Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Rental: Intermediate
Upgrade: Always either Santa Fe (actually Like) or mercury suv (very much dislike)
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
12/8/08
Reserved: Full
Received: Old Mercury Grand Marquis with 25,000+ miles on it

Pretty disappointing, my first rental as a First and I would have rather have had just about any Intermediate they had on file there. I actually had a Sonata 2 weeks ago that I loved.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Lemurs
12/8/08
Reserved: Full
Received: Old Mercury Grand Marquis with 25,000+ miles on it

Pretty disappointing, my first rental as a First and I would have rather have had just about any Intermediate they had on file there. I actually had a Sonata 2 weeks ago that I loved.
DCA is terrible like that. A couple of months back, I went to pick up my rental. Full size rental, and they were giving me a Sonata.

I asked why no upgrade as a First. They said they basically only have the Marquis for "Premium" class and my profile specifically excludes this one car. A little questioning and they suddenly "discovered" they had a Charger (I love that car!).
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:21 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Reserved: Subcompact
Received: Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Mustang, on several occasions
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Reserved: Intermediate
Received: '09 Chrysler 300c Hemi (Black)

All the '09 300c's have the revamped 5.7 Hemi VVT under the hood. It's good for something like 370HP and just under 400 torques. They also redid the rear axle ratio so the revs are lower, especially on the highway.

Unbelievable performance from such a big car. With ESP and traction control on, flooring it down a dry road, you're destroying the rear wheels. Massive amounts of torque and highway power... such a fun car to drive.

The real problem with the 300's (or any of the other LX based vehicles like the Charger and Magnum) is the handling. I think there are submarines that handle better. You can absolutely explode down straightaways and then you have to go ever so slowly around the corners.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Reserved: Full Size
Received: Grand Marquis
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
Expecting the usual "no cars, have a free 'upgrade' to this SUV" deal, we simply reserved an intermediate this trip to PDX.

Date: 12/23 to Tomorrow
Reserved: intermediate
Received: Corolla with 11k miles on the odometer

This thing is like 17 inches shorter in length and has an almost foot shorter wheelbase than your average 'intermediate'...actually its a compact/subcompact. Only small car on the lot, too. Not the best time for an arctic blast to come blowing through Got stuck on ice in the hotel parking lot and almost had to call Roadside Assistance.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Reserved: Midsize
Received: Offered a 2dr Mustang (blech!), so asked if I could walk the lines and see if anything caught my eye - they said yes, out I went, spotted an Altima Hybrid, which they obliged me with as it had CA tags and my rental was back to LAX.

I wanted a hybrid, but not this one - what a piece of crap. Low tire pressure warning, not cleaned and just had an all-round feeling that the car was on its last legs...but at least the MPGs were good.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:53 am

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Received: Chevy Impala w/35k miles and it smelled funky
Switched: Mustang Convertible w/15k
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Reserved: Midsize
Received: Agent with quite a bit of 'tude saw I had an old Prius reservation which I thought was long canceled. Because of that, she flatly refused to upgrade me to a Prius (even though no one wants one anymore), and flatly refused to give me anything but a midsize car.

I had a back-up reservation at National, so I told her to cancel everything, and I went downstairs to the Aisle and picked up an almost brand new Malibu with leather - not as bad a ride as I expected. She made absolutely no effort to save the sale, and let me walk.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Reserved: Intermediate (Car Group B)
Received: Compact (Car Group C). Toyota Yaris w/25k miles.

Supposedly an upgrade. An example of a Car Group B Intermediate is a Toyota Vits. I would call this model an Economy or Compact at best. Also, the reservation rates were somewhat higher for a Car Group C Compact than a Car Group B Intermediate.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Received: Saturn Vue
Old Jan 23, 2009, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by bthobe
Received: Saturn Vue
What's your take on the Vue? A coworker vowed to never take one again. I figured that it couldn't be too bad, so when I was given one, I took it. Ugh, the seats were horrendous, it felt tiny, had pitiful pickup and felt very cheap, overall... other than the pitiful pickup, it reminds me of the Solstice, now that I think of it.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:06 am

I'm no small guy - 6 foot tall and over 215 pounds.

I find the Vue very comfortable. Actually, other than the old 35K + mi one I once got from LAX, I really like the car.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
What's your take on the Vue? A coworker vowed to never take one again. I figured that it couldn't be too bad, so when I was given one, I took it. Ugh, the seats were horrendous, it felt tiny, had pitiful pickup and felt very cheap, overall... other than the pitiful pickup, it reminds me of the Solstice, now that I think of it.
We had a full size SUV reserved to collect in EYW before Christmas, I was expecting a Trailblazer / Explorer type but they gave us a Vue.

I totally agree with your comments on the pick up, the thing felt very under powered. Did not notice seats being uncomfortable, was surprised that I noticed the similarities in some of the smaller switchgear between it and the Saab 9-5 that I drive at home.

Shame the similarities did not extend to engines, the pick up from the engine in my Saab 9-5 .... the thing bolts like a bat outta hell even as you start thinking of hitting the gas pedal

PS: if you ever want rip-roaring, thrown-into-the-back-of-your-seat acceleration from a car that looks like it doesn't have it - by a Saab 9-5 Aero with the hi pressure turbo engine.

Va va voom !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.