Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
FAQs

Please help populate this Wiki by adding what you see as a relevant question and by providing the answer.

Claim for missing miles.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by 1984SW
On https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/conten...ibility-period there is a section on "Earl Upgrade Benefits" with the following diagram:

What do they mean by "boarding and affiliate card records"? Does it simply mean a *G membership card?

During that "Early Upgrade Period," are there full Asiana Club Diamond benefits like ability to use *G clubs (e.g. United Club or Senator Lounge), extra checked bag, 10% extra mile bonus on OZ flights, etc.?
For your first question, the wording on the site isn't very clear. It simply means that anything that would contribute to status in the early upgrade period is not included for the calculation for the next Elite Eligibility renewal date at 48 months. ie. Only records from 24 - 48 months contribute to renewal at 48 months.

Yes, in your early renewal period you are a full *G member.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW
On https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/conten...ibility-period there is a section on "Earl Upgrade Benefits" with the following diagram:

What do they mean by "boarding and affiliate card records"? Does it simply mean a *G membership card?

During that "Early Upgrade Period," are there full Asiana Club Diamond benefits like ability to use *G clubs (e.g. United Club or Senator Lounge), extra checked bag, 10% extra mile bonus on OZ flights, etc.?
I believe the "affiliate card records" would be the miles one accumulated through affiliated credit cards.
wpcoe and SightseeMC like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:05 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by prelude
For your first question, the wording on the site isn't very clear. It simply means that anything that would contribute to status in the early upgrade period is not included for the calculation for the next Elite Eligibility renewal date at 48 months. ie. Only records from 24 - 48 months contribute to renewal at 48 months.

Yes, in your early renewal period you are a full *G member.
Thanks! I was hoping the result would be full *G member as of qualification at "early update" date, and it is.

Last edited by wpcoe; Oct 22, 2019 at 2:33 am Reason: clarity
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Thought I'd do a quick calculation for earning status for newly interested fliers and maybe UA refugees. These are the earnings rates for discount economy OZ flights; best to remember that OZ is pretty stingy with partner earnings, so expect 0-50-70% for their discount economy (and that there are virtually no perks for status beyond *G's standards). May do other origins/destinations as well.

Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:23 pm

Hi all, sorry if this isn't supposed to be posted here, but I have a question.

I've recently purchased round trip economy tickets from SFO-ICN on Asiana Airlines. When booking, I gave them my Asiana Club member number. Is it possible for me to call them and ask them to credit the miles to my United MileagePlus instead? Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Jason,

Welcome to Flyertalk!

There shouldn't be any issues calling OZ (other that the hold time). Did you try to edit it online yet, usually that's easier and more likely to not get the number messed up.

Cheers
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I wanna book a mileage ticket for someone else...how do I go about this? I've used the star alliance search on the korea version of the site, but it doesn't let me input a passenger, just automatically lists myself. If it matters, this person is not family, friend would be more accurate.

Edit: I google searched this, got directed to a closed very old thread that said it was in the FAQ, I scrolled up and down this thread and tried a couple different searches and came up empty. It makes zero sense that you can't use miles to book a ticket for someone else, but it seems if you're a diamond member you can? I'm diamond, so I guess that's good, but I'm literally trying to pay these guys my miles and it seems like they might not want them?

Last edited by drvannostren; Jan 4, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I wanna book a mileage ticket for someone else...how do I go about this? I've used the star alliance search on the korea version of the site, but it doesn't let me input a passenger, just automatically lists myself. If it matters, this person is not family, friend would be more accurate.

Edit: I google searched this, got directed to a closed very old thread that said it was in the FAQ, I scrolled up and down this thread and tried a couple different searches and came up empty. It makes zero sense that you can't use miles to book a ticket for someone else, but it seems if you're a diamond member you can? I'm diamond, so I guess that's good, but I'm literally trying to pay these guys my miles and it seems like they might not want them?
As far as I know, you can book tickets for other people if and only if they are relatives: siblings, children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, and in-laws ... to some extent. Of course, things may have changed and maybe this isn't a rule anymore, or maybe there are different rules if your account was made in another country than Korea.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:17 am

This is an insane rule. A mileage ticket should essentially be treated just like a cash ticket. Of course I can buy a cash ticket for someone else, so why not mileage? But....just another wrench in my plans...back to the drawing board.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:50 pm

It might just be something that can't be done online. Mileage upgrades need to be done over the phone so this might be something similar.
Have you tried calling OZ yet?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by ttuna3
It might just be something that can't be done online. Mileage upgrades need to be done over the phone so this might be something similar.
Have you tried calling OZ yet?
No, because their US call center isn't open on weekends. The recording on the phone when I just called to test this said they're open 830am to 12 NOON, website says 2400, 0830-1200 would be pretty limited call hours so I wonder if that's just bad translation.

FWIW it does SEEM like it's not able to be done, the interpretation I get online is that it's not doable unless they're family. This seems very strange to me, wouldn't have stopped me from joining and participating in the program, but I can see how it would for some people and they certainly don't advertise this.

Last edited by drvannostren; Jan 5, 2020 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:26 pm

The Reservations Center is 0700-2400 (yes midnight) Pacific Time (they're in Smog Angeles)
The Ticketing folks are there from 0830-1700. Those are the people you need to talk to.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:51 pm

I'll give them a try tomorrow, but I'm not super hopeful. The one upshot to this program is that they don't levy surcharges on AC of all things. Whereas AC levies them in their own damn program unless you're super elite. So if I have to use my OZ miles to fly myself to DXB on this same trip, I can fly AC relatively fee-less.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:55 pm

Maybe I can ask something else for those of you in the know regarding Etihad

1) I've read online they have surcharges, but the bloggers seem to say they're pretty reasonable? Any idea on them? I'd be looking at J/Y, not F if that makes any difference.

2) Can you pair Etihad with other airlines? Example: I live in YVR, EY flies nowhere near here. But can I fly say...YVR-LAX (on AC/UA) then LAX-AUH (on EY) on the same ticket for the same 80,000 miles return in Economy?

3) Lastly, is Expertflyer a reliable source for EY availability? I was looking at it yesterday and while I'm really far out for my booking it seemed like there was a pretty high amount of availability.

Thanks again folks
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
... FWIW it does SEEM like it's not able to be done, the interpretation I get online is that it's not doable unless they're family. This seems very strange to me, wouldn't have stopped me from joining and participating in the program, but I can see how it would for some people and they certainly don't advertise this.
It is the same with Korean Air: family only. British Airways used to limit to 5 people who shared your address, now you can book for a few more people (5 or 6) if you put them into your list of friends, but you are still limited. With Aegean, you can pool miles into one account if you have status. Different cultures, different rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.