Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Something looks awry. I normally see loads of LH inventory but just had a quick look, ARN to IAD is via LHR. FRA to IAD which I normally find easily on LH is LH to LHR and then UA to IAD
I just tried FRA-IAD randomnly picking May 1 and was straight away offered a long list of LH and LH/LH options in J.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:01 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
I just tried FRA-IAD randomnly picking May 1 and was straight away offered a long list of LH and LH/LH options in J.
Hmmmm wonder what dates LH4116 was looking for, I was searching out in October.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:08 am

Something looks awry. I normally see loads of LH inventory but just had a quick look, ARN to IAD is via LHR. FRA to IAD which I normally find easily on LH is LH to LHR and then UA to IAD
May be do to the strike
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinium
Hi

I'm new at LM and i have few questions:

1) Is chainsaw is dead? Is see no free seats in biz to JFK RT.
2) Does LM adds some free seats? I'm planinng to fly to Koh Samui from WAW, but there are no free seats to Koh Samui on flight Thai Airways BKK-Koh samui at all. Should i check availability later?
3) Few days ago, i saw free seats on route NYC-Europe city which could be only reach from US. Now there are no free seats in bizz.. what might couse this lack of free seats? what are the chances that they will appear?

Thank you.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:44 am

1. No. Seats appear and disappear all the time.
2/3. LM's partners release space (seats), not LM themselves. Keep checking.

Lack of "free seats" is caused by the plenty of people booking Star Alliance awards.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hmmmm wonder what dates LH4116 was looking for, I was searching out in October.
I was checking early and mid October. No seats found. Also I tried searching for FRA-LAX by its own, and I only found a seat on September 9th.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116
I was checking early and mid October. No seats found. Also I tried searching for FRA-LAX by its own, and I only found a seat on September 9th.
Try "nearby" airports. 2 J seats on Oct 10th, CPH-LAX on TK 77W (!).

Last year I had similar issue with MIA. Couldn't find 2 J seats out of FRA, but was able to find seats the seats VIE-FRA-MIA and BRU-FRA-MIA. So I went to Brussels for a night.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinium
Originally Posted by mlqsko
1. No. Seats appear and disappear all the time.
2/3. LM's partners release space (seats), not LM themselves. Keep checking.

Lack of "free seats" is caused by the plenty of people booking Star Alliance awards.
Thank you i will be checking it
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Try "nearby" airports. 2 J seats on Oct 10th, CPH-LAX on TK 77W (!).
Unbelievable that TK release award seats on IST-LAX (the holy Graal of routes) to *A partners but not to their own Miles&Smiles members. Been trying to use my TK miles to LAX for ages, but ended up booking JFK instead.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116
Unbelievable that TK release award seats on IST-LAX (the holy Graal of routes) to *A partners but not to their own Miles&Smiles members. Been trying to use my TK miles to LAX for ages, but ended up booking JFK instead.
If you try the same date IST-LAX, you will not get their 77W bird.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:15 am
Suspended

Change flight dates or cancel and re-book

Trying to call AV (Lifemiles) on their US toll free number has been a nightmare (agents cannot communicate properly). Does anybody know whether it is better to cancel an award booking outright, re-deposit the miles and then issue the ticket with the new dates OR is it better (i.e. cheaper) to simply do a date change?

If cancelling, what is the penalty (for a J ticket)? Are all the taxes refunded? How long does it take for the miles to be re-credited to the account?

If re-booking on the same PNR, what are the fees? Presume there is no change in the number of miles required?

Thanks for clarifying this - I'm a Lifemiles newbie!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:18 am

You are not a forum newbie. Use the search function or ask the big G...

or... http://bit.ly/1hkIVWw
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by FedUp2
Trying to call AV (Lifemiles) on their US toll free number has been a nightmare (agents cannot communicate properly). Does anybody know whether it is better to cancel an award booking outright, re-deposit the miles and then issue the ticket with the new dates OR is it better (i.e. cheaper) to simply do a date change?

If cancelling, what is the penalty (for a J ticket)? Are all the taxes refunded? How long does it take for the miles to be re-credited to the account?

If re-booking on the same PNR, what are the fees? Presume there is no change in the number of miles required?

Thanks for clarifying this - I'm a Lifemiles newbie!
1. I have found enough helpful, english speaking agents at Taca/Avianca lifemiles. So I would suggest HUACA.
2. Did you know that by cancelling a ticket for a $50 fee, you are effectively buying miles at 1.5 cents IF you had used more money, less miles to pay for the ticket, and that this does not count towards the annual limit on buying miles per account?
3. Personally, I have found cancelling and rebooking a lot more easier
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:40 pm

what is the rule for oneway ticket?
Can I have any stopover or open jaw?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkMrWhy
what is the rule for oneway ticket?
Can I have any stopover or open jaw?
Can you explain how to have an open jaw on a one way ticket!? Assuming you mean a surface sector, then no, neither that or stopover are possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.