Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
prohibition of the sale of alcohol in shops and bars from 8 p.m. the night before voters hit the polls
I stocked up on Friday!!!!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Always fun. The census is even more fun - the cops were out ready for the midnight gauntlet. (All bets were off on that one when Nestor died on Census day.)
When Nestor died I was on a plane from Madrid to EZE - WIFI on long haul didn't exist then

But when we arrived, half the plane switched on their phones - loud cheers from some and other people crying ...it was a huge mix of emotions.

Pretty crazy all round - we are having family asado tomorrow - there will be plenty of beer and wine - I still can't figure out why to is still prohibited in restaurants and stores.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn

Pretty crazy all round - we are having family asado tomorrow - there will be plenty of beer and wine - I still can't figure out why to is still prohibited in restaurants and stores.
It may be a good thing. Otherwise there could be a subsidized Plan Fernet Para Todos which could affect election results.
malagajohn likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I have a reservation for dinner at Don Julio. How much cash should I bring with me? Menu prices on their website don't really make sense, and menu/check photos I've found online are from 2019 or so, so I don't put much stock in them given the currency devaluation.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Erdely’s Kurtos

While not exactly fine dining this little snack is something unique to find in Buenos Aires. The Kurto ( I believe has its origins in Romania ) is a delicious merienda idea and is located in the Mercat Villa Crespo. Worth a stop if your in the area. It’s on the second level of Mercat Villa Crespo.

Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
While not exactly fine dining this little snack is something unique to find in Buenos Aires. The Kurto ( I believe has its origins in Romania ) is a delicious merienda idea and is located in the Mercat Villa Crespo. Worth a stop if your in the area. It’s on the second level of Mercat Villa Crespo.

https://youtu.be/0C1TArfkWNE
thanks for posting (it’s just down the road from Sarkis) If I don’t have the baklava there, this looks like a nice dessert!
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:36 am

Not too far from the mother-in-law's house...

Should I visit soon?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by malagajohn
Not too far from the mother-in-law's house...

Should I visit soon?
i think you should. Could probably have lunch there and have that after. They have a decent selection of options at the food court.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by CLEguy
I have a reservation for dinner at Don Julio. How much cash should I bring with me? Menu prices on their website don't really make sense, and menu/check photos I've found online are from 2019 or so, so I don't put much stock in them given the currency devaluation.
I have this place booked in myself. First time to BA and I have been told to pay restaurant tips in US dollars, is that right?

Are credit cards readily accepted in most places for large spends (restaurants etc) or should I bring more cash? Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by yokozuma
I have this place booked in myself. First time to BA and I have been told to pay restaurant tips in US dollars, is that right?

Are credit cards readily accepted in most places for large spends (restaurants etc) or should I bring more cash? Thanks.
My understanding is that using cc in Argentina is a bad idea, as you'll get the official exchange rate (~100 ARS to 1 USD) when the "informal" rate is ~200 ARS to 1 USD. See this thread for more.
Flying Machine and yokozuma like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by yokozuma

I agree with the reply, that it’s best to settle all expenses in ARS at the local blue rate. Including waiters tips. It is not in your best interest to use a credit card for any transaction. Enjoy the experience at Don Julio. Pablo really knows how to run a restaurant. And if you get an opportunity to see their wine cellar, that is a wonderful experience along with the sensory evaluation. He provided the same experience for me last time I visited, as we are acquainted through a local friend. Enjoy!
yokozuma likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:23 am

I agree with the reply, that it’s best to settle all expenses in ARS at the local blue rate. Including waiters tips. It is not in your best interest to use a credit card for any transaction. Enjoy the experience at Don Julio. Pablo really knows how to run a restaurant. And if you get an opportunity to see their wine cellar, that is a wonderful experience along with the sensory evaluation. He provided the same experience for me last time I visited, as we are acquainted through a local friend. Enjoy!
yokozuma and I have the same question which remains unanswered: how much should we expect this meal to cost? Speaking for myself, the amount isn't really an issue either way, but I'd like to ballpark the amount of cash I need to bring in-country generally, and this would help with that exercise.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy
yokozuma and I have the same question which remains unanswered: how much should we expect this meal to cost? Speaking for myself, the amount isn't really an issue either way, but I'd like to ballpark the amount of cash I need to bring in-country generally, and this would help with that exercise.

This is a fairly recent copy of the menu, bear in mind a steak can shared by two people when ordering a salad and an appetizer to be shared as well in my opinion.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:39 pm

This is a fairly recent copy of the menu, bear in mind a steak can shared by two people when ordering a salad and an appetizer to be shared as well in my opinion.
Thank you! So a rib eye (for example, is 3950 ARS? Fantastic!
yokozuma likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 8:14 pm

Thanks to the ideas in this thread.

I discovered La Brigada for a great parilla. The ambience and service really make this a special place. My T-bone steak was perfect. The solomillo was excellent. Unfortunately a bife de chorizo was overcooked. The provoleta with morones was a great starter. The fries were really outstanding. From the deserts my highlights were zapallo en almibar (pumpkin in syrup) and sambayon. On the expensive side at 33,000 ARS excl tip for 6 people but with the cash exchange rate it works out at approx 200 USD which is a bargain in any US or European city.

Next week I had Osaka reserved. However after hearing feedback here I decided to swap that for a reservation at Chila.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Fervor where the ojo de bife is especially notable.

Next stop on our trip is Mar del Plata in case anyone has recommendations there.
Brandinho1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.