List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:29 am

LAX
PC
Rented: Full Size
Received: BMW 528i with Nav
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I think you mean the DTS used to be Luxury category? The XTS was introduced from the get-go as a Specialty vehicle.
While I agree with you, it also depends on the location. When I was in HNL recently, they gave me the XTS, and said it was the standard car they give to CC members, while in FLL, where I live, there are several XTS's in their fleet there, most of the time they are just sitting around unrented, because they are waiting for someone to pay $89 or $99/day, and don't want anyone to drive them if they are paying less than about $65/day, as best as I can tell. Silliness, but they did not ask me how to configure their policies, oh well!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:51 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by nova08
LAX
PC
Received: BMW 528i with Nav
!?!?!? ^!

Wow -- LAX is famously stingy, and you got a 5-series as a PC? Buy a lottery ticket...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Reserved: Midsize
Requested: G37/CTS/sports sedan
Received: Lincoln MKS

Went back to the counter and they found me a CTS4 with active SatNav and XM ^
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Reserved: Midsize, returning to DCA
Requested: G37/CTS/sports sedan
Received: Infiniti M37 with active SatNav and XM. Nice car, but a tad too big for my liking.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by QBK
!?!?!? ^!

Wow -- LAX is famously stingy, and you got a 5-series as a PC? Buy a lottery ticket...
It was the day after the July 4th long weekend so I'm thinking that helped my cause because my luck didn't continue...

PC
LAX
Received: Lincoln MKS (I hate all Lincolns)
Requested: Volvo, Infiniti, or BMW (On a monday evening the lot is pretty bare)
Ultimately Received: Volvo S60 (With 21k miles, but I'll gladly take it over a Lincoln). The LAX staff was actually quite accommodating in finding a car for me.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Received: Lincoln MKS (I hate all Lincolns)
Ultimately Received: Volvo S60 (With 21k miles, but I'll gladly take it over a Lincoln)....
How different we are! I really like all the current Lincolns. I haven't found an Avis Volvo that I like.. in my opinion: the seats are hard and the leather doesn't feel great, the interior looks basic, there aren't (m)any options on the ones I've had, the monochrome gauges don't look nearly as nice as many other lux cars. I did have an XC60 that seemed to have lots of pickup, but otherwise I'm anti Avis Volvos.

Today
IAH: Assigned a G35, but swapped for a Camaro SS Conv. But it was too hot most of the day to have the top down.

IAH-DFW: Assigned an MKT, but was able to talk my way into an Escalade. It's one of the few Avis cars I've wanted to try but haven't been able to. It's a gas hog and (other than the dash) doesn't seem any better than a Tahoe/Yukon.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Jul 24, 2013 at 8:44 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler

DFW: Assigned an MKT, but was able to talk my way into an Escalade. It's one of the few Avis cars I've wanted to try but haven't been able to. It's a gas hog and (other than the dash) doesn't seem any better than a Tahoe/Yukon.
Mechanically the only difference between the Escalade and its GM brethren is a larger engine and full time all wheel drive. Creature comforts wise, a fully loaded Tahoe/Yukon will be the same.

As an aside, fit and finish are better on Caddies and some Yukons than Tahoes and other Yukons.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by LAXative
As an aside, fit and finish are better on Caddies and some Yukons than Tahoes and other Yukons.
The Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade are all built in the same assembly plant.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

deleted - corrected info below

Last edited by IceTrojan; Jul 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:54 pm

Mechanically the only difference between the Escalade and its GM brethren is a larger engine and full time all wheel drive. Creature comforts wise, a fully loaded Tahoe/Yukon will be the same.

Yeah, I know they're mechanically very similar. I was just hoping for more from the Caddi (much better seats, better interior lights, key-less ignition, better center display, more lux looking "wood" trim, etc). It does turn on a dime, though, which works out nice with all the road closures around Fort Worth right now.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Not true at all, but I will admit that my info needs some slight udpating.

Escalades and ESVs are built in Texas; EXTs in Mexico.

Suburbans/Yukon XLs are built in Wisconsin, Texas, and Mexico.

Tahoes/Yukons are built in Wisconsin and Texas (well, plus Russia and Venezuela for the world market... now I want a Russian Tahoe!)

Avalanches are built in Mexico.

Silverados are built in Michigan, Indiana, and Mexico.
"The [Arlington] plant converted to truck production in 1997 and now is the only GM facility to produce GM’s portfolio of full-size sport utility vehicles – the award-winning Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade."

http://arlington.gmplantnews.com/con...gton/news.html

"Now the Arlington plant holds the distinction of being the only plant in the world that produces the GMT900 full size SUV, which includes the GMC Yukon/XL, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, and Cadillac Escalade/ESV."

http://www.examiner.com/article/gm-t...ant-june-12-14
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dayone
"The [Arlington] plant converted to truck production in 1997 and now is the only GM facility to produce GM’s portfolio of full-size sport utility vehicles – the award-winning Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade."

http://arlington.gmplantnews.com/con...gton/news.html

"Now the Arlington plant holds the distinction of being the only plant in the world that produces the GMT900 full size SUV, which includes the GMC Yukon/XL, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, and Cadillac Escalade/ESV."

http://www.examiner.com/article/gm-t...ant-june-12-14
Mea Culpa. In digging even deeper, what's highly disturbing isn't that my info was incorrect... I'm shocked that they actually did shut down the Wisconsin plant. I guess I stopped paying attention to GM assembly news longer than I had thought.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
How different we are! I really like all the current Lincolns. I haven't found an Avis Volvo that I like.. in my opinion: the seats are hard and the leather doesn't feel great, the interior looks basic, there aren't (m)any options on the ones I've had, the monochrome gauges don't look nearly as nice as many other lux cars. I did have an XC60 that seemed to have lots of pickup, but otherwise I'm anti Avis Volvos.
I really don't like the center console control unit. To me it is very busy and cumbersome to do trivial tasks. I know there is the voice command and I'm sure people get used to it. But for someone that drives the car every once in a while I find myself looking away from the road to the console more often than I should.

The newer Volvo's actually have some decent pickup compared to Volvo's of 10 years ago.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:46 pm

I really don't like the center console control unit. To me it is very busy and cumbersome to do trivial tasks. I know there is the voice command and I'm sure people get used to it. But for someone that drives the car every once in a while I find myself looking away from the road to the console more often than I should.
Couldn't agree more! Many newer cars are going the way of a few buttons and many layers of options to get simple changes. Definitely not good for safety of non-frequent drivers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.