Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Is Luftwaffe's Frequent Traveller a *G or *S
The Luftwaffe of which country are you referring to?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
FTL = *S VC10 Boy

(well, at least I think thats what the nice friendly site said. I Could be going more odd than normal)

Lets start the hunt for *A programs that welcome cheapskates

and MCS?... I'll get the "Keep BMI my BMI" Banners ready (I'm sure the DL supporters won't notice if we borrow them and paint BMI logos over them...)

Last edited by Kevincm; Dec 13, 2007 at 7:31 am Reason: ...added the "Keep BMI my BMI" slogan on...
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Kevincm
FTL = *S
Yes, but note that FTL is pretty useful when flying M&M airlines - it gives quite a few perks.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Yes, but note that FTL is pretty useful when flying M&M airlines - it gives quite a few perks.
Which perks? Thanks, I am curious.

Question for the board, somewhat related to this:

Next year my Dad will begin a lot of heavy flying with QR (Qatar Airways), 3x year, in Business Class. After lurking in this forum and with my own research, I was prepared to recommend to him:

- Do a status match from his Delta Platinum Medallion to BD *Gold
- Earn all of his QR flights with the BD Diamond Club program
- 200% mileage in Biz, 300% in First
- Miles + cash awards are the key highlight of the BD program

The only down side I see to flying QR and earning with BD is that he wouldn't earn status miles for flying QR.

Does this merger talk change the approach I should recommend to him? The only other Star Alliance partners I could recommend to him to earn the miles on would be UA and LH - but I want to take advantage of the threshold bonuses BD gives.

Thanks, all. ^
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by SASfan
Which perks? Thanks, I am curious.
Well if you are a Luftwaffe FT and fly on the M&M empire than you get lounge access to either Luftwaffe Business Class Lounges or other partner lounges. Find more here.

You also get increase bag allowance on M&M empire flights and 25% more award and status miles.

So if you fly regulary on M&M empire airlines (Adria Airways, Air Dolomiti, Air One, Austrian Airlines Group, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Lufthansa Private Jet, Lufthansa Regional and SWISS) than FT is not such a bad deal for you as with 35,000 miles earned you get FT with loads of benefits.

FT is a very M&M empire airlines centric program (as it's only star silver) but good for those who fly on them.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:10 pm

Forgive me if this has already been posted

but according to the NY Times, our German friends look to be getting the cheque book out for another venture

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20.../index.html?hp
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I started a find a Diamond Club surrogate thread in the MilesBuzz Forum. Any contributions by more *A savvy folks than myself would be appreciated. I just hope the Golden Egg doesn't get turned into an omelette before I have a chance to polish it a few more times
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson
When KLM canned all the ex-AirUK staff, the
customer service became shocking.
??
You mean you don't adore Servisair??
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
In a related (or Unrelated) move, it seems Lufthansa is making more inroads in the USA, with a 19% purchase of JetBlue (B6).

(See the mega UA thread and this on the Newsstand)

Now if they're buying this segment of the company as an investment (as the dollar is low) or if they're in cahoots with UA planning something else is another matter completely.

Seems that Lufthansa are wanting to spread their influence further than these European shores... How these dominoes fall will be interesting...
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by Kevincm
In a related (or Unrelated) move, it seems Lufthansa is making more inroads in the USA, with a 19% purchase of JetBlue (B6).

Now if they're buying this segment of the company as an investment (as the dollar is low) or if they're in cahoots with UA planning something else is another matter completely.

Seems that Lufthansa are wanting to spread their influence further than these European shores... How these dominoes fall will be interesting...
There are restrictions on US airline ownership by foreign airlines (and management of the airline has to be by US nationals)- so I guess it will have to stay as an investment/ behind the scene string pulling by LH if they take a stake in B6.
I don't think UA is in any position to plan anything as they are in financial trouble themselves. they were hoping to be bought/taken over in 2006/07 so that all the top honchos who came in with bankruptcy could make a killing. Now they have missed the bus- only an American airline can buy them and CO was the only serious candidate.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
well,
bevore BD is bought by BA, and FFP is merged into OW, it better goes to LH.
But may be this means not the end of DC. LH could buy BMI and keep the brand with it's FFP.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: BD Silver; IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by bertheike
well,
bevore BD is bought by BA, and FFP is merged into OW, it better goes to LH.
But may be this means not the end of DC. LH could buy BMI and keep the brand with it's FFP.
It's a nice idea, but it doesn't seem very likely to me. Swiss' FFP got merged soon after LH took over, didn't it? And presumably LH would expect to make significant savings by moving DC into M&M.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, PC AMB, Hyat Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by graraps
??
You mean you don't adore Servisair??
But most of the AirUK staff came from Servisair in the first place , think you'll find it's more about empowerment and what an airline will allow a handling agent to do without prior reference to that airline, therefore downgrading the customer experience.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:11 pm

Jet looking at BMI stake

Sorry if this has already been posted, but can't find reference to it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...0/cnjet120.xml
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
In bmi becomes Indian owned they can outsource their call centre to the UK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.