Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: OZ,UA,BD,AA
Originally Posted by NickB
Yes, but the demographics of the UK elite members is bound to change substantially.
As someone who gains status primarily on self-paid leisure travel, I don't think that I could maintain *G in M&M the way I do it in DC. It would probably mean that I would focus on maintaining the BA Gold and not fly much *A anymore.
If your leisure travel mainly involves flying Y, you could always join OZ instead. After the initial 100,000 mile slog you can maintain *G quite easily on OZ.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrackAddick
If your leisure travel mainly involves flying Y, you could always join OZ instead. After the initial 100,000 mile slog you can maintain *G quite easily on OZ.
OZ was actually my introduction to *A at the time of the *A status match a few years ago. According to my OZ online profile, it looks like I am still Diamond, even though I haven't credited anything to it in yonks and have lost my card. The earn/burn ratio on OZ, though, is unbelievably bad. If I HAD to choose a *A FFP and DC no longer existed, I would probably go for AC. But, honestly, without the attraction of DC, I don't think I would care that much about *A and rather than spreading myself across all 3 alliances, I would probably end up primarily OW, with ST as a secondary.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:33 pm

I hope the DC program doesn't get swallowed up by M&M It will be bye-bye to the awesome redemptions such as Morocco to Dubai or Hawaii to Asia (to name a few). I guess if it does happen, we would have a couple of years to still enjoy these benefits.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
If it was the case of Diamond Club going to M&M, that would be me royally stuffed (I just about do enough a year to hit silver let along hit 35k in two years).

With M&M earing rates in Y (and discounted Y) quite frankly... very low (125 miles intra-eu flight vs 400 I get for an intra-eu flight, and half mileage on most longhaul Y fares), I'd have to either jump program or jump alliance and find a program thats happy to have a low earner (but I should add a loyal flyer - not that it means anything to a lot of companies these days)

Dread the thought - Flying Blue, UA M+, US Dividend Miles

I'm scared

In regards to the takeover, its going to be intresting how LH shores up the funding and moves in on the bits of BMI it doesn't have, then see what they will consider cutting back. However, seeing LX, they seem to have prospered well, and if anything have a fleet expasion and route expansion rather than a cut, I suppose anything can happen.

And when BMI is involved, it normally does....
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Kevincm
With M&M earing rates in Y (and discounted Y) quite frankly... very low (125 miles intra-eu flight vs 400 I get for an intra-eu flight, and half mileage on most longhaul Y fares), I'd have to either jump program or jump alliance and find a program thats happy to have a low earner (but I should add a loyal flyer - not that it means anything to a lot of companies these days)
What airline and what metal are you flying? Except for long intra-European flights, M&M is usually better in discounted economy. The 125 miles on M&M for cheap fares often compare to 0 miles on DC.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:24 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
To give a little background, as far as I can see LH agreed to buy LX on 22 March 2005, closed the transaction on 23 June 2005 and merged the FF programmes on 1 April 2006. So we should have plenty of warning.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by pauldb
To give a little background, as far as I can see LH agreed to buy LX on 22 March 2005, closed the transaction on 23 June 2005 and merged the FF programmes on 1 April 2006. So we should have plenty of warning.
^ useful, thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Thanks, pauldb ^
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:50 am

The above certainly gave me plenty to consider. Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:04 am

Here is how it worked with Swiss Travel Club (STC):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470631
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481164

The important thing is to be bmi Gold on the conversion date, as this should (hopefully) give 2 years LH SEN and after this two years LH FTL - plenty of time to obtain status in a different *A program.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
What airline and what metal are you flying? Except for long intra-European flights, M&M is usually better in discounted economy. The 125 miles on M&M for cheap fares often compare to 0 miles on DC.
On quite a few "cheap" fares, including the regular Ready-to-Fly promotion, you get 750 M&M miles per international sector on LH.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Wonder what they'd do about people shooting for lifetime gold by doing 10 consecutive years of BD gold or people who've already achieved it. Do you think they'd be so bold as to cancel people's existing or pending lifetime gold cards?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Wonder what they'd do about people shooting for lifetime gold by doing 10 consecutive years of BD gold or people who've already achieved it. Do you think they'd be so bold as to cancel people's existing or pending lifetime gold cards?
Yes. Other airlines have done this in takeover situations. That said, when LH bought Swiss, they got around the problem of the "Swiss Circle", invitation-only top tier by introducing a new top tier, "HON Circle", that they gave to Swiss Circle members for the first two years. I could imagine lifetime golds getting Senator cards for a couple of years, but no guarantees after that.

The first rule of frequent flyer programmes is that the airline can and will change the rules at short notice at any time. They are usually allowed to do this and make that pretty clear in the terms and conditions.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Oh joy.

O.F. (Aged 9 and three quarters)

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Dec 13, 2007 at 2:10 am
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Surely no-one ever believed that 'lifetime Gold' meant anything other than for the 'lifetime' of the Diamond Club scheme .....?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.