List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Booked: Compact (Sonic or similar)
Received: VW Golf with 30,000 km
Duration: 4 hours
Driven: 130 km
Was offered Ford F150 (ultimate upgrade there) but the computer wouldn't give it to me because of age restrictions. Was assigned Cruze but saw the Golf next door so went back inside to switch.

Booked: Full-size (Impala or similar)
Received: VW Jetta with 29km on it
Duration: week-long
Driven: 310 km
Was offered the Impala but saw the new Jettas on the lot and "downgraded" (to me it's an upgrade). No refund in price, but the difference between intermediate and full-size was only $20 total when renting.

Booked: Intermediate
Received: Ford Mustang with 18,000 mi.
Duration: 3 hours
Driven: 53 mi
Agent was nice, asked for Suburban but they didn't have one. Asked for European and they also didn't have any (lots and lots of BMWs on the lot), but offered Mustang.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Booked: Intermediate
Received: Ford Mustang with 18,000 mi.
Duration: 3 hours
Driven: 53 mi
Agent was nice, asked for Suburban but they didn't have one. Asked for European and they also didn't have any (lots and lots of BMWs on the lot), but offered Mustang.
Lol, you didn't really think you'd get a free Suburban or European without upcharge as a preferred right? IAH seems to be one of the toughest stations I've been to. I was told $150 per day additional for an XTS (which I laughed at) and $100 for a Volvo S60. On a full lot.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Booked: mid-size (car group D)
Assigned: Renault Scenic X-mod Auto (group H) with 15km but bare bones (no GPS, fabric seats,...).
Received: Opel/Vauxhall insignia SW full options(car group D), 2.0 cTDi engine, 17000km
Duration: 2 days
Driven: 550km

Asked to change due to automatic gearbox (always drive manual), and did not regret it, as the Insigna had more options.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:14 am

Booked: Compact
Assigned: Toyota Corolla
Received: Chevy Equinox LT w/ Sunroof

I can't stand the Toyota Corolla. To me it is the definition of boring, so I went to the Preferred Desk and requested a Ford Focus Platinum Edition I had spied in the lot but it wasn't available and they gave me another low mileage Focus. However when I got in the Focus there was a weird mildew looking stain on the dashboard. So then I went to the Select & Go aisle and got the Equinox which had all the bells and whistles including a sunroof.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Lol, you didn't really think you'd get a free Suburban or European without upcharge as a preferred right? IAH seems to be one of the toughest stations I've been to. I was told $150 per day additional for an XTS (which I laughed at) and $100 for a Volvo S60. On a full lot.
Never hurts to ask, especially for such a short rental.

Those up charges you mention are laughable, though.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Booked: Mid-size
Received: 2015 Impala LS

They literally had nothing else, so I asked them to cancel the reservation since Hertz had a Camry waiting for me (and I figured I could talk my way out of that... although I was unsuccessful). They actually thanked me, they really needed this car.

-J.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock

They literally had nothing else, so I asked them to cancel the reservation since Hertz had a Camry waiting for me (and I figured I could talk my way out of that... although I was unsuccessful). They actually thanked me, they really needed this car.

-J.
Did you have reservations with both Hertz and Avis and then decided which one to take upon arrival? I have a long rental period coming up and have made a reservation with Hertz (where I'm Platinum) because I was able to book online for the full two months and a few days. With Avis (PC status), I have to break it into three reservations because the max one can reserve online is 28 days and it's always a challenge to get them to combine it upon arrival.

We've had good service from Avis so are quite loyal but a lot has to do with what car they choose to assign us upon arrival as well for this long period. I'd love to hold reservations at both and wait until we arrive, see what they have, and choose.

I'm just not certain about cancellation policy upon arrival for either - anyone know, or has anyone used this tactic? It won't be a prepaid reservation.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:10 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by SusanDK
With Avis (PC status), I have to break it into three reservations because the max one can reserve online is 28 days and it's always a challenge to get them to combine it upon arrival.
Really? I've had a few >30 day rentals with Avis and never been a problem booking online. I just tried to reserve at airports >28 days without issue. I think >28 days becomes a mini-lease but should be fine to book online.

Be cautious if you're using your credit card to cover the insurance. They usually max out at 28 days.

As for canceling at pickup: as long as it's not prepaid, you shouldn't have any cancellation fees. I've done this a few times. Prepaid is another story.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Really? I've had a few >30 day rentals with Avis and never been a problem booking online. I just tried to reserve at airports >28 days without issue. I think >28 days becomes a mini-lease but should be fine to book online.

Be cautious if you're using your credit card to cover the insurance. They usually max out at 28 days.

As for canceling at pickup: as long as it's not prepaid, you shouldn't have any cancellation fees. I've done this a few times. Prepaid is another story.
Thanks! This is weird - I usually book through avis.dk because I live in Denmark and it is not possible to book for more than 28 days. I either have to make separate online reservations myself, or I have to call the local office who make the reservation quoting one fee for the total, but where they actually book it as separate reservations. This causes all kinds of issues when I get to the U.S. because it is seen as separate bookings and the system assumes I'll be returning the car at the 28-day mark, and sends me an email telling me my new car is ready to pick up when the next period is ready to start.

I just tried to make a booking on avis.com and you are absolutely right, I can book it for the entire period (which this time is 63 days). Of course, I don't get my all-inclusive rate that I get from the Danish site (CDW, ALI, all fees and taxes included). So I would have to use my credit card coverage from my UK-issued AmEx Platinum IDC for the insurances. It appears to cover both CDW and ALI for a "trip" which is defined as 120 days. I hope that's correct.

So I have both Avis and Hertz booked right now (will cancel one after asking my husband his preference) and both are via the U.S. sites so I'll be using my AmEx IDC insurance regardless of which one we select.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Did you have reservations with both Hertz and Avis and then decided which one to take upon arrival? I have a long rental period coming up and have made a reservation with Hertz (where I'm Platinum) because I was able to book online for the full two months and a few days. With Avis (PC status), I have to break it into three reservations because the max one can reserve online is 28 days and it's always a challenge to get them to combine it upon arrival.

We've had good service from Avis so are quite loyal but a lot has to do with what car they choose to assign us upon arrival as well for this long period. I'd love to hold reservations at both and wait until we arrive, see what they have, and choose.

I'm just not certain about cancellation policy upon arrival for either - anyone know, or has anyone used this tactic? It won't be a prepaid reservation.
Yes. As long as you pay later and do not choose a pay-now rate, you will not be charged. Of course, there's a risk that the wrong person takes your car and gets through the gate, but that does not happen very often.

-J.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:56 am

Booked: Full size
Assigned: Cadillac XTS
Requested: BMWs
Received: 2016 BMW X5 with 2000 miles on odo
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:19 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

MODERATOR'S NOTE: As this thread is 2800+ posts long, I've started a new thread HERE to continue the discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.