Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:37 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
does anyone know if LH's call option gives them the right to block SMB doing a deal with anyone else for his "50% + 1 share" ?

Also , since 9W is a non-EU carrier what would happen to BDs traffic rights ? Could they be in jeopardy if a majority stake was in non-EU hands
Old Jan 20, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Highly unlikely for so many reasons. Surprised that LH has not purchased the SK stake though as last year they stated that they were happy to commence negotiations. The ownership issue over JK also still needs to be resolved.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:23 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
It may not be a buy out, just a large stake. This will be good for 9W. India-UK has dozens of different population centres which need links. Instead of 9W flying a few weekly BLR-MAN, BOM-BHX, DEL-GLA they can be routed through LHR like the scissor hub op at BRU. Does this make sense? I could see 9W gaining a larger UK-India market share with a move like this. Perhaps LH will allow it in exchange for 9W joining *A
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Also I believe LH has right of first refusal. Really can't see this happening at all.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Also I believe LH has right of first refusal. Really can't see this happening at all.
Yes, we've all heard about LH having the call option come mid 2008 etc., but this doesnt mean they have an automatic right to aquire SMB's 50%+1 stake at X price. From what I'm aware, LH can indeed buy SMB's stake, but only if they offer the highest bid for them. If someone else bids higher then LH will have to at least equal it.

They can exercise these options at the same price per share that Lufthansa paid for its original stake.
As far as I'm aware, this is only relevant to SMBs put option. If LH exercise the call option, the market is left to decide the price.

Then again, I could be completely wrong, but this is what I've read in the past.

Last edited by Boddingtons; Jan 20, 2008 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by browserden
In bmi becomes Indian owned they can outsource their call centre to the UK

LOL......
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:51 am

Programs: BD*G. BA gold. Air France platinum. FT baggage tags. PC Gold, Marriott Silver. Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by theworld
Sorry if this has already been posted, but can't find reference to it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...0/cnjet120.xml

This story was repeated in this mornings City AM (London financial free paper)

Steve.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by steveblower
This story was repeated in this mornings City AM (London financial free paper)

Steve.
heh, no longer live in the uk, but understand there are tonnes of these free papers now.

re 9w being interested in bmi, how will that work with star? AI are planning on joining star sometime this year or next year. i'm sure that would through a spanner into that if AI's biggest competitor in India ended up buying BMI.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by theworld

re 9w being interested in bmi, how will that work with star? AI are planning on joining star sometime this year or next year. i'm sure that would through a spanner into that if AI's biggest competitor in India ended up buying BMI.
In a perfect world, the gurus at *A would see sense and invite 9W to join rather than AI. As it stands, 9W seem to be getting quite close to AF. *A seems to be taking the Skyteam mantle of quantity not quality at ever increasing speed. In a world where 9W bought BD, I'm sure Skyteam would be able to use the LHR slots!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:17 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
the story in last nights local rag here in dubai was that EK were considering buying BD.. they certainly have the cash ready..
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AB-G, Hilton Gold, Marroit Silver
who do you want to take over bmi? BA/LH?

Willie Walsh is quoted in the press today saying BA are interested in acquiring bmi, which is not really a surprise... clicky here...

IF bmi was to be swallowed up by LH or BA, what are everyones thoughts on the preferred new owner? Which airline and loyalty program is better for us as diamond club members?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Don't Luftwaffe have first refusal? Personally I would prefer BA to merge my Diamond miles with my BA miles to give a balance boost, rather than become a Miles & More member, and find I now need more miles to do what I could have done with BMI. And then have to chase Hon Circ status.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Being more familiar with the BAEC I would say BA but I know very little about M&M so I would be rather biased. Although being based in EZE, having the LH option would be handy.

Bet this question pops up here again in four years time.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
I think More Champagne Sir? would say "Lufthansa... keep your hands off my airline!"...

I would say "Keep BMI my BMI" (yes, I'm lifting from DL again...).

Both to me would be hard steps. FTL is hard enough to get on a low mileage flyer like me... (35k in 2 years on cheapo Y fares... not a cat in hells chance!) and getting BA Tier points on the fares I travel on? Forget that...

I'd be a mere blue again (and probably crediting my miles to ANA or someone)

Where's a rich Middle Eastern/Far Eastern/Bill Gates conglomerate when you need one to fund a buyout? (heck, I'm sure between us, we'd have enough DC miles to buy a nice share of the airline...)
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I'm no great fan of LH but at least they run a frequent flyer scheme rather than a status recognition programme.

I would hate bmi to leave *A and would not think a move to OW appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.