Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
What a coincidence you would also mention Tafelspitz..... ^
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:49 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 1, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Although I'm more into locro for national stew, I have to confess a good puchero in a cold day is very nice. That said, in Buenos Aires is mostly a home dish - besides the Plaza it's very hard to find somewhere they make it propperly.

I have read that during the closure, all the Plaza staff, including its chef, are moving to the new Alvear Hotel due to open in June in Puerto Madero – hopefully the puchero moves along with them.

Edit- I can confirm from a friend who yesterday had the last puchero at the Plaza that the said stew is moving in June to the new Alvear Icon in Puerto Madero.

Last edited by Marambio; May 1, 2017 at 7:27 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
1880 Restaurant
Defensa 1665
Tel. 4307-2746[/QUOTE]

Puchero sounds like what those of us from New Mexico, USA, call Caldo de Res, but it's not readily available in restaurants (and then only in cold weather months). After seeing this thread I tried to go to 1880 Restaurant Sunday and yesterday but it was unfortunately closed both days. I am now at EZE in the *A Lounge so I'll have to wait until the next trip. Needless to say there's no puchero here in the Lounge.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Excellent news about the Puchero move to Puerto Madero........

Alvear Icon, here we come !!!!! ^

Originally Posted by Marambio
Although I'm more into locro for national stew, I have to confess a good puchero in a cold day is very nice. That said, in Buenos Aires is mostly a home dish - besides the Plaza it's very hard to find somewhere they make it propperly.

I have read that during the closure, all the Plaza staff, including its chef, are moving to the new Alvear Hotel due to open in June in Puerto Madero – hopefully the puchero moves along with them.

Edit- I can confirm from a friend who yesterday had the last puchero at the Plaza that the said stew is moving in June to the new Alvear Icon in Puerto Madero.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:28 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:49 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 5, 2017, 2:31 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:48 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cyborg
I'll stay at another property and transit on over for food and drink as circumstances would inspire.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Should you be inspired, please report, so I may be inspired to take the 20 minute walk.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:10 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:47 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 7, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Just took delivery of my allocation of Catena Zapata Estiba Reservada 2010.......
Old May 16, 2017, 2:48 pm

Puchero at the Plaza is done for now...

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:46 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 21, 2017, 3:17 pm

Probably not the type of food tourists want to try in Buenos Aires, but Brasserie Pétanque in San Telmo is still the best upper-mid-range French restaurant in town.

We went for lunch today for the first time in years and had a pretty good experience – my cordon-bleu was nice and the mussels with fries of Madame were on a par with restaurants in France. Both desserts (tarte tatin and crème brûlée) were also good.

There were a few tables of French families, most likely expats, which means the place is good.

With a bottle of Malbec, two waters and deux cafés, the bill was 1270 ARS + tip, which is reasonable in expensive BA these days.

Last edited by Marambio; May 21, 2017 at 3:23 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Probably not the type of food tourists want to try in Buenos Aires, but Brasserie Pétanque in San Telmo is still the best upper-mid-range French restaurant in town.

With a bottle of Malbec, two waters and deux cafés, the bill was 1270 ARS + tip, which is reasonable in expensive BA these days.
$100 USD including tip? Pretty good deal. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We went for lunch today for the first time in years and had a pretty good experience – my cordon-bleu was nice and the mussels with fries of Madame were on a par with restaurants in France. Both desserts (tarte tatin and crème brûlée) were also good.

There were a few tables of French families, most likely expats, which means the place is good.

Sounds okay. ^

Were the mussels still in their shells? I've yet to see a fresh mussel in Argentina. All the ones I've seen have been frozen and they haven't looked very appetising. I only buy them tinned.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sounds okay. ^

Were the mussels still in their shells? I've yet to see a fresh mussel in Argentina. All the ones I've seen have been frozen and they haven't looked very appetising. I only buy them tinned.
Yes they were in their shells. You made me think and it's true that outside coastal cities –Mar del Plata, etc– it's mostly frozen mussels, which is a shame as they loose most of their flavour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.