Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn
Another place close to Plaza Dorrego is Sagardi - its a Basque Tapas bar but it also has a sit down restaurant. I know they are doing a gala dinner on the night you mention . Will try and see if there is an English menu.
I'd be surprised if there isn't some English competency @ Sagardi. Also, the mention is for several nights ("from Christmas to NYE").
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
The great thing when you have tapas at Sagardi is that you don't need English . You pick what you want from the available tapas and they charge you according to the number of cocktail sticks left on your plate!!!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:00 pm

Both of those suggestions look fantastic! I think we are in BA for 4 nights. We arrive on the 28th and stay to the new year. We will be in Montevideo from Christmas even until then.

I have bookmarked both. My Spanish is passable. I am pretty decent with food. I used to be decently fluent but just am rarely around it these days. I just can't make meaningful conversations.

Are reservations recommended for either Sagardi or La Brigada? I think we will try both. I'm drooling just looking at the menus.

Is it hard to avoid the fish at Sagardi? I see a lot on their main menu and I cannot eat fish.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:39 pm

Sagardi is really a meat eaters paradise . I will try and photograph the parilla at the weekend!

At the bar area , there is a huge selection of tapas , not too many fishie ones , if I recall !

No reservations for the Tapas area but you would be wise to reserve for both restaurants!
MissJ likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:43 pm

IF you like meat the entrana is excellent!

If you are hungry , the Txuleton is what you need !!
MissJ likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:13 pm

You all are awesome. I cannot wait to feast.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:34 am

I am a big La Brigada fan.... Will be there on saturday with some Australian friends . Watch this space for an up to date report.!
Great meal on Saturday night at La Brigada! Service was pretty good as well!

We had three different cuts of meat - Ojo de Bife con Hueso , Bife de Chorizo and Colita de Lomo - all were excellent!
HIDDY and MissJ like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great meal on Saturday night at La Brigada! Service was pretty good as well!

We had three different cuts of meat - Ojo de Bife con Hueso , Bife de Chorizo and Colita de Lomo - all were excellent!
Any La Brigada updates since this?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's food:

1) Lunch was at De Lucia in the Mercado San Telmo. If you're a vegetarian or just want some vegetables to keep some of your circulatory and/or digestive systems functioning, this is a great place to eat. On the other hand, the menu had some selections that would make any artery clogger proud. We shared:
a) Tabla te verduras (or whatever it may have been called). A selection of various salady-type items, some chunks of bread and a few pieces of cheese. Dee-lish.
b) Ensalada de Salmon - much of the same that was on the tabla, with a few extra greens, and laminas of lox. Very tasty.
c) Tortilla with roasted tomatoes. Also, very tasty. And very filling.

That was plenty enough food that (with no breakfast, and that for lunch, we didn't eat until...)

2) Dinner at El Baqueano. This went from just a a great restaurant in my humble little mind many years ago to a must go place where I can't imagine a trip here without a visit. 3 of us were there for 3+ hours and had a fantastic meal. About 3 of the courses were repeats, the rest were new. And with the new (revived) Dolar Blue, you can have a $200 to $300 meal (i.e., a similar place in SF or NY) for about $50 dollars + beverages (at least for the time being, if you pay in cash and get your dough in the right place). From the broken record department, this place has an eclectic and interesting wine list, with stuff you won't find in most places in the country. Tonight's last savory course was ostrich in a andino potato puree that reminded me of sausage gravy, in the most delicious and not greasy and "I won't feel good later" way.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I had a memorable dinner at Gran Dabbang. I saved it on my Tripadvisor trip map months ago and forgot exactly what it was other than highly rated. It turned out to be Indian-Korean fusion. Very odd, but everything was delicious. I've never understood firsthand the term "layers of flavors" until then.

They don't take reservations. We arrived at 8:30 and had a ~1 hour wait out on the sidewalk with 4-5 other parties. Good service. Cost was ~US$40 for two people.

We ordered:
Spicy pickled chiles
Labne, date chutney, cucumber, and chickpea noodle nest thing (honestly I've never seen anything like it)
Swiss chard pakoras with carrot chutney, drenched in siracha and yogurt (I'd ask for the sauces on the side or half as much drizzled next time)
Charred aubergine with miso tahini, ginger banana caju, shiso seeds, and nori
Pork matambrito with gochujang, coconut, grilled mango, and peanut salad
Rabbit curry with green peach salad and coconut chutney (I didn't try this one; rabbits are too cute)
Three maybe half-liter bottles of housemade sparkling water
Shared dessert - Black Dabbang carob and honey pot de creme type thing with indescribable crunchy honeycomb candy things and fruit jellies

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._District.html
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
New listing by Allie Lazar

Here is a new listing, and updated restaurants by Allie Lazar whom is a food writer and critic. Thanks to her and Eater.com for the list:https://www.eater.com/maps/best-buen...ants-argentina

Read on and enjoy!
Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a fun, and interesting read on spicy food in Buenos Aires.

https://www.thebubble.com/spicy-food-buenos-aires
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for sharing !!
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Get your booze early tonight! Election Day tomorrow

prohibition of the sale of alcohol in shops and bars from 8 p.m. the night before voters hit the polls
Old Nov 13, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
prohibition of the sale of alcohol in shops and bars from 8 p.m. the night before voters hit the polls
Always fun. The census is even more fun - the cops were out ready for the midnight gauntlet. (All bets were off on that one when Nestor died on Census day.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.