Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by fbrdky
I just returned from AUH and MCT where Ramadan had a moderate and significant effect, respectively, on my tourist activities like cafes, restaurants, and shops opening time. Is there a similar effect in Asian Muslim cities like CGK and DPS?
DPS is not majority Muslim.

CGK is fairly easy to get food during the day. Most hotels cater to both Muslims and non-Muslims. At my hotel in Jakarta they serve a normal breakfast, and the Sahoor prefasting meal. Alcohol may be limited in some venues. It’s freely flowing at my hotel.

Some restaurants have curtains that they pull closed during the day, so you can eat in peace. All shops seem to be open normal hours.
fbrdky likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
DPS is not majority Muslim.

CGK is fairly easy to get food during the day. Most hotels cater to both Muslims and non-Muslims. At my hotel in Jakarta they serve a normal breakfast, and the Sahoor prefasting meal. Alcohol may be limited in some venues. It’s freely flowing at my hotel.

Some restaurants have curtains that they pull closed during the day, so you can eat in peace. All shops seem to be open normal hours.
I saw some differences in DPS. I saw significantly less guests at my hotel after Ramadan started. Breakfast schedule didn't change and didn't start till 7 as usual. I don't know if there was any special arrangement for Muslim guests. They were advertising Iftar set menu. Alcohol was as usual.

Many restaurants I found were a lot less busier than usual during day, and some of them didn't open until after dark. I didn't see curtained off restaurants in DPS.
fbrdky likes this.

Last edited by maverikbc; Apr 15, 2023 at 12:29 am
Old May 9, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I was in Jakarta at the tail end of Ramadan. I had breakfast at my hotel after sunrise and I was the only guest partaking. Eating during the day wasn't an issue as there were plenty of restaurants open. I was at Surabaya's airport a few days later and the restaurants there had curtains that symbolically hid patrons from the general public.

Just as an FYI for anyone reading this in the future and needs to get a SIM card upon arrival at CGK: Upon exiting Terminal 3, you'll emerge in an outdoor but covered area. You'll see a kiosk for Bluebird/Silverbird/Goldenbird. Look to the left about 30 metres or so and you'll see a Telkomsel kiosk. Go there and get your SIM. Telkomsel had great service for the duration of my trip, even in remote parts of Borneo. They may charge a bit more than a store in the city but it'll only be a few dollars more, the staff speak great English and will get you online within a few minutes. Finding good English speakers in the city itself is hit or miss.
Old May 10, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by Norexan
They may charge a bit more than a store in the city but it'll only be a few dollars more, the staff speak great English and will get you online within a few minutes. Finding good English speakers in the city itself is hit or miss.
WRite the price you paid and let the readers decide whether it was only a few dollars more or not?

At T3 ride hailing area, there's a good wifi, so I didn't think getting SIM there was necessary.

I flew to DPS without getting/needing a SIM. At a phone store about a km from DPS airport, I got 8gb for 25k, good for 10 days.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 5:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by maverikbc
WRite the price you paid and let the readers decide whether it was only a few dollars more or not?

At T3 ride hailing area, there's a good wifi, so I didn't think getting SIM there was necessary
25GB and 25 minutes of voice for 180K IDR, valid for 30 days. That's like $3 more than the official price.
Old May 17, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cochinjew
This past month i had two experiences of trying to transfer from NRT JL flight Bz class to KUL MH flight and a week later SIN SQ flight to JL NRT flight.
It was comical, as NO ONE seem to know the procedure. A transfer desk in place but it is never manned and there are other official looking people all giving you different explanations.
CGK unforutnately does not allow early issue of Boarding pass, so on both occasions I arrived checked in but without boarding pass .
In both instances it was an unpleasant experience. I lost some valuables also at the security check in as I was in such a hurry to get to the gate.
Best, if you can get a boarding pass
second best: if you have time and ASEAN passport, go through the immigration and get the boarding pass at the airlines counter which must be open
If you have a passport that requires you to pay a fee to clear immigration, then try to get hold of your airline agent at CGK airport and they might come and rescue you with a boarding pass .
In my case, as I was connecting at NRT to JFK, didnt wish to miss the flight, so i begged a young man (they all taking photos with their phones of your previous boarding pass, passport and also your face) to come with me to the gate , after clearning the security. Nearly an hour of back and forth , texting and talking and they finally allowed me to go through the security and I went to the JL gate and they called down to the agent (JL gate agents cant issue boarding passes) and Chrisma the agent very quickly brought by boarding pass and I was able to board the flight . Unable to enjoy Plaza Premium Lounge or the Wifi.
Right now there are very attractive Bz class fare to and fro CGK and that was the reason I flew to CGK and connected to KUL.
No more, it is not worth the hassle and being treated like a criminal by the security, police and airline personnel.
I travel a fair bit, this certainly was the worst transfer experience. Good bye CGK
it is a catch 22. they cant issue boarding passes and you cant enter the transit security without the boarding pass and no one knows what to do!
Adding a bit more info to the above:

1. Apparently, Indonesian regulations require a standard check in desk issued boarding pass for your onward flight in order to transit airside. While I witnessed someone argue their way through with a mobile boarding pass, there is certainly a risk you'll be forced to go through standard immigration. Best to have your onward boarding pass issued by the agent checking you in to your flight TO Jakarta if at all possible.
2. Behind the scenes, the authorities require a Letter of Guarantee issued by your inbound airline. I don't know what the letter says specifically but it is issued by the airline to immigration/customs. This adds to the overall process time.
3. Despite transiting, Indonesian Customs and Immigration will still review your passport and onward boarding pass (and take pictures of everything).

While everyone is kind and accommodating, it's best to be prepared for a long process. Multiple people need to be summoned (airline agent, airport agent, immigration agent, customs agent) to facilitate the airside transfer process.
Old May 25, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Luggage storage

Are there any luggage storage options at CGK? Sleepinginairports mentions a few but trying to confirm. Thx
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by LittleBird
Are there any luggage storage options at CGK? Sleepinginairports mentions a few but trying to confirm. Thx
At CGK now and wanted to confirm that .box luggage storage is available here. You’ll need to go to the Domestic Arrivals section of the airport and it’s on the G floor. Open 24 hours.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:01 am

At CGK now and wanted to confirm that .box luggage storage is available here. You’ll need to go to the Domestic Arrivals section of the airport and it’s on the G floor. Open 24 hours.
How were the prices? Trying to decide whether to stash a couple of bags there for 2-5 days. Appreciate the on the ground info!
Old Jun 19, 2023, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
How were the prices? Trying to decide whether to stash a couple of bags there for 2-5 days. Appreciate the on the ground info!
See attached photos

Outside of storefront, access from Domestic Arrivals on G Floor

Price list current as of 18 June 2023
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 7:41 pm

See attached photos

Outside of storefront, access from Domestic Arrivals on G Floor

Price list current as of 18 June 2023
Thank you very much. This should make storing extra bags during the trip easier.
LittleBird likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
Thank you very much. This should make storing extra bags during the trip easier.
No worries, just make sure that if you’re arriving Internationally you’re gonna have to exit the Terminal building, going outside, turning left, then re-entering the Terminal at Domestic Arrivals. (We didn’t know the two aren’t actually
connected and spent ages trying to get there).
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Just did a transit at CGK and here are some datapoints, as of June 30:
Was doing a HND-CGK-BKK transit, from NH to TG. No airside transit, wasn't expecting it. Although when I passed the transit desk, it looked like a few GA (Garuda) agents were there helping passengers. I didn't inquire, I did the eVOA. All in all, it took just under 1h from getting off the plane to the Plaza Premium lounge.

Landed at one of the far gates at T3, walk to immigration took around 12-15min
I had eVOA but immigration still took 20min, due to a EK flight that arrived right before
Made my way back upstairs to TG desks to print boarding pass, took around 5-10min
Another 10min for security and exit immigration
Lastly, 8-10min walk to Plaza Premium lounge

Timing-wise it was what I was expecting as I did it a few months ago. But all the time spent walking and standing and waiting in line is quite draining.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:46 am

Programs: Cheapest lie-flat available and credit card bestowed hotel elites now, long-time AA EXtraPotato then
I’m taking GA on a CAN-CGK-SYD routing. From reading this post it seems there is no airside transfer. Aside from eVOA, do I need to collect the baggage and recheck them in the departure level? The transfer time is 4h10min. Is this plenty? Same ticket.

thanks a lot!
Old Jul 4, 2023, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jerrychuang
I’m taking GA on a CAN-CGK-SYD routing. From reading this post it seems there is no airside transfer. Aside from eVOA, do I need to collect the baggage and recheck them in the departure level? The transfer time is 4h10min. Is this plenty? Same ticket.

thanks a lot!
If it's a straightforward, single-ticketed transfer between two international flights operated by Garuda, the airline should facilitate an airside transfer. For peace of mind though, you might ask the airline for reassurance.
jerrychuang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.