Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:12 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stevento
Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Arriving on HND-CGK at 5.05AM. Onward flight to YIA, have done eVOA, will have checked baggage.
Choices for onward flight are
6.30AM Batik
7AM Superjet
7.10AM Citilink Terminal 2D
7.50AM Garuda Terminal 3

Would 7.10AM Citilink be a safe option, or should we go for 7.50AM Garuda instead?
As far as I am aware, all Citilink flights still operate from Terminal 3. The first two flights are especially risky since they depart from different terminals (T2 for Batik and T1 for Superjet) so I wouldn’t recommend them in any circumstance.

Even though you’ve got an eVOA, there are still lines for immigration, which could be quite long depending on what other arrivals there are. Assuming there are no lines, the wait for your checked baggage could add 30 minutes to an hour depending on priority. Finally, there’s another queue to clear customs checks, which when busy could take 10-20 minutes.

Judging from your options, I’d maybe take the 07.50 Garuda, but I’d personally take a slightly later flight just in case anything goes wrong. Good luck!
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
As far as I am aware, all Citilink flights still operate from Terminal 3. The first two flights are especially risky since they depart from different terminals (T2 for Batik and T1 for Superjet) so I wouldn’t recommend them in any circumstance.

Even though you’ve got an eVOA, there are still lines for immigration, which could be quite long depending on what other arrivals there are. Assuming there are no lines, the wait for your checked baggage could add 30 minutes to an hour depending on priority. Finally, there’s another queue to clear customs checks, which when busy could take 10-20 minutes.

Judging from your options, I’d maybe take the 07.50 Garuda, but I’d personally take a slightly later flight just in case anything goes wrong. Good luck!
Thanks! Citilink was confusing, some sites said T2, some T3. I just chatted with Citlink and they confirmed T3.
The HND-CGK flight lands at 5.05AM. The only other flight at that time is DMK-CGK on B737 which lands at 5AM.
We are traveling in business, and will technically have "Priority" luggage, although in all my years of traveling I've never seen that tag have any effect of the order of delivery of bags (I'm curious what that tag actually does, actually).
With that in mind, do you still think 7.10 Citilink is too risky?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Thanks! Citilink was confusing, some sites said T2, some T3. I just chatted with Citlink and they confirmed T3.
The HND-CGK flight lands at 5.05AM. The only other flight at that time is DMK-CGK on B737 which lands at 5AM.
We are traveling in business, and will technically have "Priority" luggage, although in all my years of traveling I've never seen that tag have any effect of the order of delivery of bags (I'm curious what that tag actually does, actually).
With that in mind, do you still think 7.10 Citilink is too risky?
There might be various delays with incoming flights, staffing at immigration cannot be predictable etc etc... I would go with GA option to be on the safe side. Or be prepared to buy (expensive) same day departure ticket if you miss Citilink...
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Garuda owns Citilink.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Garuda owns Citilink.
You're right, but Citilink is a low-cost carrier, meaning there is little to no flexibility if OP misses their flight. Whereas most domestic Garuda fares now book into class Y, which gives a little more flexibility in case the immigration lines are a mess.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Arriving on HND-CGK at 5.05AM. Onward flight to YIA, have done eVOA, will have checked baggage.
Choices for onward flight are
6.30AM Batik
7AM Superjet
7.10AM Citilink Terminal 2D
7.50AM Garuda Terminal 3

Would 7.10AM Citilink be a safe option, or should we go for 7.50AM Garuda instead?

There's no such thing as a safe option when you're talking about a separately ticketed connection constrained to a narrow window: just options that carry less risk than others.

I'd simply go for the most generous interval which minimises other risk factors.

Immigration and baggage delivery are factors common to any of the options you pose. Recognising that, the riskiest logistical element within your control is a terminal switch: avoid it.

That done, your self-imposed window leaves you with Citylink, and Garuda, 45 minutes' later. Clearly the Garuda timing makes it the safer bet. Only you can set the peace of mind generated by the slightly more generous connection time against the consequences of arriving 45 minutes later at Yogyakarta. Maybe you have a train to catch, who knows .

Ticket prices might sway judgement, but these are unlikely to be a major consideration. If the connection fails, having to buy new tickets would be unfortunate, but it's unlikely to break the bank.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:14 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
The safest option for separate tickets is sleeping near the intermediate airport
ie the connection is overnight when wandering
Fred
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by clubeurope
You're right, but Citilink is a low-cost carrier, meaning there is little to no flexibility if OP misses their flight. Whereas most domestic Garuda fares now book into class Y, which gives a little more flexibility in case the immigration lines are a mess.
I actually prefer Citilink over Garuda.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:39 pm

I am considering a separate ticket routing through CGK to maximise some flight credits I have. MEL-SYD-CGK||CGK-DOH-LHR on QF and QR. QF won’t through check bags so I will have to go through immigration and recheck on my way out.

Any idea how long the line would be on a Saturday evening? I’ve got 6hr30 to do it so I’m not too worried.

QR seem to through check going the other way so less of an issue.

anything to do landside by the airport?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by oldfolky
I am considering a separate ticket routing through CGK to maximise some flight credits I have. MEL-SYD-CGK||CGK-DOH-LHR on QF and QR. QF won’t through check bags so I will have to go through immigration and recheck on my way out.

Any idea how long the line would be on a Saturday evening? I’ve got 6hr30 to do it so I’m not too worried.

QR seem to through check going the other way so less of an issue.

anything to do landside by the airport?
Just a few restaurants, convenience stores, and cafés behind the check-in desks. Nothing more within walking distance in my opinion.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:22 am

Hi, is there anyone that has used different passports entering Indonesia and can speak to what, if any, isssues that has raised?
My specific example is that I have used a US Passport to do VOA in Indonesia before. I'm running low on pages, but have an empty German passport as well. Can i just switch to eVOA with the German passport or will this cause confusion I'm better advised to avoid?
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by zig666
Hi, is there anyone that has used different passports entering Indonesia and can speak to what, if any, isssues that has raised?
My specific example is that I have used a US Passport to do VOA in Indonesia before. I'm running low on pages, but have an empty German passport as well. Can i just switch to eVOA with the German passport or will this cause confusion I'm better advised to avoid?
If you do eVOA, there is just a small sticker for entry, and the usual exit stamp in your passport. Total less than 1/5 of a page.
It is not like the old VOA which took a full page. So running low on pages should not be an excuse not to use the USA passport.
But as far as I recall, Indonesia does not ask if you have ever entered on another passport, so I don't see why that
should be a problem if you do so.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 2:00 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
If you do eVOA, there is just a small sticker for entry, and the usual exit stamp in your passport. Total less than 1/5 of a page.
It is not like the old VOA which took a full page. So running low on pages should not be an excuse not to use the USA passport.
Just make sure to indicate where exactly you want your stocker on. Quite a few officers like to put them on a blank page, when I don't say anything in advance. Some of them are mean (South African officers, twice!), despite asking politely, they stamped on blank pages...on purpose.

So I wish all countries follow HK and KR to abolish stamping.
stevento likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:30 am

I was once detained in JNB because there was a small stamp on one of the two last blank pages. The officer put my family and me in the detention center with the rest of the smugglers and drug traffickers, and held us there for 2 hrs threatening to send us back where we came from (Zimbabwe in this case, where we needed to get 2 visas which took up 2 full pages). He took a lot of pleasure watching us beg him to let us in.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Ramadan in Jakarta and Bali

I just returned from AUH and MCT where Ramadan had a moderate and significant effect, respectively, on my tourist activities like cafes, restaurants, and shops opening time. Is there a similar effect in Asian Muslim cities like CGK and DPS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.