Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
FAQs

Please help populate this Wiki by adding what you see as a relevant question and by providing the answer.

Claim for missing miles.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by jon503
Yes, it sounds like you are still in your first evaluation period. You have two years to qualify for the two years following your initial evaluation period (so until 2018/09/30), but the nice thing is that if you qualify early - like with your Asiana Gold status - you actually get more than 2 years of status for this initial period. In other words, you have until 2018/09/30 to get the additional 20,000 miles needed to reach Diamond status, which will then last from the day you attain it until 2020/09/30.

This also means that your first re-qualification will start after 2018/09/30, when the status mile counter is reset for everything except lifetime miles.
thank you! will redeem tickets instead of buying tickets now since any purchases wouldnt count till after 2018/09/30
Lonsinla is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:44 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BTV
Posts: 23
Flying OZ235, ORD to ICN on Monday, 2355 12 March 2018 in business. Looking for lounge options. Swiss and SAS close too early per websites. See United lounges in T1 are open until 2100 and 2200. Understand there is no airside connection from T1 to T5 later in the evening. Are there any lounge agreements in place for later times in T5? No luck searching here or on other websites discussing ORD lounges. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
VTerforlife is offline  
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:53 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: EWR
Posts: 2,112
You can use the Star Alliance Lounge Finder. Looks like at least for J flyers they contract with the JAL Lounge
steveman518 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:47 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: BOS/SIN
Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Posts: 1,798
Originally Posted by VTerforlife
Flying OZ235, ORD to ICN on Monday, 2355 12 March 2018 in business. Looking for lounge options. Swiss and SAS close too early per websites. See United lounges in T1 are open until 2100 and 2200. Understand there is no airside connection from T1 to T5 later in the evening. Are there any lounge agreements in place for later times in T5? No luck searching here or on other websites discussing ORD lounges. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
OZ website says they use the SAS lounge which remains open until 2325(Partner Lounges < At the Airport < Information & Service < Home) so there's probably some sort of agreement in place with SK for it.

Also if you have plenty of time to spare at ORD you can choose to clear security at T1 to use the UA Polaris lounge (which closes at 9pm unfortunately, but they have much better food/liquor and also showers) and then exit landside to T5 afterward.
truncated is online now  
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:15 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BTV
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by truncated
OZ website says they use the SAS lounge which remains open until 2325(Partner Lounges < At the Airport < Information & Service < Home) so there's probably some sort of agreement in place with SK for it.

Also if you have plenty of time to spare at ORD you can choose to clear security at T1 to use the UA Polaris lounge (which closes at 9pm unfortunately, but they have much better food/liquor and also showers) and then exit landside to T5 afterward.
Flying into ORD from BTV with arrival times anywhere from 1900 to 2030 this past week to B, C, E, or F gates. Was hoping to get to see the Polaris lounge at least for a few minutes. ORD websites and Google Maps were showing Swiss lounge closing at 1900 and SAS lounge closing at 2000. Was hoping for something to fill in the 2-3 hours or so until my flight. This is excellent information. Another example of FlyerTalk coming through for those who ask. Thank you very much.
VTerforlife is offline  
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:35 am
  #111  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: RTM, CDG
Posts: 180
Having flown from ORD last week I can confirm that the SAS lounge stays open until the departure of OZ235, there is a dedicated OZ staff member in OZ uniform in the lounge.
KL714 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:21 am
  #112  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 2,272
Questions re: Asiana

I'm considering booking an award on Asiana but don't know much about the product. My destination is PVG, so I was considering booking JFK-ICN-PVG where there would be an overnight layover and I would continue on in J the following morning. The next day would I be able to use the F lounge? Is Asiana worth flying in F? What type of fuel surcharges can I expect from them? How would they compare to other airlines F cabins like JAL, ANA, SQ,CX?
Red259 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:02 am
  #113  
formerly 1984SW
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,058
I'm going to fly JFK-ICN-BKK on OZ:

- First Class JFK-ICN
- Business Class ICN-BKK (since they don't offer F on that flight).

Will I have access to the First Class Lounge in ICN, or just the Business Class Lounge? This is on an award ticket, if that matters.
wpcoe is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:38 pm
  #114  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 14,365
I think it is always worth flying in F and the Asiana F product is very nice. Having said this, it is not as over the top as that of some other carriers. I think this is true for any class of service on OZ. Where they shine is with an excellent cabin service. I don't think you will be able to use the F lounge when departing in J but the lounge is nothing to write home about anyway. Usually you can't do much wrong booking F on OZ.
wpcoe likes this.
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:42 am
  #115  
formerly 1984SW
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,058
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I think it is always worth flying in F and the Asiana F product is very nice. Having said this, it is not as over the top as that of some other carriers. I think this is true for any class of service on OZ. Where they shine is with an excellent cabin service. I don't think you will be able to use the F lounge when departing in J but the lounge is nothing to write home about anyway. Usually you can't do much wrong booking F on OZ.
Thanks. I was encouraged by a good friend to try F instead of J which I've been flying since it's "good enough" for me. He said I'll be quite pleased with OZ F especially since the suites have doors and privacy is one of my top seating priorities. I find the Smartium J seats, especially the true window seats on the A380, to be quite good for privacy. But, I think I'll really like having a door.

I was hoping to try the ICN OZ F lounge because the J lounge was so packed the previous time I flew this same itinerary. I'll ask at the J lounge outbound BKK-ICN-JFK (when I'm in J the whole way) about my return when it's F-J.

This trip is using AV LifeMiles (award ticket) and to upgrade from J to F on the JFK-ICN segment was only about 12k miles, so I thought why not give F a try.
wpcoe is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:53 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 668
When you are at Incheon airport (Seoul) you have the option of paying for access to the first class lounge. I never did because business class was good enough for me, but if you really want to experience first class lounge, that could be an option for you. I don't remember how much it costs, but I think it was about $50.
erik19283 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:12 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Posts: 1,128
Originally Posted by erik19283
When you are at Incheon airport (Seoul) you have the option of paying for access to the first class lounge. I never did because business class was good enough for me, but if you really want to experience first class lounge, that could be an option for you. I don't remember how much it costs, but I think it was about $50.
I don't believe the option to pay for F lounge access is available any longer.
sol95 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:39 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,716
As others have mentioned, the F lounge is not spectacular by any means. It does have better food though - I always found the food offering in the J lounge to be pretty mediocre at best (unless you like cup noodles )
puchong is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:09 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Posts: 775
Originally Posted by puchong
As others have mentioned, the F lounge is not spectacular by any means. It does have better food though - I always found the food offering in the J lounge to be pretty mediocre at best (unless you like cup noodles )
Come on, who doesn't love cup ramen!!! . Yeah I hear you, I never really paid attention to the food in the J lounge. I just focus on the shower before the flight since I come from CJU a bit early and still sleepy.
Gasolin is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:00 am
  #120  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: HNL / SIN
Posts: 87
Random question : I'm situated out in Singapore and don't fly very often, so I'm going for Asiana Club Gold (*A Silver).

I'm planning on doing some long term travel (HNL-Europe, maybe some inter-Europe travel via flights (likely will use trains and buses more though), Europe to Morocco, Morocco to South Africa, South Africa to LAX, LAX to LIM and then some inter-South America flights before returning to SIN)

My question : I may end up having enough points to cover economy class awards flights for two people for the above, but if given the chance and knowing my itinerary above, would it make sense to try to hit Asiana Gold/*A Silver earlier in the trip based on the benefits? From what I saw, it doesn't look like it'd be worth it for *A Silver, but maybe for Gold (even then, I have Priority Pass through my CSR).

Having *A silver (or gold) wouldn't enable me to be eligible for any seat upgrades on any other non-Asiana *A airlines right?
goodtasting is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.