Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Upgraded to Dodge Challenger Hemi in Sacramento. Yes, safely hit triple digits on CA99 between Fresno and Stockton.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Impaul4
Very true. I am a Hertz Five Star and Avis First member. With my company I book compact (have to) and usually as I'm arriving at my destination I get an email from Avis with the car info and stall of the rental. Every time has been an upgrade to Intermediate or FS.

I want to try Hertz but I don't want to be stuck in a compact and hope the Five Star status gets me a comp upgrade to an Intermediate or FS, from there I would haggle to get something exotic or fun.

From my research Hertz tends to have "funner" cars and more exotic ones. I want to take my chances with them but it's hard to when I have gotten nice upgrades every time with Avis. I am switching because Avis doesn't seem to have exotic or "fun" cars that I couldn't get elsewhere. Looks like the typical Camaros and Mustangs, with the chance of a Corvette.
You can always book 2 cars (1 Avis, 1 Hertz) and see if the first you go to gives you something you want. Not sure about LAX, but I'd guess the lots aren't easy to transfer between.

If you're booking a compact as Avis First, I'd be surprised if you get a Camaro/Mustang very often. Or if you'd ever get a 'Vette! I've been turned them down a few times as a Chairman. Not sure what else qualifies as "fun" in your book, but maybe a loaded Fusion would be a good ride? I know it's not "lux" or even "premium" but I think that's a gem in the Avis fleet.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
You can always book 2 cars (1 Avis, 1 Hertz) and see if the first you go to gives you something you want. Not sure about LAX, but I'd guess the lots aren't easy to transfer between.

If you're booking a compact as Avis First, I'd be surprised if you get a Camaro/Mustang very often. Or if you'd ever get a 'Vette! I've been turned them down a few times as a Chairman. Not sure what else qualifies as "fun" in your book, but maybe a loaded Fusion would be a good ride? I know it's not "lux" or even "premium" but I think that's a gem in the Avis fleet.
The problem with that is we have to book through our internal site and can only do one. I know the Vette is out of reach without having to pay. I might do Hertz because I've been reading and seeing that LAX Hertz has a lot of Benzs and BMWs.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Impaul4
LAX Hertz has a lot of Benzs and BMWs.
If you get a Benz or a BMW from Hertz as a 5* renting a compact, I'll eat my shoe.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Date: 8/26
Reserved: Intermediate
Received: Subaru Outback, 1000 miles.

As per usual at MHT, the Outback is about the only decent car on their lot... and they have hundreds of them. Must be a NH thing.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
Originally Posted by bkafrick
If you get a Benz or a BMW from Hertz as a 5* renting a compact, I'll eat my shoe.
Challenge accepted lol..
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Delta Gold Medallion
Reserved: Full-Size
Requested: Nothing
Received: Chevy Suburban 4WD
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
As per usual at MHT, the Outback is about the only decent car on their lot... and they have hundreds of them. Must be a NH thing.
That's a very true statement!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Reserved: Full
Received: Toyota Rav4 AWD with 10K miles and VA Plates

As I was with my family and we had a fair amount of bags, this was a decent upgrade and the MPG (averaged 28 MPG for the 200 miles of driving) was acceptable.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by noah
Reserved: Full
Received: Toyota Rav4 AWD with 10K miles and VA Plates

As I was with my family and we had a fair amount of bags, this was a decent upgrade and the MPG (averaged 28 MPG for the 200 miles of driving) was acceptable.
200 miles from BOS to LEB? You take the scenic route?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:26 pm

Reserved: Luxury
Received: Infiniti JX35 fully loaded /w Nav 8300 miles

Pretty nice car, while it is not realy an upgrade

Last edited by makos; Aug 29, 2013 at 2:32 pm
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by makos
Reserved: Luxury
Received: Infiniti JX35 fully loaded /w Nav 8300 miles

Pretty nice car, while it is not realy an upgrade
Actually, a JX35 is a "Cool Car" so it's definitely an upgrade over a Luxury. (Note: before now, I had it in the wrong category in the first post... that's been fixed. My last JX35 was in late July and the receipt shows Cool Car category)
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Reserved: Intermediate
Assigned: newer Ford Explorer
Received: asked for a Ford Taurus...got one with 3k miles.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Reserved: Full Size
Assigned: Lincoln MKZ
Requested: 7 passenger vehicle
Received: 2013 Yukon XL
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
200 miles from BOS to LEB? You take the scenic route?
Well, the ultimate destination was 35 miles north of LEB so we did some extra driving before returning it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.