Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Hard to say. The call price could also be related to BD's performance, i.e. a set multiple of revenues or profits, perhaps with a minimum 40% above the put price.

In any case it would have to be higher than SMB's put price (the put price provides a floor value for him to exit, the call price a limit to the price LH have to pay).

In fact the put price wouldn't mean LH is getting an enormous bargain - it might be a price SMG decides to take. BTW, the telegraph says the put price rises with inflation, so I reckon it values the whole biz at £540m by next year.

I'd say BD's performance has probably been at the low end of what was expected in 1999 (to last yr revs grew from 905m from 613m but pretax profit to only from 30m from 11m). Most of the big airlines tend to be valued, very roughly at around 0.5x revenue so 540m for BD is not cheap. But that is offset by net cash of about 100m.

Independently, BD isn't worth as much in my mind as a major because it has a low net margin (less scale = higher operating costs as a % of revs). If LH threaten to walk away and BD stays independent, SMG will have trouble getting a 540m valuation (about 27x profit after tax). Hence the put valuation might be tempting.

On the other hand, LH might be reluctant to get BD at the moment, and SMG might wish to prove he can make a success of longhaul, so the two parties could agree to push back the puts/calls and alter their prices accordingly. The may be what the banks are looking at???
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by RAPC
Will this definitely be at a pre-agreed price, or subject to market valuations at the time? i.e. It is June 1st and Lufthansa offer xxx as a fair market valuation.

Just wondering as I don't have any knowledge of such high end financial matters.
Originally Posted by irmster
it appears from the above that the put option is at an agreed price, but the call option is not. I would think that if the call option was at the 1999 value, then it would be a no brainer for LH.
I'm not so sure. Of course, this will be a complicated, tailored contract. But I doubt that S&P would call it a call option if it isn't similar to a normal financial call option. And normally, a call option will have an exercise price, which is determined at the time the option is created.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by irmster
it appears from the above that the put option is at an agreed price, but the call option is not. I would think that if the call option was at the 1999 value, then it would be a no brainer for LH.
That was what I was thinking as well. It would have been rather foolish to set a price so early for the call option. Whatever happens, SMB won't be too badly off if he chooses to accept a bid.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:16 am

pauldb and SmilingBoy - thanks for teaching me something new today. Good to know these things.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by pauldb
Hard to say. The call price could also be related to BD's performance, i.e. a set multiple of revenues or profits, perhaps with a minimum 40% above the put price.
Correct - this is a possibility. But there will be hard formula in the option contract which determines the price, rather than a "fair" valuation (which doesn't really mean anything).
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
LH would want BD for its slots at LHR. The value of those things still seem to be rising.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
How would this affect BD's outstanding frequent flyer program?

i.e., miles + cash awards, with ability to cash in 1-way awards...

Last edited by SASfan; Dec 11, 2007 at 9:16 am Reason: Add 'this'
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by SASfan
How would affect BD's outstanding frequent flyer program?

i.e., miles + cash awards, with ability to cash in 1-way awards...
Based on what happened to Swiss, if LH buys BD I would assume at some point in time BD miles will be converted to LH miles and LH rules will apply.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Correct - this is a possibility. But there will be hard formula in the option contract which determines the price, rather than a "fair" valuation (which doesn't really mean anything).
I would assume that it will either have a hard price or (more likely) a pricing formula which will be very objective and difficult to dispute.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by LonLH
Based on what happened to Swiss, if LH buys BD I would assume at some point in time BD miles will be converted to LH miles and LH rules will apply.
Geez, this would be terrible! I have been following this thread for awhile and had planned to start accumulating *A miles with BD to redeem for some of the creative itins that I've learned about here.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SASfan
Geez, this would be terrible! I have been following this thread for awhile and had planned to start accumulating *A miles with BD to redeem for some of the creative itins that I've learned about here.
Well as long as you are looking to earn and redeem in the next 12-18 months, then you should be pretty safe. ^
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Well as long as you are looking to earn and redeem in the next 12-18 months, then you should be pretty safe. ^
I live in Santiago, where the Star Alliance presence is nonexistent.

Moving to IAD area next year, but don't know if I'll have enough time to accumulate sufficient BD miles to burn. I'm on the fence whether to accumulate with UA, BD, or LH (right now am leaning in that order...)

What do you guys think?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
If LH really are serious about acquiring BD it kind of explains why they have recently lost interest in both IB and AZ although given the tie up with Air One, they might still have a finger in AZ somewhere. All that said, the LHR slots would probably be the icing on the cake in terms of acquisition and I can't see them walking away from that and leaving the way open for someone else to make a move on BD and offer SMB a price he couldn't refuse. I think it's a done deal.

M&M isn't so bad and there are quite a lot of features to it that DC lacks....
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrpete
M&M isn't so bad and there are quite a lot of features to it that DC lacks....
Yes, but the demographics of the UK elite members is bound to change substantially.
As someone who gains status primarily on self-paid leisure travel, I don't think that I could maintain *G in M&M the way I do it in DC. It would probably mean that I would focus on maintaining the BA Gold and not fly much *A anymore.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
And I might well be off to the Leftover Alliance

Assuming Diamond Club does become Miles & More, what sort of timescale might we have for spending miles? I take it the absorbtion of Swiss didn't happen overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.