Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
FAQs

Please help populate this Wiki by adding what you see as a relevant question and by providing the answer.

Claim for missing miles.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
to answer your questions:
1. Nope
2. Yes — but plenty of other PP lounges at ICN and the OZ lounge is really nothing to write home about anyway
3. AFAIK yes
4. Basically zero — the 772s, 359s and 380s all have Smartium and I don't see them sending a 330 to the U.S. (except HNL). Doubt they'll upgrade the 330s but the furthest those fly is ICN-IST.
5. No — earnings for OZ flights are 0/50/70/80/100% for economy and 100/125/135% for business depending on booking class — see Mileage Accrual Table by Class < Boarding Flights of Asiana Airlines < Asiana Mileage Accumulation < Asiana Club < Home.
Thanks for the answers! Wow, isn't that a bit odd to have not even the smallest bump for discount biz? I saw the chart and thought I was just reading it wrong. I like everything else I've seen so far about the program though.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I dunno what STPC is and I'm not going through Seoul anytime soon, but this sounds like a secret OZ hack. Seems like a good deal to get a free hotel. I've got like 12 hours in paris next week, had to spend $115 just cuz the metro doesn't open early enough for my flight, can't walk from the hotels and don't wanna pay 20 Euro to go 2km. I've toyed with buying one of those (even fake) Rimowa amenity kits, but they always want like $30 and I can't justify it. I could get one free!
STPC is not really a secret, nor is it a hack.

It's overnight accomodation provided by the carrier because their schedule requires an overnight stay in any transit location. There are several threads about it on this forum, so I'm surprised it's new to you. OZ doesn't provide it for all ticket classes...you can read up on another thread here where someone has copy-pasted the details of when you can get STPC. Current STPC hotel choice

Also, you need to have booked it in several days BEFORE you travel. So turning up to the counter and asking for it is going to get you nothing.

Finally, as for the amenity kit, it's most likely a status gift. So you probably won't get one as Diamond level anymore...I suspect you need to be at least Diamond Plus to get anything, and Diamond Plus Lifetime for anything half decent.

Last edited by sol95; Apr 27, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Thanks for the answers! Wow, isn't that a bit odd to have not even the smallest bump for discount biz? I saw the chart and thought I was just reading it wrong. I like everything else I've seen so far about the program though.
That's not unusual. Many airlines only credit 100% for the cheapest J fares. In fact, LH P (their cheapest J fare) gives 0% miles in many programs.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by sol95
Thanks. Honestly, I was considering moving my earned miles to another program after I got to Diamond Plus Lifetime, but never got around to deciding. There's not a whole lot of difference by way of published benefits between Platinum and Diamond Plus Lifetime, but we'll see how it pans out over the next few trips.
I'm interested to hear if there are any unpublished benefits to Platinum. I'll likely reach Platinum later this year, but it's always nice to know what I can be expecting.

I too was considering concentrating more of my flying/earning elsewhere, such as with KE, after reaching Lifetime DP. But I always seem to have too many disappointments with KE. Finally I decided to simply give them a miss except when there's no reasonable alternative. So at this point I simply don't care if I ever accumulate enough KE miles to become lifetime. Based in Korea, One World doesn't have good options to the places I typically fly to, so it doesn't make sense for me to change to a OW carrier either. So even after reaching Platinum, I plan to continue with OZ and Asiana Club. And hopefully there will be some hidden benefits that make that choice more worthwhile. But even if not, I'm very satisfied with OZ at least 99% of the time.

If there is any information about Platinum, perhaps it would be nice to start a new thread, being information in this thread are easily lost or difficult to find.
jon503 likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA, PC, HH
I have a question that I hope is quick to answer - do transferred miles from e.g. Hilton/Carlson to Asiana scheme count towards collecting status? I would have thought that they do not, but I am just shy of the amount required to move up a status, so it would be an easy way to fix that.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mr_Bigglesworth
I have a question that I hope is quick to answer - do transferred miles from e.g. Hilton/Carlson to Asiana scheme count towards collecting status? I would have thought that they do not, but I am just shy of the amount required to move up a status, so it would be an easy way to fix that.
No they don't. Asiana has separate calculations for award miles and status miles.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA, PC, HH
Originally Posted by zeer0
That's not unusual. Many airlines only credit 100% for the cheapest J fares. In fact, LH P (their cheapest J fare) gives 0% miles in many programs.
Ta - as I thought, but very helpful to have it confirmed!
Old May 25, 2018, 2:38 pm

Ok, YVR-LHR is $36. YYZ-CDG is $42. YVR-NRT is $104. So it seems OZ matches UA on flights to Europe, but adds extra fees on flights to Asia.
Just wondering using OZ redeem YVR-FRA Lufthansa flight, is it also no YQ fees?

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
Just wondering using OZ redeem YVR-FRA Lufthansa flight, is it also no YQ fees?

Thanks!
No, LH always has surcharges. I would expect around $200-300 in surcharges. Give me a date with award space, and I can look up exactly how much it will be.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:50 pm

No, LH always has surcharges. I would expect around $200-300 in surcharges. Give me a date with award space, and I can look up exactly how much it will be.
04/28/2019 YVR-FRA LH493 Aeroplan YQ CAD516.91 (=USD396) , United $36.91
04/28/2019 YYZ-VIE OS72 Aeroplan YQ CAD524.16 (=USD403), United $42
04/28/2019 YYZ-LIS TP262 Aerplan YQ CAD367.96 (=USD283), United $42

Appreciated!
Old May 27, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
04/28/2019 YVR-FRA LH493 Aeroplan YQ CAD516.91 (=USD396) , United $36.91
04/28/2019 YYZ-VIE OS72 Aeroplan YQ CAD524.16 (=USD403), United $42
04/28/2019 YYZ-LIS TP262 Aerplan YQ CAD367.96 (=USD283), United $42

Appreciated!
The Asiana site hasn't yet loaded that award availability, probably because it's so far off. (4/28/19 was the last day I could search award availability for on UA's site, but I guess Asiana loads award space a little closer in)

However, I (tried) checking those exact routes and carriers on some other days.
YVR-FRA on LH493 is $402 in J
Can't find any YYZ-VIE or YYZ-LIS space on the site at all. I checked multiple dates that show availability on the UA site to no avail so you'll have to call in to find out the exact numbers. OS surcharges tend to be very similar to LH, so expect $300-400 in J. Not sure about TP surcharges, would be interesting to find out.

So yeah, better hope some AC J space opens up. (I was able to snatch YYC-FRA on AC last summer and paid just $40 in fees)
ecgz88 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:47 pm

'd like to get some clarification on this if anyonr can advise me on it
​​​​For Asiana award tickets (on OZ metal; route is SIN-ICN) , if the route and fare class remains the same, are there any issues? I have the 10k mile certificate from the BoA credit card that will expire in September and while my exact dates are not set yet, I'm thinking of booking first and then seeing if I can adjust the reservation later if needed. From the website, I read two things:1. The date of flight can be changed once, as long as it is the same carrier, boarding class, and flight number. 2 ​​​​ The date of boarding in the itinerary after boarding of the first itinerary can be changed only one time at least three days before the date of departure of the section to be changed. (The change is allowed for same airline, same class, and same flight within the same route only. However, if there are no changes in the mileage redemption, it will not be possible to make changesWill there be any issues?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
I am a long time lurker in FT - but rarely posts; I used to fly a lot with OW during my sting in Europe but now I am based in Canada (YUL) and does sporadic paid flights.
Most flights are within N.A & I intend to (Pay) fly to India yearly once my award miles stash expires. OZ interests me mainly due to status accrual & renewal timelines.
I am hoping OZ makes sense to my needs - comments welcome

Basic Details as follows
1) Based at YUL
2) Can take position flights to NYC / YYZ if needed
3) Just looking for *A status (for circa 3 - 3.5 yrs at least) without much hassle

Queries as follows
1) I know it requires 40K miles for Diamond ; are there any mileage run sweet spots available for me?
2) Does OZ have any quarterly / yearly sales/promo that happens routinely that can be leveraged for mileage runs?
3) Impact of OZ earning chart for domestic AC & intra N.A flights?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:13 pm

Can't seem to find it - where's the correct page to check/book asiana award flights not going through ICN? used to be able to do it from the korean site with google translate but now that they've updated the web page, it doesn't seem to work anymore. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by goodtasting
Can't seem to find it - where's the correct page to check/book asiana award flights not going through ICN? used to be able to do it from the korean site with google translate but now that they've updated the web page, it doesn't seem to work anymore. Thanks in advance!
For *A flights? As before, you have to use the Korean site. It's a different link, I'll post it when I get to a computer this evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.