Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Reserved: Full
Requested: Nothing
Received: Mitsubishi Outlander (Intermediate SUV)

There were not many cars on the lot; was offered a mini-van and a Ford Edge before we settled on this one. The agent wouldn't let me take the Explorer or Pathfinder that were sitting there. Fine for the 350 miles we did around Vermont and New Hampshire.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
Originally Posted by bkafrick
If you get a Benz or a BMW from Hertz as a 5* renting a compact, I'll eat my shoe.
Welp, I'm in LA. I rented with Avis per project management. I booked a compact, but then when we landed I found out I am hauling 2 more people.

First I tried to just upgrade to a Tahoe, but he wanted $80 per day. Then I changed the reservation to a standard SUV to try to get my Avis First upgrade to something bigger, hopefully a Tahoe. No go. I flat out asked, does the Avis First not even matter? He said it's all about supply and demand and so I said is every single car bigger than a compact or standard SUV booked?

So I did the standard SUV, got a Dodge Journey and I hate this piece of crap. 2600 miles and it sucks.

Are upgrades non-existent at LAX? Unlike the abundance of rude counter people. To top it off, I looked at the receipt and it says the class I paid for was a "premium." Sorry, a Dodge Journey is not a "premium."

Looks like I'm eating your shoe and mine. This synopsis is leaving out bickering and talking but it has been the worst rental experience for me.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
What were offered when it was just a compact?

Originally Posted by Impaul4
Welp, I'm in LA. I rented with Avis per project management. I booked a compact, but then when we landed I found out I am hauling 2 more people.

First I tried to just upgrade to a Tahoe, but he wanted $80 per day. Then I changed the reservation to a standard SUV to try to get my Avis First upgrade to something bigger, hopefully a Tahoe. No go. I flat out asked, does the Avis First not even matter? He said it's all about supply and demand and so I said is every single car bigger than a compact or standard SUV booked?

So I did the standard SUV, got a Dodge Journey and I hate this piece of crap. 2600 miles and it sucks.

Are upgrades non-existent at LAX? Unlike the abundance of rude counter people. To top it off, I looked at the receipt and it says the class I paid for was a "premium." Sorry, a Dodge Journey is not a "premium."

Looks like I'm eating your shoe and mine. This synopsis is leaving out bickering and talking but it has been the worst rental experience for me.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Teamstone
What were offered when it was just a compact?
A Ford Focus. So a real compact, first time I didn't get the comp upgrade. I know I'm not a PC or CC (I'm just a worker, not an exec) but I guess I'm spoiled by it.

Oh well, I went to a neighborhood Avis and swapped to a Ford Flex Limited. It's not bad, waaaaaaaaay better than the Journey. I guess he explained the reason for the "premium" was that it is cheaper than charging for an SUV given the holiday. The rates on the SUV are really high.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Males sense, and yes "SUV"s are more expensive than most. Of course when I was a First, most of my upgrades were SUVs. I think they get them hoping they rent them at the higher price, and then provide them as upgrades when they don't.

Catch the wrong weekend, and they aren't available. Going back two years, the "best" upgrade I was ever offered was a Crown Vic. I counted 14 on the late waiting for someone to take one. Although, in your case a Crown Vic might have worked just fine!

A Ford Focus. So a real compact, first time I didn't get the comp upgrade. I know I'm not a PC or CC (I'm just a worker, not an exec) but I guess I'm spoiled by it.

Oh well, I went to a neighborhood Avis and swapped to a Ford Flex Limited. It's not bad, waaaaaaaaay better than the Journey. I guess he explained the reason for the "premium" was that it is cheaper than charging for an SUV given the holiday. The rates on the SUV are really high.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Teamstone
Males sense, and yes "SUV"s are more expensive than most. Of course when I was a First, most of my upgrades were SUVs. I think they get them hoping they rent them at the higher price, and then provide them as upgrades when they don't.

Catch the wrong weekend, and they aren't available. Going back two years, the "best" upgrade I was ever offered was a Crown Vic. I counted 14 on the late waiting for someone to take one. Although, in your case a Crown Vic might have worked just fine!
It's the truth. When I don't need/ want SUV they offer it up. But I couldn't get one to save my life today. But they guy at the neighborhood location said just get a compact and swap it out at one of those saying it had problems.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Reserved: (Whatever Class Buick LaCrosse was in May 2011)
Offered: Chevy Suburban
Received: Nissan Murano

I knew I would be driving into downtown Denver, then Laramie and back, and did not want the Suburban. I was first offered a Jeep Wrangler, which I promptly refused (I would have taken the Suburban first), before we agreed on the Murano.

The Murano had a back-up camera, which was nice. The camera was a huge help backing out of a space in a tight underground downtown garage, where having the Suburban would have been a nightmare.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Reserved: Standard
Requested: Nothing
Received: Dodge Grand Caravan

We found the van waiting for us, which was a nice surprise, and then I saw the upgrade email later. My 6 year old son was thrilled. The van came in quite handy, as we needed to use only one vehicle for 6 people (Me, wife, son, parents, and SIL) to go to the parks.

Last edited by JohnneeO; Oct 1, 2013 at 8:25 am
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:44 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Reserved: (Whatever Class Buick LaCrosse was in May 2011)
Offered: Chevy Suburban
Received: Nissan Murano

I knew I would be driving into downtown Denver, then Laramie and back, and did not want the Suburban. I was first offered a Jeep Wrangler, which I promptly refused (I would have taken the Suburban first), before we agreed on the Murano.

The Murano had a back-up camera, which was nice. The camera was a huge help backing out of a space in a tight underground downtown garage, where having the Suburban would have been a nightmare.
You can get a Suburban with a camera too
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by gabrielsreign
Congrats zhutch!!! Let me know what they end up doing for you. I am getting married next weekend. Will be renting a car too. ^
Congratulations to you, too! They wouldn't go for the free upgrade. Ended up paying an extra $90 total to get a Camaro Convertible (so a total of $183 for the weekend...still cheaper than the limo AND i got to drive it myself all weekend!). The gentleman at the counter told me it was an SS, but when I got out there, it wasn't. It was 2am, and after a 1.5 hour flight delay and a 1.5 hour drive ahead of me, i wasn't really in a position to go back in and get something else. Something I didn't consider, though, was trunk space! My wife and I both had 2 big checked bags...they got to ride in the backseat on the way back to the airport! haha

Originally Posted by jisaac
If you have status at all and even if not, give a call over to the local location or the Avis First desk and make an ask. They may very well take care of you. Or send a message to the Avis Twitter account...
Ahhh i didn't even think about that! I would have tweeted them in a heartbeat. oh well...
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
Aug 29, 2013
MCO
President's Club
Booked: Intermediate
Received: Premium 2014 Chevy Impala, will try it next time.
Exchanged: Luxury Hyundai Genesis, I can't believe they label it as luxury, it was a base trim.

I walked pass by Hertz and noticed they have a Ferrari and some Porsche available for rent, wonder how much those would cost.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by zhutch
Congratulations to you, too! They wouldn't go for the free upgrade. Ended up paying an extra $90 total to get a Camaro Convertible (so a total of $183 for the weekend...still cheaper than the limo AND i got to drive it myself all weekend!).

Cool. On the honeymoon now. They offered to upgrade me for free to either a BMW 328i or a Lincoln MKT crossover. They were great but basic trims. And the line was growing long at LAX by the time I was getting back to the counter to pick the BMW.. So I instead went to alamo after canceling the reservation where I had a choice of Mercedes c250 a Hyundai genesis, a Cadillac ATS 2.5l and a Cadillac ATS 2.0t with HID and a massive sunroof n all the bells and whistles. Took that one. We are enjoying the ride. I have to say that it handles better than the new BMW 3 series. Only hiccup is that it now needs an oil change. So will have to swap it out. And I kinda don't want to.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by nightracerx
Aug 29, 2013
MCO
President's Club
Booked: Intermediate
Received: Premium 2014 Chevy Impala, will try it next time.
Exchanged: Luxury Hyundai Genesis, I can't believe they label it as luxury, it was a base trim.

I walked pass by Hertz and noticed they have a Ferrari and some Porsche available for rent, wonder how much those would cost.
I saw those porches 911 and panameras and
Cayennes at las as well. About 20 of them just sitting pretty at hertz.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Are upgrades non-existent at LAX?
I've been upgraded every time I've been to LAX, both as a PC and as AVIS First (years ago).... but... bottom line is: if you *need* a larger car/suv, book a larger car/suv.

and so I said is every single car bigger than a compact or standard SUV booked
Its not about if its booked or not, its about fleet management. If they feel they can sell the larger cars based upon what is available now, why would they upgrade you for free? Note they define the upgrade as "when available" - but that doesnt mean "when its sitting on the lot unassigned currently".
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Sept 2
SMF
Avis First
reserved intermediate
"upgraded" to not-a-2014 Impala. No... just no. I hate these things. They are awful cars built on a flabby GM platform that was old in 2003.
Bargained and ended up with a C-Max again. I have gotten these on request almost every trip this summer, and at 42-44mpg it makes the return fill-up a lot less painful.

I've also found that doing a forced reboot of Ford's awful MS Sync system before I leave the Avis lot ensures it'll work decently for at least a few days before it loses its mind again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.