Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
A little confused and hoping someone can help me out. Trying to book a car at YVR for a ski trip with the family (me, wife, 2 early teen/tween girls + 1 board/3 skis + luggage).

Avis page with car options shows Full Size Class E example of Impala, rather than standard class E Malibu. Also shows Class L Full Size SUV example of Acadia. In the wiki, Acadia is Class S Standard Elite SUV and L is premium SUV (e.g. Suburban).

Not sure how frequently Avis changes categories and how consistent it is from airport to airport. Anyone have experiences at YVR?

Side question: Any experiences with full size sedans vs. SUVs? I am not averse to paying more for the SUV, as I can use points to blunt the cost, but experiences would be helpful in making the decision. Thanks.
I'm obviously too late to be of any use to you, but I thought I'd put in an answer just in case anyone else happens to stumble across it and needs the same information.

I booked a full size at Avis' corporate sibling, Budget, in YVR about 2 months ago. I ended up with a pretty nicely equipped Impala. It was my first Impala in years (since it was redesigned a few years ago) and I was pretty impressed. It's huge and has loads of space, it feels more like a big crossover SUV than a car.

From a traveller standpoint, I do like the ability to hide away suitcases in the trunk. I always feel a little uneasy leaving an SUV somewhere with suitcases and things in the back.

Looked like there were a lot of Impalas there, which is funny because YVR doesn't strike me as a big American sedan kind of place.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I'm obviously too late to be of any use to you, but I thought I'd put in an answer just in case anyone else happens to stumble across it and needs the same information.

I booked a full size at Avis' corporate sibling, Budget, in YVR about 2 months ago. I ended up with a pretty nicely equipped Impala. It was my first Impala in years (since it was redesigned a few years ago) and I was pretty impressed. It's huge and has loads of space, it feels more like a big crossover SUV than a car.

From a traveller standpoint, I do like the ability to hide away suitcases in the trunk. I always feel a little uneasy leaving an SUV somewhere with suitcases and things in the back.

Looked like there were a lot of Impalas there, which is funny because YVR doesn't strike me as a big American sedan kind of place.
Thanks for the reply. We go next week and I just decided to get a full-size SUV which, for some reason, was cheaper than a standard SUV. I also finally found a use for those Avis points and applied them to this reservation, so it should be costing me about $200 CAD for the week, which ain't bad at all.

Lately, I've been getting upgraded to SUVs quite a bit. Dodge Journey GT with 6 miles, a different Journey GT with 6 miles the following week, a Chevy Yukon with 53 miles this week. Also had a 4 door Wrangler and 4 door Toyota Tacoma. Out of my last 6 rentals, I've only had a sedan once.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:44 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I am looking at renting Avis for a one-way 8 day trip but rental will be from Fisherman's Wharf location in SF and not the airport. What does that usually mean for the car class we will get? Does such a location have many cars available - at a minimum I want the class I booked.

Looking at booking a full-size since we will have 2 big suitcases for our trip.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by kumarshah
I am looking at renting Avis for a one-way 8 day trip but rental will be from Fisherman's Wharf location in SF and not the airport. What does that usually mean for the car class we will get? Does such a location have many cars available - at a minimum I want the class I booked.

For a long one way you will probably get the highest-mileage full size car they have.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Originally Posted by m907
For a long one way you will probably get the highest-mileage full size car they have.
Or a weird car they want to dispose of. My last one way (EWN to RDU) netted me a high mileage Ford Flex on a FCAR reservation.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

What is the difference between booking via Avis or Budget now? Do both share the same cars?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:41 am

What is the difference between booking via Avis or Budget now? Do both share the same cars?
Fleets are interchangeable, at least in my experience. I've even had Avis assign me to a car on the Budget side of the lot.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Any new BMW X5s on the fleet yet?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm going to rent a Tahoe in Vegas in July, looking at the wiki post there's no or similars. Does this mean I get a Tahoe or they sub in a car from another group, any guesses what it might be if they do.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, DL S3 Non-Rev, Avis PP, AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by dougzz
I'm going to rent a Tahoe in Vegas in July, looking at the wiki post there's no or similars. Does this mean I get a Tahoe or they sub in a car from another group, any guesses what it might be if they do.
I reserve Z often. It will be a Tahoe or L, most commonly the Suburban or Expedition. They usually hold the Navigator and Yukon Denali for L reservations, but I have received both of these from a Z also. I see Sequoia's more frequently at west coast airport locations compared to east coast.

Example yesterday at BOS reserved Z, got L (Suburban). My past two west coast trips (LAS and SFO) with Z reservations were Sequoia's.
dougzz likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
AVIS S (Standard Elite SUV), is it a guaranteed 7 seater?

EK
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
AVIS S (Standard Elite SUV), is it a guaranteed 7 seater?

EK
Yes.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by m907
Yes.
Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:22 am

Just reserved a luxury going from Boston to Chicago. I know its some months untill but what does people usually land in a luxury category in The north East?
Old May 1, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Andreas Noer
Just reserved a luxury going from Boston to Chicago. I know its some months untill but what does people usually land in a luxury category in The north East?
As is said up thread on one way rentals like this they’ll give you the highest mileage car they have, or something weird they want rid of, maybe a one way left with them previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.