Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles redemption ticket on ANA flights (Flights got cancelled)

Lifemiles redemption ticket on ANA flights (Flights got cancelled)

Old May 14, 20, 10:11 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 4
Lifemiles redemption ticket on ANA flights (Flights got cancelled)

Hi,
I issued a lifemiles award ticket on ANA flights but both of my ANA flights got cancelled.
I called ANA for flight protection and they said this booking belongs to Avianca.
I called Avianca they told me I should contact ANA for flight protection and get back to Avianca for re-issuing my ticket.
Neither ANA nor Avianca could help me with this ticket.
How could I do?
Thanks in advance.
wilsons is offline  
Old May 14, 20, 3:24 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: IHG Platinum
Posts: 540
Have Avianca redeposit the miles and refund the taxes. They should do this without penalty due to the cancelled flights. Then go online and find new flights to book.
wilsons likes this.
sleuth is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 1:10 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Posts: 1,302
Originally Posted by wilsons View Post
Hi,
I issued a lifemiles award ticket on ANA flights but both of my ANA flights got cancelled.
I called ANA for flight protection and they said this booking belongs to Avianca.
I called Avianca they told me I should contact ANA for flight protection and get back to Avianca for re-issuing my ticket.
Neither ANA nor Avianca could help me with this ticket.
How could I do?
Thanks in advance.
Until you have already checked in at the airport LifeMiles is the only resource. Flight protection is a thing after you check in at the airport. You no longer have a ticket as the flights ceased to exist. Call LifeMiles and have the booking cancelled and the miles redeposited.
wilsons likes this.
view-with-a-room is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 5:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 6,164
I agree. NH will refuse to touch this as it is an AV award ticket. LM is your only contact point.

You need to find new flights with award availability.
wilsons likes this.
SK AAR is offline  
Old May 15, 20, 9:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 294
As I found out several times, Avianca will do nothing. They will not rebook any other flights, regardless of what's available. Your only option is to ask Avianca for a refund of the miles.

- If you ask for a refund based on flight cancelation, refund will be free, but it will take a long time. It took 2 weeks in March, probably longer now, to get the miles back. Taxes - you may never get back. I am still waiting on the credit card chargeback, as Avianca simply did not return them.

- Presumably, you can process this as a voluntary refund, in which case miles will be redeposited immediately. There is a $200 fee to do so. I did not try.

Then you can go and look for a new ticket.
wilsons likes this.
tr3k is offline  
Old May 16, 20, 8:02 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Programs: Lifetime Plat Spg, 1K UA
Posts: 12
This was the response I received from Avianca, not what I expected...

Originally Posted by tr3k View Post
As I found out several times, Avianca will do nothing. They will not rebook any other flights, regardless of what's available. Your only option is to ask Avianca for a refund of the miles.

- If you ask for a refund based on flight cancelation, refund will be free, but it will take a long time. It took 2 weeks in March, probably longer now, to get the miles back. Taxes - you may never get back. I am still waiting on the credit card chargeback, as Avianca simply did not return them.

- Presumably, you can process this as a voluntary refund, in which case miles will be redeposited immediately. There is a $200 fee to do so. I did not try.

Then you can go and look for a new ticket.

So they still want to charge me for any changes as if was a voluntary cancellation...
andres21st is offline  
Old May 16, 20, 9:34 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,783
Indeed, until the day of travel, your recourse is solely with AV and NH will do nothing. The email is incorrect. As your flights were cancelled, you are due a full refund to your original form of payment and, if AV does not refund (fees + taxes), a chargeback is in order.

At a more practical level, if you do wish to travel, you will need to do the research yourself and then propose alternatives to AV. What are your dates of travel and destination?
Often1 is offline  
Old May 17, 20, 1:13 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,972
Originally Posted by andres21st View Post

So they still want to charge me for any changes as if was a voluntary cancellation...
the email is clear. upon replying that you agree to cancel, you'll get everything back except the non-refundable booking fee of 24 USD.
the second paragraph is only informational and doesn't apply to your request for an involuntary cancel.
(since LM has already established in the email that your flights were cancelled)
the informational part is just in case you chose not to cancel, and instead chose to change the dates to your ticket. just cancel and close the matter with these two tickets!

Last edited by Tokyoite; May 17, 20 at 1:19 am
Tokyoite is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: