.